Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • How mad? Son wanted to purchase a 2011/12 BMW X1.šŸ˜
  • Poopscoop

2L diesel.

I think itā€™s madness for so many reasons right now. Heā€™s 22 for goodness sakes.

Anywayā€¦.

Anyone own one,any thoughts?

glenh
    Free Member

Itā€™s all about the SUVs these days šŸ˜„

Assuming its a diesel, the 2L N47 engine from that period has a known issue with snapping timing chains, and they are expensive to replace pre-emptively as itā€™s an engine out job. It was supposed to be improved /fixed on later versions (which that one will be).

Poopscoop

Sneaky edit.lol

Yeah diesel.

Oh, fsh,99k miles, 2 owners.

Thanks mate.šŸ‘

breadcrumb

I think that was the earlier engines, Iā€™ve got the same engine but in a 3 series (2012), 133k miles and still okay *touches wood*.

Theyā€™re quite small inside, not that would matter to a 22 year old too much.

breadcrumb

Worth noting they cost more to service than some others.

Iā€™ve had to do the speed sensor rings, common on BMW. And the main pulley, that was a stinger at Ā£300.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Tell him it looks like a half sucked boiled sweet.

Christ its ugly/dull.

bails

null is it just me or is that tyre not looking very healthy?

johnners
    Free Member

Iā€™ve had to do the speed sensor rings, common on BMW

Both sides on the rear needed to be done on my 320d. Aftermarket rings are available but be aware the BMW fix is a new driveshaft at umpty-million pounds.

I donā€™t think high(ish) mileage BMW reliability is much better or worse than anything else but an X series has potential for bigger bills than most other makes if anything goes wrong, even outside of the BMW dealer network. Insurance must be a bit grim for a 22 year old, even with that lower tune 2.0.

plyphon
    Free Member

Holy crap that tyre!!

Tell your son something like:

ā€œThat BMW is not a flex at all, it costs Ā£5k and looks awful. The wheels are shit and its slow AFā€

Get a nice A3 black edition or something. Golf GTI. Idk, anything but that thing.

martymac

Yes, heā€™s mad for wanting that particular X1.
    That tyre wont pass an mot test, (cord exposed) it would make me wonder if the tracking is out, perhaps because itā€™s had an accident.
    The other 3 tyres being brand new donā€™t make me less suspicious tbh.
    So, X1? Yes.
    That X1? No.

peterno51

Is it a run flat?

Ah yes just seen it bottom left.

Looks like itā€™s been driven around on the run flats for a while.

fossy

Could get a new shape Fabia Monte Carlo 109PS for not too much more. My son has one and itā€™s a cracking car. Pulls like stink from low revs.

samuelr
    Free Member

Iā€™m late twenties and ā€œintoā€ cars and waiting delivery of my new bmw. So consider myself down with the kids. But that looks shit.
    Is he a middle aged fake tanned Essex housewife?

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Ignoring the fact that youā€™d need to pay me to drive one of those, Iā€™d be wary of anything being sold with tyres that shagged. What other essential maintanance has been scrimped on?

jeffl

Putting to one side that itā€™s a shit car/SUV in shit white Iā€™ve just checked the MOT history. There are two instances of it having exposed tyre chords, various bushings gone, brakes dragging, not good at all. That vehicle clearly hasnā€™t been looked after.

P20

I drove them at work as an RRV ambulance. Never particularly cared for it. Small interior for its overall size, not that great when pushing on. Fine for pootling. Make sure they have the sports seats, the basic ones were garbage.

Poopscoop

This car is out of the equation.

Thanks guys. Iā€™m trying to after him towards something a bit more practical.

hotstuff
    Free Member

Wise move I think. Iā€™ll second the mot history doubts and question the headlight alignment issue which seems to have been a problem twice in its history. Coupled with the tyre wear it makes you wonder about front end damage in the past?
    As Jeffl says, it hasnā€™t been a loved car by the looks of things.

misteralz
    Free Member

That is one boring little car. Christ, at 22 I was driving a Golf GTIā€¦

bails

Misteralz: and how much was the insurance on that?

OP: are there any petrol cars for sale? I wouldnā€™t be keen to buy a diesel nowadays, certainly not a pre-euro6 one.

robowns
    Free Member

Mad decision for a 22 year old! I can imagine insurance is pricey too.

robowns
    Free Member

I wouldnā€™t be keen to buy a diesel nowadays, certainly not a pre-euro6 one.

