Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • House Insurance…
  • jimdubleyou

Has your Buildings & Contents insurance gone up by loads this year or is it just me?

Aviva originally quoted me 15% over last years premium, phoned up, did the dance and it’s now just a 10% increase.

Bloke was clearly not interested in keeping the business, so I think I’ll be moving on.

Anybody got any experience of QuoteMeHappy? They appear to have the same bike rules as Aviva (quote for most expensive bike means all are covered, keep it locked up) and otherwise similar cover.

stevied
    Free Member

Mine went up from £480 to £680! No claims during the year either..
    Did some looking around and got better cover for £340 🙂 including £4k bike and a couple of other named valuables..

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Goes up every year but can always get a cheaper deal if I move. Standard insurance jiggery pokery. Car insurance is cheaper now than it ever has been and I’ve never had a more valuable, higher performance and more knickable car. Inflation on my insurances over the last 25 years has been close to zero, but takes some effort to maintain.

Rich_s

QuoteMeHappy is Aviva.

DezB
    Free Member

I just confused.com every year. They always put it up.

For the first time ever, my car insurance went down though, without changing! I wuz stunned.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I am just looking at this very thing right now, Pedal Cover – £30 more but worse cover compared to last year due to underwriter change.

Nearest I can get to match AXAs pedal cover policy last year is M&S but £100 more than last years price! Yeesh.

Insuring a bike over 5k is expensive it seems.

northernmatt

We had ours with Lloyds which I let auto-renew last year. This year the renewal came through a £580 which was an £80 increase. Went on moneysupermarket and got it down to £340 with esure. That’s with named items including bikes to the value of around £6k and laptops at around £1500.

IHN

They’re getting the increases in now, as soon they’ll have to offer the same premiums for new business and renewals.

Anyway, just plug all your details into the price comparison site of your choice and move each year.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Pedalcover premium went up 50% this year for worse cover.

Managed to get cover this year with M&S for less than I paid Pedalcover last year.

M&S aren’t as good for bikes in the car or baggage handler damage, but I doubt I’ll fly anywhere with the bikes this year and a bfo lock and chain should sort the car issue.

matt_outandabout

My biggest issue is not price – it is reduced cover and more stringent terms.

The price means I am nearing a place where I will ‘self insure’ bikes by saving each year, particularly when the boys have left home.

Cougar

Goes up every year but can always get a cheaper deal if I move. Standard insurance jiggery pokery.

There’s legislation imminent to stop this bollocks, I believe.

jimdubleyou

Yup – might be why they are putting everything up now.

QuoteMeHappy is Aviva.

Lols – I’ll go with QuoteMeHappy then if it’s the same mob – I thought it looked eerily familiar, and it’s £100 cheaper…

MoreCashThanDash

Renewal with esure has just gone up £30, with about £10k of bikes specified, so about 10%.

To be honest I can’t be bothered trying to shop around and sort out the bikes for £30

40mpg

Just had my Hastings renewal through. Gone up a whopping £5 from £365 to £370. This includes a pile of bikes as named items, although none over £2k. Never tried to claim though…

footflaps

Yes comes in at the end of the year?

I always change insurer every year, easier than negotiating a discount. I just ping back and forth between Direct Line and John Lewis.

allyharp

It won’t entirely stop you seeing increases at renewal if the insurer has re-evaluated their view of risk, updated expense assumptions (eg. responding to inflation) or if your underlying risk has changed. It will mean your renewal price in in-line with what they charge at new business though, so it should handle the routing increases for no reason.

If you’re the type of person who switches each year though you’re going to lose out, as nobody’s new business prices will be quite as cheap as they used to be.

dovebiker

Just about to move so starting to look around.

Bashed my details into MoneySupermarket – cheapest quote was £300, some over £800

Same info into QuoteMeHappy – £180 – like that the bike cover is on the basis that you only take one away from home.

irc

Direct Line. Up £15 to £285. But I am not on auto-renewal so I need to phone anyway. Matched last year without any problem.

footflaps

If you’re the type of person who switches each year though you’re going to lose out, as nobody’s new business prices will be quite as cheap as they used to be.

I’d be quite happy to stay with one but just object to them automatically adding 25% because they assume I’m too lazy to phone around. Same reason I left Virgin and went back to BT, bit of a pain to move (different router etc) but I object to be taken for a ride.

jamesco

Been with NFU at this house for 5 years, it’s gone down every year,( no claims mind). Wife says it is too much but looking at some of your rates either we live in a dump or youse live in splendour. Either way I am much happier now thanks.

footflaps

but looking at some of your rates

I assume there must be a big premium for bikes in those quotes, ours is normally under £200 for quite generous cover (no bikes). Comparison sites offer quotes as low as £50 (for house + contents), which I’m always a bit dubious about.

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

My M&S quote has gone up 20% this year, pedalcover are coming in competitive. What’s so bad about their wording?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘House Insurance…’ is closed to new replies.