Viewing 37 posts - 161 through 197 (of 197 total)
  • House of the Dragon- GoT prequel
  • johnners
    Free Member

I’ve stuck with it and probably will until the end but it’s undeniably slow and dull. Unless you watch it after an episode of Rings of Power, which makes HotD look taut and pacy!

dirkpitt74

I’ll watch until the end of the series and then I’m done I think – won’t watch next season.
    The Mrs & Daughter are liking it but the time jump, face changes and generally not giving a shit about any of the characters is putting me off.
    Paddy’s make-up/CGI was brilliant as was the beheading – but that’s about it!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Thought it was great fun last night and Smith is by far the best character!

Agent Smith would indeed be my favourite character in HOTD if, that is, he was in HOTD. Sadly, he is not.

Thinking it needs a new title.

Hearse of the Dragon. A slow moving funeral procession.
    House of the Drags-on. Where everything moves veeeery slowly.
    Horse or Dragon… I dunno… it’s just a title…

spawnofyorkshire

Only took nine f***in’ episodes, but it finally got good

mattyfez

has someting happened?

zilog6128

has someting happened?

almost. So, so close now 😂

Teaser trailer gives little away for the finale… really want to see a dragon battle, although wouldn’t be shocked if the majority of the episode were Rhaenyra rallying her forces, then maybe a limited skirmish or two followed by cliffhanger ending. Then wait till 2024 for Season 2 🙄

Enjoyed it tho 😀 A lot was revealed about characters’ motivations/attitudes etc. But needed more beheadings 😂 At least GmcT has survived and may yet do something cool (although he’s dead by now in the book apparently so no-one knows where they’re going with his character)

CheesybeanZ

Only took nine f***in’ episodes, but it finally got good

I must have missed that bit

thols2

Christ, that should have been Ep 3.

chriscubed

Enjoyed that episode, well it gives me (false?) Hope that something might happen in the next one

ta11pau1

Disappointed that she didn’t get even just a little bit burny…

How many episodes are in this season?

FuzzyWuzzy

10, so one left. Apparently the plan is for 4 seasons each with 10 episodes. I’m hoping it will be reverse GoT and get better as the seasons progress! I thought episode 9 was decent, although it still suffers in general from not having any particularly likeable characters.

martinhutch

Disappointed that she didn’t get even just a little bit burny…

Sept of Baelor needs to be left standing so Circe can blow everyone up in it in GoT…

They also need to have at least a couple of characters left standing for series 2.

Aegon had a bit of a Joffrey look about him towards the end. Let’s hope so.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

has someting happened

A dragon burst in to the coronation, then left again without setting fire to anything.

ocrider

Sept of Baelor needs to be left standing so Circe can blow everyone up in it in GoT…

Insert shame gif here

zilog6128

yeah, nerd fail right there 😂

martinhutch

Sorry, half asleep by the end…

vlad_the_invader

So, what’s with the random foot fetish?

CheesybeanZ

So, what’s with the random foot fetish?

Yeah, that was a bit weird 🦶

configuration
    Free Member

HotD is crap, let’s be honest. Entertaining, but it’s drawn out way too much. Each episode has about 5 minutes of anything actually happening, right at the end. You could just cut those segments out and put them together in one long episode really. It’s not written very well, it’s largely not acted very well, the gloomy ‘style’ is, I suspect, to hide the shoddy CGI, set and costume designs etc. I judge a programme by how often I’ll look at my ‘phone whilst ‘watching’ it; HotD doesn’t hold my interest much; like others, I’m often just half watching. The scene with the fighting children was disturbing though.

zilog6128

It’s underwhelming compared to GoT, for sure. The writing is noticeably poorer, some of the acting/casting is pretty bad. It’s way too dark, obviously. (Although I think the CGI is actually very good, particularly the coronation/dragon scene which I assume was largely if not entirely digital). It’s almost as if they’re purposefully trying to give the show a different “feel” to GoT but have lost some of the magic along the way. I mean, I’ve been enjoying it (at least there are a few decent characters who have emerged now!), but it hasn’t lived up to expectations… probably blame the producers as there have been many questionable choices made… still one more ep to pull it out of the bag before I write it off though 😂

easily
    Free Member

I’m enjoying it. I sort of liked the first couple of episodes, and I’ve been gradually drawn in now so I’m actively looking forward to each new instalment. I’ll be gutted when it’s finished as it’s the only thing I’m really watching at the moment – is season 2 really in 2024?

