• This topic has 36 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by bodgy.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • How do geese know that sheep don’t eat geese?
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Was riding along yesterday and saw some geese land in a field, right in amongst a flock of sheep. The sheep are quite a lot bigger than the geese but the geese dont seem at all bothered by them. If i move towards a goose it runs or flys away, if a sheep moves towards a goose they aren’t at all bothered.
    How do geese know that sheep are safe for them?
    Aksed this at work this morning. My colleague said ‘do sheep eat any birds?’ had a good long think about it and then decided that they don’t….

vazaha

Jungian collective unconscious.

hols2
    Free Member

They’ve probably noticed that sheep only go for stuff that can be eaten without needing any prep.

itlab
    Free Member

Even if none of the flock had ever seen a sheep(or for example a larma that’s non native), unconsciously they(and you) know sheep don’t look like predators

Predators tend to have adaptations to aid hunting, sharp pointy teeth, hooked beaks, eyes facing the front for depth perception to aid hunting dogs,cats,bears,humans, hawks etc

Prey/omnivores tend to have eyes on the side for better all round visibility to keep an eye out for predators sheep, cows, geese

parkesie
    Free Member

Why would geese be scared of clouds?

anagallis_arvensis

Edukator
    Free Member

Why would geese be scared of clouds?

Because clouds are wet, cold, have nasty thermals, hail circulating, are difficult to see in… . Geese like most birds are scared of clounds and will fly under, over and around them.

However sheep.

Klunk
    Free Member

how do cuckoo chicks know that they migrate to Africa in the winter ?

nuke

I would have thought its just knowledge passed down…a geese flies with older geese and follows them into a field with sheep/cattle/etc and learns that those animals are harmless and generally finding landing sites with those animals present is a safe environment so, as they become the older geese leading younger geese, that knowledge passes down.

In the same way, we learn that geese are double hard bastards that should be approached with extreme caution

crazy-legs

On a related note, how do pigeons know to fly OVER water but ducks know that they can land IN the water?

Why don’t pigeons ever look at a duck landing in the water and think “oh that’s a good place to land, I’ll set down there too”.

Kryton57

Why don’t pigeons ever look at a duck landing in the water and think “oh that’s a good place to land, I’ll set down there too”.

Perhaps its thinking , “yeah but that’s a duck” in the same way we’d think “ yeah but that’s a boat”

nostoc
    Free Member

The other day I saw some geese being hassled by playful and inquisitive lambs until they flew off to graze in peace somewhere else presumably having learnt about sheep.

senorj

O.P. posted 9 hours ago.
    He should be coming down around now. I used to find orange juice helped.
    🙂

avdave2

The pigeons with the landing on water gene all sadly lacked the floating gene are all at the bottom of the lake

CraigW
    Free Member

Sheep can trample the nests of ground nesting birds. Maybe not a problem for geese, but it can be for other birds, eg oystercatcher or curlew. There have been reports of sheep eating curlew eggs or chicks.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Geese like most birds are scared of clounds and will fly under, over and around them.

However sheep.

…are notoriously difficult to fly under

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

How come every bird knows a train travelling at speed is something to avoid, but pheasants seem to throw themselves in front of them?

hols2
    Free Member

Because of the sharks.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/05/how-songbirds-ended-inside-stomachs-sharks/589909/

mrlebowski
    Free Member

mattyfez

It’s all because of the bravery (some say stupidity) of a goose legend known only as ‘Micheal the goose’.

After an all day sesh at the thier local spoons, the lads dared him to approach a sheep, which, full of drunken bravado, he did.

The sheep paid him no mind to the astonishment his squad, and the rest, as they say, is history.

nickc

If it waddles, quacks, looks like a duck…it’s probs a duck, right?

Same thing

DezB
    Free Member

There is a type of honk that means ‘nah, they’re fine’.
    Why do deer run away from me on my bike? I’ve never harmed a deer and have no intention to. I’d stroke it if I got close, in a nice way. But still they run.
    My bike is called an Instinct, btw.

13thfloormonk

Evolution! The geese that wasted their time and energy running away from sheep didn’t spend as much time getting jiggy.

Ergo the geese that didn’t run away from sheep had more goslings. Result: Anatidaen domination.

anagallis_arvensis

He should be coming down around now. I used to find orange juice helped.

I never found orange juice made any difference, ate a whole orange once peel and all.

kerley
    Free Member

Why do deer run away from me on my bike?

Because they are flight animals (very flighty) so run away from everything just in case.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

They send one ahead to have a gander.

Northwind

Exhibit a)

Exhibit b)

Exhibit c)

Exhibit d)

Exhibit e)

Goose doesn’t care whether sheep would like to eat them or not, they know it’s not going to happen regardless

mattyfez

Geese don’t really fear anything, I see alot whilst riding down the canal.
    They generally stand thier ground and give me dirty looks. But when it’s nesting season they quite often hiss and flap, and get pretty agro, they rarely actually snap at me, but i know they would if I wasn’t just passing by.

geex
    Free Member

i eat sheep

DezB
    Free Member

Gracie’s a crap dog. My GSP would have that thing’s head off in seconds.

Because they are flight animals (very flighty) so run away from everything just in case.
    I wuz being rhetorical.

easily
    Free Member

My goose would take out your dog, no problem.

nick1962
    Free Member

Geese or rather their goslings should be more afraid of canal locks.Seen a couple die this week 🙁

scruff
    Free Member

Deer are rubbish. We see them all the time on local trails, I reckon I could jump off my bike and catch one, maybe two.

CountZero

However sheep.

The most dangerous animal in the world is a clever sheep…

However sheep.

…are notoriously difficult to fly under

Sheep don’t so much fly as plummet.

The pigeons with the landing on water gene all sadly lacked the floating gene are all at the bottom of the lake

Or in the stomach of a shark…

How come every bird knows a train travelling at speed is something to avoid, but pheasants seem to throw themselves in front of them?

Have you seen the size of a pheasants head? They’re barely smarter than algae! They’re bred in huge numbers to be shot at, they don’t last long enough to breed a smart pheasant, evolution doesn’t get a look in.

funkmasterp

In the same way, we learn that geese are double hard bastards that should be approached with extreme caution

Geese are basically the honey badger of the avian world.

andrewh
    Free Member

I wonder if Itlab has got it?
    This would explain why zebras aren’t scared of giraffes (which are bigger than them0 but are scared of cheetahs (which are smaller than them)
    I wonder if we could prove this experimaentally?
    Anyone got a gosling which has never met a sheep or wolf and also a sheep and a wolf?

bodgy
    Free Member

Weirdly, geese really really like gooseberries; they’ll strip a bush in minutes.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘How do geese know that sheep don’t eat geese?’ is closed to new replies.