Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • House backing onto primary school playing field
  • pandhandj
    Free Member

I lived beside a school for 28 years. I wouldn’t do it again…

poolman
    Free Member

Ok ta ‘re vendor commenting on inconvenience.

My concern is with a recession looming any house with a blight that needs selling will get crucified on the offer. The last but one owner took a 20% hit in 18 months of ownership.

I m neutral on it, clearly some people have views either side. I wouldn’t want to have to plan my day around the school drop offs, break times etc.

Tbh if I got it cheap I d live with the risk, but wouldn’t pay a premium.

mrb123
    Free Member

CheesybeanZ

What about the noise, kids playing is happy noise.

Until it’s not .

didnthurt

An old guy at the back of my primary school used to put a knife into footballs that went into his garden whilst making eye contact with you. I’m pretty sure that the school was there before he was as the school was pretty old. What a tosser!

Oggles
    Free Member

We have lived a few doors down from a village primary entrance for almost three years. Traffic ‘chaos’ never really an issue though appreciate it could be worse in suburban/urban areas with no off street parking. Only ever blocked in once whilst leaving the house in the morning and we told the driver to move.

No problem with the sound of kids playing. We live downwind and it’s never really that loud and only registers from inside if the window’s open. Sounds from further away tend to carry more and are more annoying, like mystery drum kit neighbour.

Never had a problem with litter.

Biggest benefit is the quiet during school holidays, evenings, weekends. Fewer neighbours to make noise, play music outside, only overlooked from our immediately adjacent neighbours etc. Fewer cars coming and going from neighbors and friends etc. A far cry from our old new build which was overlooked by about seven houses.

reluctantjumper

My first flat in Cardiff was next to a primary school, a decent one too. Got fed up of my car being vandalised (wing mirrors ripped off) and lots of scratches from the kids and parents brushing past so moved as soon as my tenancy was up for renewal. The chaos at dropping off/picking up time was unreal, saw one or two fights between parents!!

I wouldn’t live next to a school, but then I don’t want kids or particularly like them so wouldn’t look in an area close to a school.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I live next to the school, as in the entrance is at the end of my terrace 2 doors down. Not a school, all of them, the local super campus. Nursery to high school.

Traffic can be manic from around 0840 to 0900 then slightly less so from around 1440 to 1600 but it’s not awful. It would work better with a one way system as one side of the road is parked on but by and large most folk play by the rules. Might help that the local PC wanders round in the morning. The worst we get is pavement parking further up the street and the occasional twunt that thinks a dropped kerb is to facilitate substituting the pavement for the road. Noise has never been a particular issue but agree kids can be right noisy beggars!

Rubbish honestly isn’t that bad but we’re right at the back of town away from takeaways and such so not much of that crap makes it up here. Obviously it depends on where you are.

I wouldn’t be put off in the slightest, if you want an honest opinion check the local Facebook group, also gets a good measure of the locals.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

It all depends IMHO. My old primary school had a large playing field for its size. A friend of the family lived in a detached backing onto the school playing fields and I don’t ever remember it being mentioned as a problem. The single-storey school building was at least 100 foot away or more. However, about 10 years ago the school at least doubled its size and new buildings were built. I would imagine that now the loss of amenity and overlooking is more of a problem.

My old secondary school had even more massive playing fields and I don’t think any houses backing onto it were inconvenienced.

ctk
    Free Member

Backing on to a playing field does not mean people will be parking in front of your house.

Sorry if I’ve missed this info but is the entrance to school near the house?

Also is it a school only playing field or is it open to other people after schoolfinishes?

If its school only then imo that’s a nice outlook for the back of your house.

zippykona

Don’t forget that we voted for playing fields to be turned into housing estates.

onehundredthidiot

Primary 50m from my house I’m a secondary teacher.
    No cars about when I leave home or return and quiet when I’m on holiday. So if you’re away by 0830 and back after 1600 it’ll be quiet. After school clubs etc are not all kids.

cookeaa

we Lived next to a Primary for 9 years, both our kids went/still go there.
    The school try to manage parents and parking and know it can upset locals.
    TBH it’s not the parking that really annoys, it’s only really an issue for two ~40 minute windows on weekdays. It’s only a small minority of parents that insist on driving right up to the school, some will park further away and walk, those that live nearby will walk.

