Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • How deep can a 300mm disc cutter cut at 45 degrees?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

I need to cut into a factory floor, I want to cut a 6′ long cut 2″ vertically deep and then angle the cutter 45 degrees and cut at that angle into the previous cut.

Anyone happen to know how deep a 300mm cutter can cut at 45 degrees?

I might be inclined to go deeper, the above is the minimum.

Using: https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/sawing-cutting-and-grinding/disc-cutter-300mm-petrol/p/339125

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

Well the depth of that cut is is 71.84 mm so I would assume as long as that is within your maximum depth of cut and that the cutter doesn’t foul on the floor at that angle youd be all good.

maccruiskeen

I’m not sure how readily you could reliably get a set angle of depth with that style of saw. I’d maybe look at something like the Makita 4112 which has a depth stop to you can set a defined depth and run it a long a guide and has less bulk if you angle it to obstruct a 45deg cut – and again the ability to guide the cut.

footflaps

and that the cutter doesn’t foul on the floor at that angle youd be all good.

Without a proper diagram of the machine with arm dimensions, you won’t be able to tell…

I’m not sure how readily you could reliably get a set angle of depth with that style of saw.

+1

very hard to hold something that large and heavy at 45 degrees whilst doing a plunge cut!

qwerty
    Free Member

Cheers for the input.

No power available so has to be petrol.

Doesn’t have to be surgical as it will be concreted over after.

maccruiskeen

No power available so has to be petrol.

I’d rather use a generator and the right tool than use the wrong tool

Doesn’t have to be surgical as it will be concreted over after.

Why does it have to be 45deg then? Whats going in the groove?

nickjb
    Free Member

You can always rent a generator and use a mains tool. That’s what we did (well, borrowed one) until we got power.

It should be possible to run tools at an angle. I’d try and run it along a guide, eg a piece of timber screwed to the floor. That’s a good way to do the first straight cut too

thepurist

Basic trig says that if you can get the full 300mm blade into the 45 degree cut then it’d end 212mm below the surface.

Cougar

The specs list that saw’s cutting depth as 100mm. A bit of Pythagoras gives us a 45′ vertical depth of 70.7mm. 2″ is 51mm.

Of course, that’s assuming it can do 45′ cuts in the first place.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Basic trig says that if you can get the full 300mm blade into the 45 degree cut then it’d end 212mm below the surface.

A cursory glance at a disk cutter says no chance of that happening due to axle and

At best you’ll get in about 110-120sh mm on the vertical cut

footflaps

Or just hire a proper floor cutter which can do angled cuts….

https://www.castle-pryor.co.uk/services/floor-sawing

trail_rat
    Free Member

Surely the pre job risk assessment would force you down that route anyway assuming this is a commercial factory….

qwerty
    Free Member

Ok. A bit more info. This is an off grid quarter pipe build in a derelict and dilapidated factory unit. The purpose of the cut is to ensure that the transition from factory floor to quarter pipe radius is at least 2″ thick to avoid crumbling. No H&S risk assessment required.Can be greater than 45′. Cost (or lack of) is the main issue. Don’t want to use a metal lip to the ramp.

qwerty
    Free Member

PS: there is no breaking and entering involved, this is an open access spot, no owner interest for over 20 years.

maccruiskeen

I think you might be about to get the owner interested  🙂

a guy local to me decided to start erecting a memorial bench on what he explained to me was  ‘no man’s land’ – a former utility site that had  been dormant for a few decades. The reality is although there was nothing to evidence it on site the property had changed hands between various parties over the years….. most recently to me 🙂

the point where he was pouring his foundations actually has about half a dozen interested parties either on the ground or just beneath it in terms or access or services

footflaps

Don’t want to use a metal lip to the ramp.

Metal lip bolted to the existing floor would be the easiest way…

ssboggy

No H&S risk assessment required

So there will be no buried services in the floor then?

spooky_b329

I wouldn’t cut blind into a factory floor without safedigs and a cat and genny!

ssboggy

I wouldn’t cut blind into a factory floor without safedigs and a cat and genny!

^ exactly this. Just because it’s an old derelict factory doesn’t mean there will be nothing dangerous buried in the floor slab.

slowoldman

As Cougar says. Though how you set one of those to cut at 45ª is beyond me.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.