Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 163 total)
  • How many driving lessons should I take before doing my test btw im a student
  • Cougar

There’s no set number of lessons, as others have said, it varies from student to student. If you’re doing weekly lessons instead of a condensed course over a weekend, your instructor will give a recommendation as to when he thinks you’re ready to do your test. In your case I don’t imagine it’ll take many lessons at all, as you appear to already know everything.

As for insurance, after everything you’ve written here I’d suggest you consider fully comp insurance. You’ll be glad of it inside of six months when you have to retrieve a rubber-side upwards Corsa from a field.

doris5000

Also, as I posted in the thread about speeding there are some strange pressures involved in the driving test which seem to me to be misplaced priorities.

Absolutely – my instructor told me of a student who failed for doing ‘only’ 45 on an NSL road. A slightly narrow, slightly twisty road, in damp and poor visibility conditions. He sat in on the pupil’s test and later told the pupil that he even wouldn’t go over 45 himself on that road in those conditions. He used to make me barrel down the **** at speeds that felt blatantly unsafe!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Can I GoPro my test?

vickypea
    Free Member

If your question is related to estimated cost, then you need to factor in the possibility of not passing your test first time.

Not sure why you would spend a load of money buying a car and not have it insured already?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Absolutely – my instructor told me of a student who failed for doing ‘only’ 45 on an NSL road. A slightly narrow, slightly twisty road, in damp and poor visibility conditions. He sat in on the pupil’s test and later told the pupil that he even wouldn’t go over 45 himself on that road in those conditions. He used to make me barrel down the **** at speeds that felt blatantly unsafe!

We had almost exactly the same here.

It’s a 50 but the lane is very narrow (and has pedestrian refuges making it even narrower further down) and in the morning there’s usually a long queue of standing traffic coming towards you which makes the sightlines crappy. My instructor had had people failed for dropping down to 40 on that stretch so he’d be constantly telling me to keep my speed up – which felt like a daft idea.

doris5000

oof. Yeah, this was my road in question…

Presumably they just have to fail a given ratio of people?

jonba
    Free Member

As well as when you passed you should probably also add how well you passed. Scrape through with a dozen or more minors or do it with awesomeness (like me 😉 ) and only get one. For steering, I think he just didn’t want to let me pass with a perfect score.

This thread needs more chaved up car pictures. Never understood why people buy corsa and do them up. Why not justbuy a decent car?

wilburt
    Free Member

No lessons..past first time 1989ish, twas easy.

grenosteve
    Free Member

wilburt – Member

Back then you only had to make the horse move forward two feet though. 😉 😛

lemonysam
    Free Member

Back then you only had to make the horse move forward two feet though.

Have you ever tried parallel parking a two horse Phaeton? Bloody murder.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think the biggest thing you can have on your side is good luck. If someone does something completely daft whilst you’re on your test it’s almost always going to give the tester something to think about

I got stuck behind a bin lorry doing collections on my test, on a busy road, after about 5 minutes one fo the workers waved me past (yes, i know, highway code says never trust someoens elses signals/judgement, make sure you check everything etc etc), straight into an oncoming car!

Still passed. It was my 2nd attempt and apparently unless you repeatt he same mistake you failed for the fist time they’re quite leanient.

simmy
    Free Member

P- Jay, never try becoming an instructor mate…..

bigyinn
    Free Member

The Vauxhal Corsa exists solely to prove that the people who buy them know **** all about cars.

wilburt
    Free Member

grenosteve – Member
    wilburt – Member
    Back then you only had to make the horse move forward two feet though.

Quite possibly but I did the mock theory on line last week and past first time as well.

I’m probably just a driving God.

chewkw
    Free Member

doris5000 – Member

oof. Yeah, this was my road in question…

Presumably they just have to fail a given ratio of people?

That looks like the road to hell insisting on certain speed. 😯

Northwind

bigyinn – Member

The Vauxhal Corsa exists solely to prove that the people who buy them know **** all about cars.

Paging MC to the thread 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Yay, more banter!

slowoldman

I’ve decided to replace some of my mods with the original parts for the first year then put then back on once my premiums dropped

Make sure you leave the seats, full harnesses and roll cage in to qualify for that lower insurance.

john_drummer
    Free Member

little message to the haters ” I don’t give f*** what you say because that’s simply your view on things you see I only see a bunch of haters seeking attention because they cannot give advice on driving because they are probably not driving themselves” anyway

a word of advice, as if you’re likely to take it… just ignore “the haters”

wilburt
    Free Member

I thought the mods were reducing the insurance premiums due to additional safety features?

jumperalpine
    Free Member

I like to see this post has gone over the 100 mark hopefully we have enough banter fuel to keep it going also i checked insurance after I took out the loud exhaust and other mods except the seats and harnesses now it’s only £1600 which is good so the posts objective has been achieved we should start a sick jokes post now and see if we can keep it going

chewkw
    Free Member

wilburt – Member

I thought the mods were reducing the insurance premiums due to additional safety features?

Nope. The opposite.

They usually come up with plenty of silly reasons to determine their premium like the shape of the moon rock that fell down to earth million of years ago. The taste of the air we breath in and the number of tree that might fart.

