Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 265 total)
  • How exactly have humanity been fooled into thinking that?
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Interesting interpretation of ‘needs’ there.

I haven’t needed hospital attention in 40+ years, yet I still pay.
    60,000 people have decided that not only do they need football, but they are willing to pay for it. Where should this money go?
    Comparing footballers to nurses is a non-argument.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I haven’t needed hospital attention in 40+ years, yet I still pay.

Then you are lucky

Pity the poor sod with terminal cancer who used up all of what you paid in.

yunki
    Free Member

I believe that the answers to this thread are over on the wall-hung telly thread..

joao3v16
    Free Member

60,000 people have decided that not only do they need football

No they haven’t, they’ve decided they enjoy watching football for a bit of entertainment maybe more than other things and are happy to spend a bit of cash to enjoy their interest.

Only a fool would claim they ‘needed’ it.

It’s just a hobby at the end of the day.

teasel
    Free Member

Thanks for that, RPRT – interesting stuff.

But let’s take that “absolutely” bit that you wrote and went on to imply that everyone falls into that catagory. I don’t believe I do because of my lifestyle and I believe there are others of a similar ilk (take the bike geezer a few are talking of). How do we fit into the absolute bit of your statement…?

flange
    Free Member

Avoiding the issue of people needing football and needing emergency care..

Applying some man maths

400,000 nurses in the uk for all types of care
    247 A&E departments in the UK
    15 nurses per A&E department (estimate based on reports I could find on Google taking the average)
    3705* number of A&E nurses in the UK (15 x 247)
    62,218,761 number of people in the UK
    17603 people per A&E nurse
    x22 (the number of players in two football teams) = 387,263

So on this basis they should be paid more…

*Estimate – could be massively inaccurate

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

But let’s take that “absolutely” bit that you wrote

Huh?

teasel
    Free Member

Ha, sorry. You lot with weird not-names all read the same. 🙂

On a re-read I see it was Fervouredimage that made the comment. My apologies again.

Care to reply, FI…?

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

So is teasel your real name?

molgrips
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences, but kaesae – you are bonkers. We have not been FOOLED into thinking we like personal gain. Talk about jumping to the conspiratorial conclusion.

We have evolved with an urge to look after ourselves and our immediate friends and family, and it’s quite obvious why. Think back to small tribes of say Native Americans (those wonderful people we love to idealise) raiding and murdering each other all the time.

You are a nice bloke but you need to ditch the rose-tinted specs, seriously!

teasel
    Free Member

So is teasel your real name?

Of course not. What I meant (and rather tongue-in-cheek I might add) by not-name is that your moniker is not a noun. Not that there are any rules obviously.

Like I wrote – a mistake on my part in as much as I failed to read the name of the author of the post.

hoodie
    Free Member

Started reading this thread, then skipped the middle pages and thought i’d dive right in –

Surely part of the problem is that as a global race we simply dont need to all get on to survive our own complicated lifetimes. Some people have contacts all over the world, others have reached a ripe old age having never even been abroad. To the majority their own little life bubble is all they can attempt to cope with.

The public, Parish Councils, Local Government, Central Government, Individual MP’s – all have their own agendas and only really care about themselves.

Ok Celebrities bleat on about causes but really thats only self promotion – do you really think they would give a t*ss if they didnt get coverage of them weeping outside a tent in Africa ? Nope of course not.

Sadly I think we will all walk headfirst into our own downfall, noses firmly shoved into the backside of our own self importance….

Anyway in cheerful news i got 7 hrs straight sleep last night despite having an 11wk old ! yay ! The world can burn and the poor can starve but im happy !

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ll count myself out of your “we” if you don’t mind. I’ll exclude quite a few of my friends too. Why? We (my we, not yours):

spend significantly less than our income, have savings but no debt

live in homes that are energy neutral or positive

consume at a rate that is sustainable for the country we live in.

work very little. Madame is the only one in our household to work for only 15 contracted hours a week in a job she enjoys enough to be happy to work a few hours overtime – over three months holiday a year.

If we lived up to our income we’d have flash house with a swimming pool in the garden, a fat Audi and Cooper S on the drive, and a pile of useless electronic junk littering our lives.

Some people on STW don’t have enough income to have much choice about how they live but many do, and it seems to me they chose the Audi and Cooper S over quality of life. So Teasel does have a point.

kaesae
    Free Member

Humanity only has one destiny, so since we will all share the same fate, I reserve the right to refer to us as we!

Good to hear the you are cool though!

Edukator
    Free Member

I know, Kaesae, at least I’ve can enjoy the time before it all goes tits up enjoying a relatively stress free and full life (a 14-year-old son does his best to raise stress levels).

kaesae
    Free Member

Sounds like you have a good life and I’m glad to hear it, too many people have it rough these days.

