Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • How long off the bike after a carpel tunnel op?
  • stevio

had my right wrist done yesterday (typing slowly with left…). I was quite surprised to find i got a note for 2 weeks on my way off the ward ( tho not as surprised as my boss will be when i ring him shortly). At what point will i be reasonably safe to get back on the bike? Wondering about how to set up the turbo trainer 1 handed already :).

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Ask your GP?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I had my right hand done several years ago. I had the dressing on for 10-12 days, than 2 days later I picked a brand new motorbike up. I had enough power to use the brake thankfully! It took a couple of months to get 90% of my srength back though

fliesinmyeyes
    Free Member

Where I work we tell patients 2 weeks of doing little with the hand. This is mostly to allow the wound to heal nicely. If you're using the hand and flexing or extending the wrist there is a risk of the wound/stitches opening creating more scar tissue. Wait for the dressing to come off/stitches out and then see how you feel.

I know some people who have gone back to work (just light duties) within 2 weeks and also a teacher at my wife's school who took an entire half-term off to 'recover' and then did the same thing the following year when she had the other hand done.

fontmoss
    Free Member

ask your GP or consultant, signed you off for a reason…

Bro-Bra
    Free Member

I had mine done last year, had the op at 6 in the evening and i was back at my desk at 8 the next day. Working a professional office job doesn't require 2 weeks off after the op IMO.

Stitches out a week later and full strength within about 3 months, make sure once the stitches are out that you massage the wound (using bio oil) to get the scar tissue broken down.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘How long off the bike after a carpel tunnel op?’ is closed to new replies.