But the thing that was worst during school run times was impatient parental driving, angry, beeping and heavy Right feet as if being an arse would actually get them somewhere faster, and somehow ignoring the fact that there are kids about…

We moved last year, only round the corner, so we’re now an extra street or so further away with no direct driving route right up to the school gates, it’s a wee bit further to walk but not much longer time wise and much less traffic at 08:15-08:45ish… Guess where the slightly cleverer parents park?

poolman
    Free Member

Ok cheers all, house is 2 doors away from the village primary school. House backs onto schools playing fields.

Next door, ie, adjacent school, nice big detached but sold q cheaply v others in road. The one for sale sold at a loss v quickly 10 years ago, but current owner 10 years.

So a bit marmite really, I q like the open outlook, kids noise on playing field, theres a playground round the other side. Nice big back garden where I d be pottering with fruit trees and raised beds.

Front has gates and off street parking, big semi so loads of light and set back from road.

So lovely house, nice rear outlook over playing fields, priced at a premium. I ‘ll sleep on it.

Thanks all comments, and no frozen sausages, dog worrying, unimog, nationwide trails.

andyl
    Free Member

Used to live a few hundred metres up from a popular secondary school.

the biggest danger to the kids were their own parents. Pretty much everyone else in the street/village knew the risks, bar a couple of knobs as usual, but the parents were a nightmare. There was no pavement so all the kids would wander up the road en-mass as kids do but it was the parents who were speeding, passing them too closely, on the their phones etc etc.

then there was the litter, I did take particular offence to the village shop making money from selling kids junk food and energy drinks but to then make no effort to clean up the mess as all the empty wrappers and cans it was discarded up the road or on the farm land.

For me i am afraid it’s a no. Purely because of the actions of parents and a minority of the kids who drop litter but then probably went on strike to attend a Greta Thunberg rally…

mattsccm
    Free Member

Check that school out. Maybe speak to the school. The horror stories above don’t match the small rural school where i work. 4 out 0f 57 kids walk there. The rest are well over a mile away so not :-)driving isn’t an option. Drives ways are never blocked. Bit of daft parking on a bend but there is still plenty of room. Parish council won’t have yellow lines. All schools are different.
    Another possible advantage. When i was contemplating teacher training 30 years ago a mate who was a year further on recommended primary schools. Much more in the way of yummy Mummies. Sadly it is mostly stale grannies now but you may be lucky!
    Generally flash 4wd means nicer cakes at events and if you want to get involved with the school you would have some fun. And cake.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Would only have bothered be back in the days I worked nightshift, tbh I’d never really be there at pick up and drop off times, and if I was, I’d just ignore it as it’s really not worth getting worked up about.

There was a guy near my daughters school who I saw having actual fights with dads on a number of occasions, he was obsessed, his life must’ve been a misery, but all within his control.

anagallis_arvensis

and a minority of the kids who drop litter but then probably went on strike to attend a Greta Thunberg rally…

Life must be hard in your bitter and twisted world!

Kryton57

Apart from the genuine arseholes, don’t blame the parents for all this parking all of the time.  We tend to park two streets away and walk, but – pre lockdown – you need to appreciate most of those parents needed to get to/ back from work and are rushing around a narrow window of time.    Gone are days of “housewife with time on her hands” for the majority.

In balance I’ve seen people come out of their house determine to get into a punch up over a car parked outside their drive whilst in their dressing gowns and with no intention of leaving soon.  They are just spoiling for an argument because they Are either too entitled or don’t like the noise, these are the people that should never have moved near to a school.

I wondering with less of a need to catch trains or go to an office a some of this will calm down, as the narrow window of schools drop off time will be removed for many parents.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

you need to appreciate most of those parents needed to get to/ back from work and are rushing around a narrow window of time.

