Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 265 total)
  • How exactly have humanity been fooled into thinking that?
  • lazybike
    Free Member

Who wins?

like theres ever a winner…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Who wins?

Man City?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think you might be right, TSY. I mean, they were at half speed against Liverpool on Tuesday night, yet still won 3-0. 😐

Spurs have their best chance for centuries though. Could ‘Arry take them all the way? 😯

teasel
    Free Member

I’m truly offended – my first car was an Austin Allegro.

But this…

kaesae – Member

Still we are not all of us, like most of you lot, so there is yet hope!

For some of us!

…that took a few reads and I still didn’t quite get it. Very Yoda-esque. Infact I’m sure it helped when I read it in such a fashion…

sharki
    Free Member

🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Still we are not all of us, like most of you lot, so there is yet hope!

That is definitely going to be the next tattoo…

Northwind

nealglover
    Free Member

Who wins?

Me.

If it’s a “not ranting like a madman” competition.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I was going to comment on this but then quickly realised that if you don’t literally live the life of a saint you will be quickly reminded that you are not in a position to comment… On anything.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think some of you ought to take a look at what you’re saying to kaesae. A lot of it reads as, erm, unfriendly and personal to say the least. A bit disappointing.

iridebikes
    Free Member

This thread is brilliant, please continue…

iridebikes
    Free Member

actually i think i should say that I probably would agree with kaesae, but his arguments are perhaps not the best thought out. There is no need to be offensive though, and if you cant sympathise with his views at least a little bit, I feel quite sorry for you.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFcxqFPaURI[/video]

Northwind

kaesae – Member

Seismic activity on this planet has increased to the point that it is knocking the world off it’s very axis

Is it really?

khani
    Free Member

I think some of you ought to take a look at what you’re saying to kaesae. A lot of it reads as, erm, unfriendly and personal to say the least. A bit disappointing.

Quite….. 😕 Very poor.. He’s helped loads out on here, if you don’t agree with what he says on a public forum, say why’ don’t resort to insults
    Allthough I have a vague memory he likes Bon jovi,..so he might be a **** after all!!! 😀

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I agree with Kaesae personally. The insults towards him simply come from deep seated self hatred. 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Kutla gonna pop I reckon. Could be quite disruptive.

I think the remark about competing, winning and breeding in our local tribe/environment is the reason we fail to respond to global environmental/resource problems. When the resources get really scarce, tribes will do what they always do – go to war.

My questions to keasae are:

“How much wealth (for all in society, without exception) is sufficient?”

“How should we legally re-distribute wealth and opportunity evenly?”

“Without capital-rich individuals to invest, how will expensive but important developments and projects be funded?”

donsimon
    Free Member

The insults towards him simply come from deep seated self hatred

Insults?

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Insults?

Vitriol then.

kaesae
    Free Member

It’s not hard to understand, while we are distracted by our persuit of money and possesions, we fail to see that the world around us and that gave birth to our race, is changing in such a fashion that it is less habitable and that we are not adapting to the changes that are occuring.

No need for flowery words or long drawn out explanations, seizmic activity is increasing, including volcanic erruptions and earth quakes, also the weather is becoming more and more extreme and unpredictable, flash floods, excessive wind speeds and lots more.

I’m not talking about flowery hippy bullshit, I’m talking about how these factors effect our lives here and now. The earth quake in iceland should have set alarm bells ringing, instead of seeing it as a continued escalation of a global problem, we seem to think it was some kind of volcano stropp.

Something is happening to this world and unless any of us have a plan to get the **** off it! I ould suggest that the time to start working together to sort it is now!

Ignoring global events which are themselves other peoples problems escalating and only focusing on what effects us here in the UK, we can still see that the situation is deteriorating.

So back to the initial question, how the **** have we become so distracted with nonsense that we do not care or have any concern for these matters.

What will it take for us to give a shit about our future as a race ❓

donsimon
    Free Member

Vitriol then.

Vitriol?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And what exactly is “our race”?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

dondon, no need to be deliberately obtuse. You know what’s meant.

kaesae – Member

It’s not hard to understand, while we are distracted by our persuit of money

kaesae – Member

and as for the money, I would rather have that as well.

Hmmm….

