Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • House that 100k built GRRRRR!
  • mk1fan
    Free Member

aP – Member

When I see threads like this I’m always surprised at how narrow the tastes of the public are, and how little they like anything that doesn’t fit their preconceived ideas.

+1000

Funny as well that one thought that plastering all the walls would be a little extra over plastering just the ceilings.

There are few ways to save money on a building of a set size.
    1. Do as much of the work yourself.
    2. By seconds or used materials.
    3. Use less materials.
    4. Do things differently.

Personally, I quite like the idea of plywood as a finish.

aP
    Free Member

I thought that farmhouse turned out really nicely, and it was great seeing the change in the couple once they’d got to grips with the architect’s suggestions. Self finished materials and objet trouvé can add so much.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

When I see threads like this I’m always surprised at how narrow the tastes of the public are, and how little they like anything that doesn’t fit their preconceived ideas.

It’s like the difference between fashion and style. OSB and breeze blocks will be the Architects cool and edgy look for about 5 minutes, then they’ll be consigned to history allong with avocado bathroom suites.

Plastered walls and a skirting board have been the finish of choice for thousands of years because it works and doesn’t look ****.

trail_rat
    Free Member

wow i agree with TINAS on something 😉

aP
    Free Member

I might have to disagree with you there, I’m afraid.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Pretty easy to plaster over breeze block or ply finishes at a later date. As with everything quality of workmanship has a huge impact on the finished article and whether is ‘ages’ well.

Historically, timber pannelling has been the prestigous finish of choice for a lot longer than plaster.

As for skirting boards, they’re for hiding poor workmanship.

mrmo
    Free Member

Historically, timber pannelling has been the prestigous finish of choice for a lot longer than plaster.

has it though? tudor palaces for instance used tapestries to hide the walls, Roman villas used painted wall plaster as did most of that med and its sphere of influence….

Most of history has been using what you have to hand to build with. Be it mud, wood, stone,flint etc.

Just for some god forsaken reason this country is obsessed by recreating georgian boxes. rather than trying to use modern materials to achieve the best results.

Also to mention currently refurbing my late victorian house, the idea of use of colour is striking! modern tends to be white, Romans made lots of use of vivid colours, Victorians made use of dark greens and reds. Fashion applies to everything.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Yes, it has.

I agree with the strange obseesion this country has that a ‘house’ must be Victorian/Georgian/Edwardian brick or stone.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Historionics aside.

The show is kind of misleading. It’s hardly ‘budget building’ as the title suggests. You can comfortably build a family home for £100k.

It’s more ‘Grand Designs on a Shoe String’.

ETA;
    Having said that though I suppose it could be to show a large variety of homes that £100k can acheive. I wonder what the rest of the series has to show. The two I’ve seen were very much GDoSS.

aP
    Free Member

Kieran Long is much less fawning than OurKev as well.

midlifecrashes

Missed this one, will catch it on iPlayer soon. None of them have been close to the mark on actually delivering a whole home including buying the plot, so it’s missing the point for most. You can buy a brand new, developer built 4 bedroom house here for £119,996, so yes, it’s entirely possible.

Given energy costs and the cost and inconvenience of bringing a pre-war solid wall house close to modern energy standards, a few more refurbs/case studies might make useful telly.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘House that 100k built GRRRRR!’ is closed to new replies.