Rubbish. If you’re rushing, it’s your own fault, appreciate this my arse.

richardkennerley

An old friend of my mum’s lived near the village primary. She had the same mum parked outside her house every day smoking, waiting for her kid. She kept flicking fag ends on the pavement outside the house. So my ma’s friend started collecting them. One she had a couple of weeks worth, she gave them back by tipping them in through the window! 😜🚬🚗👌

theotherjonv

200 yards from the school entrance and directly opposite the playing field (there’s an alleyway that joins the two), hence different locations.

As above, around 0830 and again at 1500 it’s bedlam for 20 minutes. The rest of the time it’s no issue at all. Maybe a couple of other times a year at school play or parents evenings there’s a bit more traffic, but if you don’t need to drive up and down you road at those times, and can accept an occasional evening of ‘Oh, there must be something on at the school’ then I wouldn’t let it put you off at all.

The local kids football club uses the playing field at weekends. The parents for that are far more considerate parkers, but that might be because a friend is Chairman and drums it home in all newsletters. I even got admonished by a parent one day – I’d come back from the builders merchants with a load of stuff in the car and parked across my driveway to unload it, before I was even out they’d rushed over to tell me I couldn’t park across someone’s drive. I showed her my wood and we were soon on good terms hammering away at my erection.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Grew up opposite a school.

All of the above. It goes from being silly quiet to silly busy at the drop of a hat usually at predictable times.

Often incidents either parent-parent or car-car.

Soon as I was no longer attending that school parents moved.

I wouldn’t move near a school out of choice….if you have kids- choosing as I have to not live near the school you’ll have to accept that you need to get the kids to school and plan accordingly rather than rushing around stressed and causing agro at the gates.

Kryton57

Rubbish. If you’re rushing, it’s your own fault, appreciate this my arse.

Why, because people have to work, employers insist(ed) on 9am start times, or enforced their pound of flesh from you making sure that having 30 minutes off work in the afternoon before returning was penalised by having to work to 8pm?

Thats a standard line from the person that moved next to a school and doesn’t take the time to appreciate a working family’s challenges.

I bet you can’t stand the pigeons walking over your perfectly striped lawn either.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What are you on about? I don’t stay near a school, or have stripes on my lawn. If you’re rushing, then it’s no one else’s fault but yours, that’s a fact. You chose where you live, you took the job, and every chance you moved there for the school.

People living near a school need to chill, but to call them entitled, and yet say it’s not parents fault is embarrassing.

Kryton57

Nice bit of selective repetition for your own benefit.

and yet say it’s not parents fault

I didn’t say that, I agreed there’s always arseholes on that front, and there are.  Its not ALL parents either.   I also didn’t say ALL people that lived near a school, here’s my text for the hard of reading:

In balance I’ve seen people come out of their house determine to get into a punch up over a car parked outside their drive whilst in their dressing gowns and with no intention of leaving soon.  They are just spoiling for an argument because they Are either too entitled or don’t like the noise, these are the people that should never have moved near to a school.

Quite clear in both cases I’m quoting the idiots that fuel the fire of these issues – who exist on both sides.

that’s a fact.

Its also a fact the life revolves – in the main – around people having children, children needing an education and people needing to work.  To post here an imply that none of that could be happening and that to keep people driveways clear we should all be so considerate not to do all three – together at least – is just an obstinate naivety.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You know what, you’re right, enjoy your day.

zilog6128

Backing on to a playing field does not mean people will be parking in front of your house.

@ctk wrong! A mate had a house once in a cul-de-sac that backed onto the BACK of the school playing field. The “clever” parents would avoid the parking nightmare outside the school gates and instead clog up the cul-de-sac/peoples’ drives etc so their kids could walk over the field to the school. He didn’t stay in that house very long 😂

StirlingCrispin

Live 100m from a primary school.

Love to hear the playground noise during a school day.

Even the neighbour’s drive to drop the kids off FFS – no idea where they park!