No one is, iā€™d expect thats the whole reason this is in price range.

Cougar

1) Your son has no taste. It might not be too late to consider adoption.

2) Iā€™d rather spend money on a car than what itā€™d cost to insure it.

5lab

Iā€™m not sure I understand all the hatred. Sure, its not my personal choice of car, but its basically a slightly jacked up 3 series touring, so plenty practical, probably pleasant-ish to sit in, and the bodyshape and badge to show off to his mates. I ran a bunch of old volvos, followed by a mondeo estate at that age.

That particular example does look like one to steer clear of though

johnners
    Free Member

Unless my browserā€™s playing tricks on me it looks like the photos (including the heinously worn tyre) of that X1^^ have disappeared from the listing. Someoneā€™s pulling a late one for a Friday night!

ElShalimo

All young/new drivers should be punished with a W reg Nissan Micra. If they can look after it for 2 years then theyā€™ve earnt the right to drive anything they want.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Micras are posh.

Fiat Panda. 750cc of revvy goodness.

peteandsoo
    Free Member

well unlike a lot of comments on here , I have one. a 2.3 x drive, is it exciting errr ? well its ok, does everything a BMW should do. Its not quite as big as you think, and maybe not as practical as an estate. Mine goes very well and is economical. As for pictures of the tyresā€¦.. Could be tracking, from experience the design of the BMW track rods can make tracking adjustment very difficult as the ends seize which means adjustment is not possible and the end and the arms need to be replaced (had mine done at a cost of Ā£250). On the tyres , i is worth while remembering that the car is sensitive to tyre choice ( should be runflats) and the choices are limited and consequently a bit more expensive. Is it a young mans car? cant comment as I am no longer young.

CountZero

That tyre wont pass an mot test, (cord exposed) it would make me wonder if the tracking is out,

That tyre would fail an arrival inspection at our place, thereā€™s no way anyone would be allowed to drive it away from the site without the tyres being changed, thereā€™s the strong possibility it would be taken away on a transporter.
    If Iā€™d pitched up to collect a car from a customer when I was in BCA Logistics, Iā€™d have refused to drive it away, Iā€™d have called non-conformance and refused it as too dangerous to drive.
    Thatā€™s my professional opinion as a driver whoā€™s job it is to inspect and drive hundreds of cars a week.
    I personally dislike pretty much every BMW Iā€™ve ever driven, and Iā€™ve driven lots, over hundreds of miles, over the last four years.

skids
    Free Member

Thatā€™s an old man car!

finishthat
    Free Member

To get a tyre like that takes some serious bump , bent suspension steering or rubbish maintenance work.
    A reminder that itā€™s not just an mot, driving with a defect like that is 3 points per tyre endorsable offence.

Watty

Thatā€™s an old man car!

How dare you! šŸ˜‰ Iā€™m an old man (is 60 old?) and wouldnā€™t be seen dead in that.

failedengineer

Crikey, there are some proper car snobs on here.

Kryton57

I personally dislike pretty much every BMW Iā€™ve ever driven, and Iā€™ve driven lots, over hundreds of miles, over the last four years.

Just putting that in context, as I love mine as do others. Ā  It must be of course, you.

Superficial
    Free Member

Crikey, there are some proper car snobs on here.

People can like what they like of course. I wouldnā€™t buy an Astra VXRi/ Range Rover / Skoda Roomster / Espace (delete as appropriate) but I understand the appeal to different people. I donā€™t see the attraction of that car to anyone, though. Itā€™s like a good car (3 series touring) thatā€™s been made more expensive, less roomy, worse looking, less economical and worse to drive. Itā€™s like the sleepy obesification of our society, personified.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s car snobbery. You are entitled to disagree if you wish!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Fiat Panda. 750cc of revvy goodness.

Years ago there was an STW meetup in the Surrey Hills.

I vividly remember arriving in convoy up the hill to the YHA car park with:

Misubishi Evo
    MG Midget (me)
    Panda 4Ɨ4 with chequerplate door lowers*

About as far from the A4 estate stereotype as it gets!

*not sure if standard or just hiding the rust.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ā€˜How mad? Son wanted to purchase a 2011/12 BMW X1.šŸ˜ā€™ is closed to new replies.