😈

1981miked
    Free Member

Wow.. You are the ultimate of awesomeness. Your banter is the bestest! Wish I could be as witty as you. I dare say the majority of people on here have skidded further than you have currently driven.

But you keep the massive chip on you shoulder.. It’s definitely all about you!

Nobody else on here can drive. Please stay and educate us. We love you.

jumperalpine
    Free Member

Wilburt certain mods raised it while enhanced safety mods lowered it but by taking the mods that raised it away my insurance quote reduced significantly

njee20
    Free Member

Nope. The opposite.

They usually come up with plenty of silly reasons to determine their premium like the shape of the moon rock that fell down to earth million of years ago. The taste of the air we breath in and the number of tree that might fart.

He was joking, based on this comment from the OP:

because I have recaro race seats with chest harnesses and I also have a lot of safety features installed so this lowers the insurance because it’s safer than most normal cars

I’m skeptical, this:

I took out the loud exhaust and other mods except the seats and harnesses now it’s only £1600

Sounds very cheap indeed for any mods whatsoever, or even an unmodded car, for someone who’s just passed their test (or are you insuring it as someone who’s not yet passed?), and is in their (presumably) early 20s with zero experience?

If that’s insured with a provisional licence you’re going to get a horrific shock when you actually pass your test and try and insure it. Because you can’t drive alone as a learner it’s always vastly cheaper – people tend not to drive like **** when their parent is beside them!

jumperalpine
    Free Member

Yes I put the car back to stock apart from the seats and harnesses and that is the quote I got fact is ive found out what I need to know why are u still going on about insurance I said sick jokes is next njee

jumperalpine
    Free Member

I’ll start the jokes – whats purple and orange and lies at the bottom of the swimming pool?

njee20
    Free Member

My question is potentially very relevant to you, that’s all. Assuming you’ll have passed your test in a couple of months the price you’re paying now is an irrelevance and I’d start saving if I were you.

chewkw
    Free Member

jumperalpine – Member

Wilburt certain mods raised it while enhanced safety mods lowered it but by taking the mods that raised it away my insurance quote reduced significantly

Could you let me know the mods that lowered the insurance premium please as I want to know.

The insurance companies want to quote me silly when I told them I intend to have stiffer coil springs for my car …

At the moment I have jellied coil springs and when my 20 stones plus friend sit in the car it tilted one side … damn I thought I have hippo in my car.

😯

jumperalpine
    Free Member

Njee I have £5000 saved in my bank account from previous years so i am prepared and chewkw I have recaro racing seats and recaro body harnesses which lower the insurance

jumperalpine
    Free Member

The answer to the joke is – a baby with burst armbands

jamesfts
    Free Member

Bollocks.

Bucket seats and harnesses will not reduce your premium.

They might be safer on track combined with other safety devices but in a road car I’d say they might even increase risk of injury in a lower speed collision.

Never mind the fact the insurance company don’t know who fitted them and if they had any idea what they were doing (I’m not saying they have been badly fitted, just could have been.). Just as an example, the angle at which the shoulder straps are mounted in particular is very important in terms of safety.

wilburt
    Free Member

I suspect the increased premiums for young drivers who modify cars is based on a higher incidence of large claims from the hundreds of thousands of young drivers that have preceded you.

Something to do with poor decision making and tendency to act on impulse..but hey what do they know.

slowoldman

I have recaro racing seats and recaro body harnesses which lower the insurance

Ooh I think I smell something brown and bovine.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Try fitting a roll cage!

Troll cage, more like.

breadcrumb

Fitting bucket seats and harnesses is not safer. In the event of a roll the harness and seats keep you pinned upright, allowing the roof to come in contact with your head. Bucket seats and harnesses should be used with a cage.

The young lads at work are spending thousands on insurance for their first year, I’d sooner not bother.

wwaswas

I think curiousyellow and jumperalpine are from the same mould.

Cougar

little message to the haters ” I don’t give f*** what you say

And therein lies the problem.

I only see a bunch of haters seeking attention because they cannot give advice on driving because they are probably not driving themselves”

Or, have been driving for longer than you’ve been breathing.

I have recaro racing seats and recaro body harnesses which lower the insurance

Horseshit.

If you can show me an insurance provider which will offer LOWER premiums to a new, young driver on a Corsa because they’ve fitted a racing harness and Recaros, I’ll give you my bike.

Cougar

Actually, you know what? I will give you some advice.

I’ve had my share of boy racing, I believe in making progress, and for all your willy-waving about your 1.2L fartbox I will beat you off the lights if I really wanted to (which I probably don’t). Against your Corsa, I could probably do it on foot.

Your age isn’t your issue. Nor is your car. Your attitude is your problem, and if you don’t check it then you’re going to end up hurt and out of pocket, or worse.

There a lot of people here who know what they’re talking about (and a few who talk out of the top of their heads). You’d do well to listen to some of them, they’ve almost certainly been where you are now, come out the other side, and dealt with it all over again with their kids.

njee20
    Free Member

^^ this.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘How many driving lessons should I take before doing my test btw im a student’ is closed to new replies.