Anyway – in Scotland school grounds are open for the community 24/7.

Houses right next to the school get occasional issues with kids playing basketball all hours and having yoof-standoffs. Hearing a ball battering against a bike shed can get a bit tiring too.

On the bright side, a school playing field is less likely to be built on.

Do it.

5lab

Idling engines will become less of an issue over time as the majority of cars sold now have stop/start and in a few years the majority will have some form of electric propulsion as well. Might be a decade till it starts making a noticeable difference thou

teethgrinder

I live right next to a middle school and a secondary school (Northumberland’s weird 3 tier school system)

Nothing weird about 3-tier.  And it’s high school, not secondary.

We are 5 min walk away from a pair of first schools (one is Catholic) and a middle school, and the high school is 15 mins walk away.  Prudhoe, if anyone is bothered.

The closer you get to the first schools, the worse the parking gets.  The middle school, parents park on the road outside which gets tedious but you learn to go home the other way if you are there at the wrong time (FWIW, this is also next to the Catholic church, and those **** are even worse on a Sunday).

High school not too bad, as catchment area bigger so buses bring most of the kids in.

martymac

I showed her my wood and we were soon on good terms hammering away at my erection.
    This needs more explanation I think . .

cookeaa

You chose where you live, you took the job, and every chance you moved there for the school.

Ahhh yes, how could we forget, everyone has all the possible options to choose from, employment of your choice on flexible terms is readily available to all, life is utterly predictable and there’s no such thing as “circumstances” to contend with…

Anyway, I prefer living closer to a school in some ways, the area tends to be a little nicer with less retail an pubs so close by, it’s normally quieter at the weekends/evenings and I happened to have a routine that worked well enough around the schools busy times. I appreciate this may not be the case for all…

poolman
    Free Member

Thanks all, I have slept on the idea. I could live with the school 100m away but would expect to pay a discount, not a premium. So really up to the vendor, house only went on mrket yesterday so early days.

I ll keep you all updated, really appreciate the tips.

johndoh
    Free Member

In balance I’ve seen people come out of their house determine to get into a punch up over a car parked outside their drive whilst in their dressing gowns and with no intention of leaving soon.

Perhaps it was someone else in the house that needed to get off the drive but they were just finishing getting ready to leave so the person in the dressing gown was requesting that the drive was not blocked? Things are not always black and white.

FB-ATB

I showed her my wood and we were soon on good terms hammering away at my erection.
    This needs more explanation I think . .

Was she called Samantha?

Kryton57

Perhaps it was someone else in the house that needed to get off the drive but they were just finishing getting ready to leave so the person in the dressing gown was requesting that the drive was not blocked? Things are not always black and white.

I was involved in mediating the altercation, the home owner was merely pissed off at someone parked over her drive due to a past incident where the was blocked from leaving, despite the fact she didn’t need to enter or exit the drive then nor in the next 5 minutes it took for the Parent to drop off the kids and leave.

Was she called Samantha?

Louise, of course.

johndoh
    Free Member

I was involved in mediating the altercation

Of course, I was sure you would have ensured you got the full details of the event for future reference.

Kryton57

I’m not sure what your implication there is johndoh.  My overall point is that inflammatory situations are not always cause by the school drop off party, and a little understanding from people that live near a school might not go amiss notwithstanding their are exceptions.

Our time based needs often mean the two clash, and the current level of entitlement in today’s society often leads to everyone thinking it is thier right to do there thing when they want without regard to others.

squirrelking
    Free Member

due to a past incident where the was blocked from leaving, despite the fact she didn’t need to enter or exit the drive then nor in the next 5 minutes it took for the Parent to drop off the kids and leave.

a little understanding from people that live near a school might not go amiss notwithstanding their are exceptions.

Nope, homeowner is completely in the right here. Parking across someones drive is a dick move whatever way you try to spin it. It happens enough times that people lose tolerance and “understanding”.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘House backing onto primary school playing field’ is closed to new replies.