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

So back to the initial question, how the **** have we become so distracted with nonsense that we do not care or have any concern for these matters

I don’t think we’ve become distracted. We didn’t use to know about these problems, therefore they weren’t issues… ignorance, maybe, was bliss?

iDave
    Free Member

I think the OP started the personal abusing by tarring us all with the same greedy brush. I’m prepared to forgive.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I didn’t realise you were so sensitive iDave. Aww. 🙂

(don’t mention the lime green Bentley).

calvjones
    Free Member

Earthquakes and seismic activity are about the only crappy things happening we’re NOT actually responsible for.

Although plonking shoddy buildings filled with piles of quietly fizzing uranium near faultlines certainly doesn’t help.

iDave
    Free Member

Hmm, lime green Bentley would look good with purple suede interior..

donsimon
    Free Member

dondon, no need to be deliberately obtuse. You know what’s meant.

Just found one post that I’d consider out of order.
    Forgiven?

Sue_W
    Free Member

A lot of it is a result of society’s lack of understanding of the direct relationship between ‘the environment’ and what we value in our everyday life (air to breath, clean water etc). And because most people don’t focus on the direct connnection, when asked what concerns them, then most don’t think about the environment. And if ‘people’ aren’t bothered, then politicians aren’t either. So that’s something that some of us are devoting the majority of our lives to try and redress.

So for those of you who can’t sleep and fancy some bedtime reading, here’s a few examples:

http://uknea.unep-wcmc.org/Home/tabid/38/Default.aspx

http://www.maweb.org/en/index.aspx

http://www.valuing-nature.net/

Otherwise .. back to ranting 🙂

Northwind

kaesae – Member

No need for flowery words or long drawn out explanations, seizmic activity is increasing,

Is it really though?

sharki
    Free Member

its too late.
    all this extreme weather is all part of natures recovery program.

the high winds fell tress which the nature hopes will eventually get turned to coal and oil, replacing vital exploited material.
    it also spreads seeds to replant lost plant life. water. As more and more forests etc get cut down and more concrete jungles get built, there is less oxygen produced, so nature is just trying to recover and retain life on this planet.

Much in nature is having to adapt to a changing world, can we as a race.

some can, some cannot, mostly can’t.

donsimon
    Free Member

And because most people don’t focus on the direct connnection, when asked what concerns them, then most don’t think about the environment.

Equally I think there’s an area where people don’t understand the language or make the connection.
    Increased CO2 emissions = Climate change = warmer summers = Air conditioning to cool down = Well duh!
    When we should be looking at the passive solutions.
    Beyond that, there’s not much more I can do.

iDave
    Free Member

If only we all had shutters to stop our homes heating up……

donsimon
    Free Member

If only we all had shutters to stop our homes heating up……

Don’t forget to help prevent heat loss in the winter….
    *sigh*

Sue_W
    Free Member

Climate change is a tough one – it’s scientifically complex and socially challenged.

A more interesting example if the relationship between the importance of upland moorland in rainwater absorbtion and the prevention of flooding of houses downstream. People are fairly concerned about the possiblity of flooding, but rarely make the connection with a distant area of moorland.

Until we make those connections more transparent and widely understood then society will continue to undervalue the importance of the environment.

Plus, it’s not really a question of ‘wealth’ or the ‘environment’. It’s more important to get across the relationship between the environment and economic benefits. I’m sure you all read the ground breaking TEEB report when it was published last year 🙂 But in case you didn’t, here’s a copy to complete your bedtime reading:

HOME

Enjoy!

donsimon
    Free Member

A more interesting example if the relationship between the importance of upland moorland in rainwater absorbtion and the prevention of flooding of houses downstream. People are fairly concerned about the possiblity of flooding, but rarely make the connection with a distant area of moorland.

I think what people see, and what it’s like around here, is that any flooding is due to poor local authority maintenance of culvets and the uplands are too far away and too distant, as you say.
    Too much info and alot won’t understand, it has to be bite size, understandable and have that direct connection.
    But also that everyone can make a few, small changes that will have a colectively, greater effect.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Does nealglover ever post anything positive or is it all just ranting insults?

I actually feel sorry for the people for who the pursuit of materialistic goals drives them – what sad empty lives they lead

donsimon
    Free Member

Does nealglover ever post anything positive or is it all just ranting insults?

I actually feel sorry for the people for who the pursuit of materialistic goals drives them – what sad empty lives they lead
    Fair enough, it’s not exactly a rant, but….. 😀

Have you ever thought of using Killfile TJ, then you wouldn’t have to suffer?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 265 total)

The topic ‘How exactly have humanity been fooled into thinking that?’ is closed to new replies.