Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • how good is this dslr deal?
  • singletracksurfer

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/samsung/974430?nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_1_0_0_270&a=1664

I want a decent dslr camera but know squat about them really.
    its not one of the obvious camera brands I know are highly rated, so wondering whether to be take the plunge with this, over the Canon or nikon.

thanks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Google for reviews.

donsimon
    Free Member

I couldn’t comment on the Samsung camera. If you want a decent dslr camera, I’d stick with one of the companies that has a history of making cameras and not a camera from a constuction company that dabbles in electronics. 😉

singletracksurfer

the reviews look pretty good, but no one ever really talks of samsung for cameras.
    wondering if I’m better staying with something like nikon d3100 without such a ‘deal’ on offer.

singletracksurfer

thanks don, thatd what I’m concerned about.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’d go with NIKON every time! and the newer range is properly awesome, considering dropping the D90 for a newer model.

Samsung have been making excellent compact cameras for about 10 years though so It might be worth a punt.

donsimon
    Free Member

I do actually like Samsung as a company, but for cameras I think the Nikon would be better and moreso if you’re looking at the future regarding upgrades etc.

mudsux
    Free Member

most manufacturers can offer you the camera with std short zoom and a 50mm lens for under £500.
    so in terms of a good deal – maybe not so good.
    the NX uses its own proprietary lens mount so lens choice might be a struggle. Also Samsung’s i-Fn lens might not be your cup-of-tea.
    The camera also uses an EVF viewfinder. Might be good. But best to try one out and see one first hand.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy a Samsung DSLR myself.

You can get deals like that for Canon, Nikon or Olympus and they make cameras, and make them well!

e.g.
    Canon 550D kit
    http://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=33354

And any number of Nikons around that price or lower
    http://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=191

martymac

ive had a couple of samsung compacts, and honestly i couldnt fault them.
    but when i decided to step up i went with nikon, purely because there is a much larger range of lenses.
    obviously, companies like canon, olympus etc have huge ranges too, best advice i can give is go into a shop and have a play with a few in your price range, there will be one that stands out as being nicer in your hand/easier to use.

singletracksurfer

thanks people, that has helped me not just dive in quickly and get the Samsung before the offer expires. Yeah Nikon was my gut feeling.

singletracksurfer

am I right in thinking the Nikon D3100 is good for a relative novice?

To be honest I really don’t enjoy fiddling with knobs, I just like to get down to action 😉

duntstick
    Free Member
    Kato

I’m a Nikon man, but my friend just bought a Canon 600D with a 18-55 kit lens off Amazon for £589.99 which is proper bargain

Cougar

I’m old fashioned; I like cameras to come from people whose strength is optics, not electronics.

The Canon vs Nikon is a holy war, just like iPhone / Android, Windows / Linux / OSX, ZX Spectrum / Commodore 64. It was ever thus.

Bottom line is, both are very, very good and whilst one has slight strengths and weaknesses compared to the other, none are showstoppers. Far more important is personal preference. For me, I found the Canon bodies comfortable and intuitive, and Nikon to be unwieldy and alien, which is why I went Canon. Others would feel the opposite.

What I will say though is, you’re investing in a system. Whether you go Canon or Nikon, be happy with what you’re doing. Do you have friends who might be able to lend you compatible gear?

Molgrips will be along shortly to talk to you about Olympus.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘how good is this dslr deal?’ is closed to new replies.