Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)
  • How many driving lessons should I take before doing my test btw im a student
  • jumperalpine
    Free Member

I was wondering how many driving lessons I should take before I do my test and roughly how much I should expect to spend on the whole process of getting a license it would be much appreciated btw im a college student so any advice would be great cheers

chewkw
    Free Member

£20 to £26 per hour.

How much in total? That depends on how good you are at learning.

Budget for min £1k if you have driven before otherwise perhaps £1.5k or more if you are a slow learner.

🙂

edit: I didn’t have a car to practice on at that time so I only drove in my instructor’s car. I think I managed to drive at least once a week or once every two weeks. Took me a year plus to finally take my test. Passed 1st time but took the theory test twice. I think I had 15 to 20 lessons or something like that …

jumperalpine
    Free Member

I’m quick at learning and have had experience driving before I’ve also got my provisional and theory test passed and at 1k how many lessons are we talking would 10 or 20 be good perhaps I don’t know I just need to know how many lessons really

JohnnyPanic

n+1

TrevorB

My daughter had 20 lessons including the test, we used an independent instructor. She also had some practice hours with mum (not me, i’m too grumpy) 😉

poonprice
    Free Member

Depends how easy you find it.

Took me 9 lessons, my mate did his a day or so after his 17th birthday and I know others that had like 50 lessons and took test 5 times.

chambord
    Free Member

I did 18 hour lessons when I was 17-18. I think most of my mates were about the same. I should point out that the town I did it in had 1 set of traffic lights and 2 roundabouts so there wasn’t much to go wrong (I still took 2 attempts, mind).

jumperalpine
    Free Member

Cheers guys this is great help hopefully going by your averages it should be less than £600 cheers also do any of you know what insurance i should expect as I’ve already brought a car( it’s modded )

Garry_Lager

It will vary hugely on whether you have access to driving away from the lessons, whether you basically know how to drive and just need to be taught the correct way to do it etc etc.

For me it was 20-25 lessons IIRC to get test ready, with little other driving and from a cold start. I’m a pretty average driver, but a good test-taker 😉 , so that was it done. The test is a nerve-wracker, so dealing with that is half the battle.

chewkw
    Free Member

jumperalpine – Member
    … any of you know what insurance i should expect as I’ve already brought a car( it’s modded )

What sort of modification? Car specs?

I think your insurance will at least be £2.5k if you are lucky …

Get something standard without modification.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I did 8, but only coz I paid in advance for them in a block. Didn’t have car to practice in. Passed first time. Anyone with a few years of urban cycling should find it a piece of piss IMO.

chambord
    Free Member

also do any of you know what insurance i should expect as I’ve already brought a car( it’s modded )

Will depend massively on where you live and how it’s modded. My first car was a 1 litre Rover Metro with no modifications, still cost me well over a thousand quid a year to insure it

br
    Free Member

I was wondering how many driving lessons I should take before I do my test

Part of the ‘cost’ on your lessons is that your Instructor will advise you when they think you are ready.

jumperalpine
    Free Member

I have a black vauxhall corsa twinport 1.2 16v four door with black alloys a speaker system and custom trim kit and high performance exhaust kit any idea of the insurance I can expect annually or preferably monthly cheers

simmy
    Free Member

How many lessons ? Enough for you to be able to drive without any instruction.

Could be anything from 20 – 45 hours ( not lessons as some are 2 hours……)

I’m a Driving Instructor and I send my Students to test when I can just sit next to them and pretend to be a Sat Nav literally saying left, right etc. Quickest I’ve had is 3 hours ( ex car thief ) longest 105 hours ( gobby 17 year old girl who thought the world owed her something )

My average is about 35 – 40 hours from complete beginner.

Oh and if you want cheap insurance, sell that Corsa 😉

jumperalpine
    Free Member

I paid too much for the corsa and have invested a lot of time energy and money into it and insurance is only £2200 because I have recaro race seats with chest harnesses and I also have a lot of safety features installed so this lowers the insurance because it’s safer than most normal cars

njee20
    Free Member

I have a black vauxhall corsa twinport 1.2 16v four door with black alloys a speaker system and custom trim kit and high performance exhaust kit any idea of the insurance I can expect annually or preferably monthly cheers

1) learn to punctuate
    2) get some quotes, we’re not here to do your homework. It’ll depend on factors like where you live, mileage etc. I’d expect £300 a month +

because I have recaro race seats with chest harnesses and I also have a lot of safety features installed so this lowers the insurance because it’s safer than most normal cars

That doesn’t help the occupants of the other car you’re statistically very likely to hit.

jumperalpine
    Free Member

Also I don’t mind about the price of the insurance i earn plenty of money as I’m a carpenter/bench joiner and i work at a well renowned cycling shop which both have good pay

simmy
    Free Member

I stand corrected then mate, are all the mods declared ? What area are you in ? I’m in Bolton and insurance for Corsas round here is £4-5 k

njee20
    Free Member

Also I don’t mind about the price of the insurance i earn plenty of money as I’m a carpenter/bench joiner and i work at a well renowned cycling shop which both have good pay

Why ask then?