I like the pacing, I like that the motivation of the main characters seems believable (maybe not sir ****, the sexy puritanical knight, but just about everyone else), I like it that there’s no-one to really root for as they are all gits … I even quite like the gloominess.

Much as I liked GoT I thought every season was weaker than the one preceding it. I prefer this to maybe the last 3 seasons of GoT.

tagnut69
    Free Member

not enough tits, bums and sword, and why has none gone bat shite crazy and burnt a city down

zilog6128

It’s not really aimed at ADHD 13-year-olds

tagnut69
    Free Member

I am 45 not 13.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

There is a distinct lack of dragons-burning-things-down, for a show entitled “House of the Dragon”. I R disappoint.

How on earth is this garnering such good reviews?

You know what series did succession better? Succession.

martinhutch

There is a distinct lack of dragons-burning-things-down

One did burn down a pregnant woman, TBF.

Gribs

not enough tits, bums and sword

If you’ve not seen it then you need to watch Spartacus: Blood and Sand. Once past the first couple of episodes the politiking is better than GoT too.

scruffywelder
    Free Member
    zilog6128

For anyone at a loose end on a Sunday night the final episode is already on BitTorrent. Whatever that is 😉

CheesybeanZ

There ya go 😂😂

Best bit of the season 😆😆😆

ta11pau1

Well, what an absolute snorefest that was.

Loads of talking in a dark room, a gruesome childbirth scene (wtaf is it with this show and horrible childbirths?!) More talking in a dark room, a dragon aerial battle, “oh no, I’ve started a war…”

Angry face queen/princess. Roll credits.

YAWN.

thols2

Christ, if they’d compressed the existing episodes down to three and then made seven more of dragon fights and sword battles, it might have been worth watching.

The-Beard

It’s all going to kick off next episode, yeah?

Oh wait…

Maybe we’re just so used to Tory regicide right now that we can’t understand why GoT is taking so long to dispose of any of it’s main characters.  The Tories would have kicked off half way through Episode 1 and they’d still be going at each other hammer and tongs by the season finale.

zilog6128

well, that’s not going to change anyone’s mind on the series now is it 😂

The whole season was essentially just a prologue to the actual story I guess. Wasn’t perfect, time-jumps especially were badly handled (won’t be a problem from now on though as the book nerds assure me the remaining story only takes 2 years to play out and there’s potentially 3 seasons in which to do it!) but on the whole did a decent job of portraying most of the characters’ motivation, etc. I guess squeezing 20 years worth of seething resentment into 10 episodes was never going to be easy!

Dragon battle was cool if obviously a bit one-sided! From the moment he landed at the castle and you saw just how massive the other dragon was looming in the background things were very tense (you knew it was going to end badly!)

Yeah feel a bit robbed that it still hasn’t kicked off yet properly but it is what it is, at least they haven’t ruined it like the last few seasons of GoT so it still has plenty of potential. Just need to forget about it for 2 years now 😂

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

That was it? The finale?

martinhutch

It’s annoying that virtually every episode appears to have 40 minutes of filler leading up to a couple of decent scenes at the end, even the finale.

Again, just rewatched the finale of season 5 of GoT. Absolutely packed with action/interest from start to finish. Has the same 60 minute running time, but you came away with no idea how they crammed so much in.

zilog6128

It’s annoying that virtually every episode appears to have 40 minutes of filler

it doesn’t though, does it? I mean, not if you’re actually watching it & not just playing on your phone waiting for the next execution 😂

Probably fairer to compare it with the GoT season 1 finale, obviously by season 5 all the build-up is done and they’re cracking on with the action! Even so, it’s clearly a very different show – there’s only really one plot line, rather than the many different ones GoT had (and completely failed to wrap up many of them in a satisfactory way, don’t forget!)
    I’d actually probably point to S5 as when it started to go bad… morphing into a show that was all about action/adventure rather than the interesting dialogue/social interactions punctuated by violence that was more memorable/effective because it wasn’t happening all the time… some people liked that, some didn’t

Viewing 37 posts - 161 through 197 (of 197 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.