Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • how do you get a riding buddy off the sofa and back into the saddle?
  • flebby
    Free Member

Ridden with this guy for like 10years+, in fact he introduced me to off and road cycling, but due to various injuries & aches and maybe a lack of motivation, he’s not been out since pretty much summer last year (well not with me anyway….hmmm hang on, maybe he’s two timing me!)

So anyway I’ve thought about just turning up one sunday morning ready to ride (knock for him – “hi Mrs bloggs, can timmy come out to play?” stylee) and just take the rejection on the chin, no problem, no big deal, its cool I will just knock on your door every weekend for the foreseeable future until you follow me to the damn woods like the good old days.

So, I just wondered if anyone has any other ideas of how to re-ignite an old riding buddy flame? Draught me a letter maybe?

I have a feeling I will live to regret this post….this could be my first drubbing on here, eek, gulp etc 😮

bialled_dikes
    Free Member

Forget it, it’s like trying to reignite passion for an old girlfriend.

Do what the rest of us do. go out and find a new one. Plenty more fish in the sea

flebby
    Free Member

Yeah I do have others to ride with. Well one. Sometimes. Once. Oh no!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Give him a cup of sick.

flebby
    Free Member

Seems harsh, but intrigued as to the theory behind this action three_fishes?

popstar
    Free Member

1 week advance notice prior to epic ride seems necessary.

Or organise wacky races with your mates, film it and show what he’s missed.

jedi

just suggest a ride to the pub or somewhere not too far. some people just need to feel the buzz of just being back on 2 wheels

Onzadog
    Free Member

Ask him to help you with something. Maybe there’s a technical section you want his opinion on or you need someone to look at your position while riding. Or maybe you want some advice from a friend and being on the bike is a good way to get away from the OH.

philconsequence
    Free Member

jedi+1

make sure to pop off of every curb you can and to do it on a sunny day :mrgreen: summer riding buzzzzzz

xiphon
    Free Member

+2 Jedi.

Just becuase you’re riding along sleepy country roads to the pub…. there’s no excuse not to have a “Who can wheelie the longest” competition 🙂

Raindog
    Free Member

If I lose motivation I watch The Collective. I can’t ride like them, but it reminds me how much I enjoy it.

chomp
    Free Member

cattle prod?

Keva
    Free Member

steal his sofa

xcgb
    Free Member

Keep on asking, remind him what he is missing, you never know he could be heading towards some kind of depression?

or

he may not like you anymore

You have a BO problem

or just maybe just doesn’t want to ride (odd I know but it is possible) 😀

flebby
    Free Member

he may not like you anymore

You have a BO problem

or just maybe just doesn’t want to ride

yes to all probably 😉

i dunno, maybe i’ll just have to stop the arse slapping when riding past eachother thing. Cant think why this woul put anyone off? but hey-ho.

xcgb
    Free Member

Keep on bugging him though, he’ll have to let you know what he wants to do eventually

philconsequence
    Free Member

send him an “i miss you” card and put a photo of his bike inside it….

flebby
    Free Member

yes liking that idea phil 🙂

Diane
    Free Member

😀
    Think I know who he is – he told me personally that he loves riding with you and values you very much as a friend it’s just that you are so much better at it than him. So i’d stick with it – perhaps a little heart to heart – everyone needs friends

flebby
    Free Member

True Diane, but I always try to make sure he feels like he’s better than me by intentionally losing balance and throwing my self off the bike every so often and hurting myself. 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

Enter him as half a pair for SITS. He won’t enjoy it if he doesn’t get fit.

Diane
    Free Member

Ah Flebby the true cost of friendship

messiah
    Free Member

Dob him into the police or steal his stash?

Stuey01
    Free Member

I’d organise a trip, to a trail centre or something, with a load of mates. None of my friends would want to miss out, even those not into cycling.

flebby
    Free Member

I’d organise a trip, to a trail centre or something, with a load of mates. None of my friends would want to miss out, even those not into cycling.

Yeah i kind of tried that (well with help from philconsequence!)…I think once you’ve been off the bike for some length of time you know you’re unfit for riding and knowing the pain you’re going to feel getting the fitness levels back up is enough to be a put off. As the trails are drying out more and more though and becoming fun again this should help me entice the poor sod back out 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘how do you get a riding buddy off the sofa and back into the saddle?’ is closed to new replies.