This entire thread seems to happening on fast forward. You asked what we thought it would cost, then had a quote, now don’t care. In 15 minutes.

jumperalpine
    Free Member

Njee I can punctuate I have a A in English language and literature I was simply writing in a quick way as this is a forum and not a formal letter or English exam perhaps I should do some homework for you, because clearly your suffering from a learning difficulty if you really think think in gonna pay £3600 insurance a year (that’s 12 x 300 ) in case your brains working a bit slow why don’t you grow a brain, use it and say something useful why not take some tips from the other guys on this post as they’ve got the idea. I suppose it probably doesn’t help you were born a half developed foetus #Dont talk s*** on my post

jamesfts
    Free Member

… because I have recaro race seats with chest harnesses and I also have a lot of safety features installed so this lowers the insurance because it’s safer than most normal cars

Yeah… that’s not how it works unfortunately.

Regardless if the seats/harnesses etc are actually safer or not an insurance company will see them as aftermarket modifications and increase your premium accordingly. You want to see your insurance triple? Try fitting a roll cage!

jonba
    Free Member

From my own experience it was somewhere around 30hours. I spoke to my instructor about it. No previous driving experience but years of cycling on the road meant I had some good road sense.

My instructor arranged a mock test with his colleague. Very helpful.

You should take your test when you are able to drive, not when you are able to pass your test imo.

Is pass plus still going. That dropped my first year insurance by more than the cost of the extra lessons. Also meant I had some instruction on motorways, country roads, bad weather etc.

jumperalpine
    Free Member

I didn’t say I don’t care I actually wanted to get an idea anyway if your not gonna say something useful why even post on here

jonba
    Free Member

Try fitting a roll cage!

They use statistics to calculate premiums. I’ve never felt the need for a roll cage.People who fit roll cages, probably feel they need one – maybe it has something to do with the way they drive? 🙂

jumperalpine
    Free Member

I have declared all mods btw and the seats aren’t extra so long as they are designed for that car and they comply with certain safety standards

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

I did 20 hours, failed two tests and then gave it up for 2 years as I moved abroad. Started again, another 10 lessons, another failed test, and then a similar number before passing.

It was really the test that became a bit of a bogey man, I was fine driving way before I actually managed to pass. Having the instructor sit in the back (didn’t know you could do this!) on the one I passed helped calm me down a bit and relax in to it

njee20
    Free Member

I have a A in English language

There is no hope.

You seem a charming fellow, very quick on the insults there. A chavvy Corsa sounds like the perfect vehicle for you! If you can insure it having just passed your test, all mods declared, for £2200 then you’re doing very well indeed.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Or where they drive it… race/track cars also need to be insured 😉

A cage in a road car would probably result in severe head injuries if involved in any sort of crash due to lack of crash helmets.

tinybits
    Free Member

Oh God, an angry (rich) disillusioned yoof who has wandered into the IT crowd for advice.
    This isn’t going to end well….

jumperalpine
    Free Member

I did actually get an A in both English language and Literature and I am not a chav i despise them and spit on them u simply like to have a fast car that looks nice do you have a problem with that and those weren’t insults they were facts it’s as simple as that also you don’t have to be Shakespeare to figure that nobody wants you here you simply an irritating noise in my ear trying to be witty here’s some advice why don’t you, log out , close the open tab , close your computer down a go get a brain surgeon to look at your head – directed at njer

jam-bo

simply like to have a fast car that looks nice

Why did you buy a 1.2 corsa then? 😉

jumperalpine
    Free Member

Tiny bits you can’t talk about nothing by your user name alone call me rich if you like i simply just did well for myself i Learnt a profitable trade and took opportunity and succeeded more than you and I’d hardly call this an IT crowed your much like myself you just have a rather pessimist view on the end of this post

jumperalpine
    Free Member

It’s the fastest car I could get as an ideal starter and after the mods it goes quicker than the latest model it would probably beat about 70% of people’s first cars tbh

njee20
    Free Member

Wow.

Wow.

+1

jumperalpine
    Free Member

Oh sorry i forgot its njee not njer does it look like i care (I don’t ) clearly you need some ice as you are suffering from severe verbal burns in fact I’m starting to find you just as annoying as 29ers

njee20
    Free Member

I like you. Been a while since someone like you frequented this place. I look forward to many entertaining threads.

jam-bo

I don’t think you need a licence or insurance. You are awesome….

jumperalpine
    Free Member

Btw you do realise the purpose of this post was to stir some Banter i feel many people have forgotten the true meaning of cycling and that is giving Banter to one another

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘How many driving lessons should I take before doing my test btw im a student’ is closed to new replies.