I want a house not too big, too much tidying, in the middle of knowhere, workshop for my bikes, study for my company and a woodland close by.

Keep it simple, but appreciate what you have 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Only a fool would claim they ‘needed’ it.

Why do you feel the need to call me a fool?

kaesae
    Free Member

😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Edukator do you ever worry about coming over as a right smart-arse?

We all chart our own courses through life. Some find themselves in stormy waters, some have plain sailing. For a variety of reasons. Do not pour scorn on people who struggle.

Edukator
    Free Member

No, Molgrips. It’s what my STW persona is all about. I think my pseudo announces the colour. The only worrying thing is that I’m telling the truth.

Some people on STW don’t have enough income to have much choice about how they live but many do

I recongnise and have stated some people don’t have much choice but some of the choices STWers make and keeping up with the Joneses threads leave me shaking my head in dismay.

molgrips
    Free Member

Allegations of ‘keeping up with the joneses’ are almost entirely false. I buy stuff because it is gives me something I want. I don’t give a crap who else has it. I think most people feel the same.

Jamie
    Free Member

I buy stuff because it is gives me something I want. I don’t give a crap who else has it. I think most people feel the same.

That’s what the marketeers want you to think. That you have come to these decisions all by yourself.

*doffs tinfoil hat*

Edukator
    Free Member

You may resist Molgrips but the sheep-like buying of certain brands and jumping onto bandwagons is comical to watch from afar.

scuzz
    Free Member

Congratulations Edukator – but I don’t understand why Audis and Quality of Life are mutually exclusive. Let’s generalise some more, shall we?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I want a house not too big, too much tidying, in the middle of knowhere, workshop for my bikes, study for my company and a woodland close by.

Don’t want a reliable postal service then?
    Not bothered about health?
    Don’t care about the rest of the world as long as you have what makes you happy?

Edukator
    Free Member

Buying an Audi rather than say the equivalent VW or skoda is a goood way of making yourself poorer to buy status over function. As for the Cooper S it’s an utterly pointless fashion statement on today’s crowded, speed camera littered roads. They are the cars I’ve used to symbolise buying into a dream rather than keeping your feet on the ground.

I mentioned friends with a Ferrari and AMG Merc on another thread. They also had a house with a guest house at the bottom of the garden. It was pretty much all on credit and a minor blip in the economy meant they couldn’t take enough out of the business to pay for it all and the business went bankrupt. Living beyond their means to create an artifical image and lifestyle. They don’t speak to me anymore, can’t think why.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

On a re-read I see it was Fervouredimage that made the comment. My apologies again.

Care to reply, FI…?

No, not really, because you’ve picked on an utterly moot point and ignored the over arching theme of my post.

Not that I would expect much more.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Don’t take this with the wrong attitude but can you produce any evidence of that…? I’m genuinely interested because, as written, I believe this to be a problem and it seems foolish for me to talk shit in debates with my friends if I don’t have a leg to stand on.

A night out with you must be a barrel of laughs.

iDave
    Free Member

+1 wot Edukator says

molgrips
    Free Member

Buying an Audi rather than say the equivalent VW or skoda is a goood way of making yourself poorer to buy status over function

Audis are nicer than VWs. However I would not buy one.

The point I am trying to make is that it is not always about STATUS. You make us out to be even more shallow and vacuous than we actually are.

CarryGrant
    Free Member

Oh look, another sweeping generalisation thread where the usual omniscient suspects cast judgement on “humanity”.

How does one become as perfect as they?

donsimon
    Free Member

usual omniscient suspects

Who that then?
    If you don’t like it, don’t read it….

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

You make us out to be even more shallow and vacuous than we actually are.

Alas, I think Edukator is dead right.

Happy to count you as an exception molgrips, but I’m afraid, on the whole…

… this is the reality of the world we live in.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

How does one become as perfect as they?

Start thinking?

AD

Brilliant comments as ever from Edukator!

I live in the Lakes – my Cooper S is great on our empty non-speed camera littered roads… Mountain biking is great here too!

But you are of course correct – my quality of life is just terrible…

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

And if the entire population of the world were to have a Cooper S each?

kaesae
    Free Member

May I have your attention please!

donsimon
    Free Member

May I have your attention please!

Still waiting… 😉
    But based on the edited comment, you have to accept that cars are needed in the modern world and owning a Mini might be **** but it’s better than everyone driving round in gas guzzling 4X4, no?

AD

😀

EDIT – Sneaky edit there Kaesae… I’ll return the favour and keep it civil too!

donsimon
    Free Member

Eh?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 265 total)

The topic ‘How exactly have humanity been fooled into thinking that?’ is closed to new replies.