Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • How long off bike T11 and occypital condyle fractures
  • stevego
    Free Member

Finally happenned (wife has been predicting this for over a decade). Had a bad off on a fire trail, no idea what happenned, non-technical trail. Think it was probably a front wheel washout or mechanical failure (haven’t check the bike as it is at a mates place). Broken T11 and occipital condyle fracture as well as a good concusion. Happened a saturday week ago, most of last week in hospital, now with irritating neck brace and chest brace (if they keep me from any further damage they are well worth it).

Had been training up for Pioneer race in NZ in 10 weeks, now delayed till next year, bugger.

How long till I’m likely to be back on a bike in any form (gentle rail trailing). I’m guessing  10-12 ish weeks. Hoping to get back on the stationary trainer (gentle intervals, easy sets) sooner in order to keep sanity and work off extra cookies.
    Any advice/stories much appreciated.

Cheers

globalti
    Free Member

I’m just recovering from a bust collar bone, six weeks in now. I’ve managed to convince myself that the bone isn’t knitting but in your case your break is properly immobilised so should mend properly. The muscle wastage is something else and it will take many weeks to rebuild the strength and flexibility. Secondary to that is the collateral damage to the ribs, which is also very slow to heal. I’m just beginning to dare to think about driving again and even think of myself as a fit cyclist but it will be another couple of months before I get back on the bike, I reckon.

stevego
    Free Member

Will be so good to lose brace. High point of day is post shower when wife and undoes them. Then I can have a proper scratch ( I know not what you were thinking based on previous statement and a bit sad)

fossy

Depends.  If they have let you out of hospital then it’s not too bad. Minimum 6 weeks to heal, and give it a bit longer.

I spent 6.5 weeks flat on my back (no mobilisation) in hospital (unstable fracture of L1 and T12, plus 4 ribs), then 3-4 months with a brace at home. First ride was about 4 months after injury, but nothing more than a potter.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

I was 8 weeks in the neck brace with a similar injury, then gentle exercise/physio for another month or so before trying the bike again. I wasn’t in a rush.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘How long off bike T11 and occypital condyle fractures’ is closed to new replies.