Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • House alarm systems – which one?
  • crapknees
    Free Member

Having just had to deal with the fallout from a relative’s house getting broken into, l want to get an alarm system fitted to my house. I have literally no idea what to look for though.

FYI, we live in a three story property, with wooden exterior doors fitted with deadbolts, wooden framed double glazing etc so not the most secure unfortunately. I’d like to have a system that secures the lower two floors (both are accessible from outside), with possibly an additional sensor for a cellar.

Problem is, we have a dog that likes to roam the house at night, and a kiddie on the way so need something that is easy to disarm if we have to go downstairs regularly overnight.

Anything like this exist?

redpanda
    Free Member

A silent one. Unless you want your neighbours burning your house down whilst you’re on holiday, because a mouse/cockroach/moth has set off an alarm which then drowns the entire neighbourhood in ear-piercing noise night and day.

An alarm won’t stop your house being burgled. in fact, it advertises to would be burglars, that you have items of value within. Burglars who may be rather adept at disarming alarm systems.

Spend the money on upgrading locks and security instead.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Check out the Yale HSA6400. It’s awesome for the money and dead easy to install.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Doesn’t someone on here sell them for a living?

Largely a waste of money I reckon these days. The police don’t bother going out to burglaries anyway and neighbours aren’t too interested in my experience (having just moved into a house, I triggered the alarm with an incorrect code for over two hours. No one batted an eye lid whilst I googled instructions for the engineering codes to shut it up)

crapknees
    Free Member

Spend the money on upgrading locks and security instead

I’ve done all l can for the time being with regards to this. Fitted those screw key – type deadbolts to each exterior door, hide all expensive items, bikes locked in the cellar. Its going to be ahuge expense getting the house up to scratch, although it is something l am planning on eventually. The alarm will be a step in the right direction.

footflaps

An alarm won’t stop your house being burgled. in fact, it advertises to would be burglars, that you have items of value within. Burglars who may be rather adept at disarming alarm systems.

I’d have thought they’d just go for the neighbour’s house without the alarm – path of least resistance etc.

gary

I had a break in, where I can only presume the alarm caused the scrotes responsible to do a runner since they missed got the front door open then left plenty of easily accessible goodies. The police said they were surprised they didn’t simply avoid the place due to the alarm box, so they believe there is some benefit.

I’ve got a variant of the Yale system mentioned above, not really the highest tech, but very easy to fit and has been pretty reliable. Had it for just over 10 years and the only problem was recently needing to replace the siren as it went a bit mad and was going off without being triggered.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Ton on here will be along in a minute.

Considering options for our next place. Given comments above, and past experience, I’m tending towards
    – some form of automated lights to suggest house is occupied
    – bellbox on the house, with a bell, that gets ‘tested’ every so often.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘House alarm systems – which one?’ is closed to new replies.