Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Monday Night Pub Ride : Turbines
  • Harry_the_Spider

Binners is our leader. He’ll be along shortly to break the bad news to everyone.

We need a venue for Monday 29th too if anybody has a suggestion. I’m away, so you’ll have to sort it out amongst yourselves.

Monday 5th can be back at our spiritual home in Prestwich.

binners

Right you ‘orrible lot!

Monday night sees us taking to the hills again. We shall be enjoying a jaunt up to the turbines, with a play at Cragg Quarry thrown in for good measure, and a cracking descent to finish. Usual start time of 8.15 at the Coach and Horses in Edenfield

I can’t promise free chips, but there will be beer

You know the drill….

Monday night club BW by binlidski, on Flickr

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

I’ll be there.

Binners, I take it we’re riding up?

binners

We are mate. Nothing like a nice big climb to start. If you want, we can set off an hour earlier and do the Rake/Tower/Bucky Woods/Irwell Vale route to get us to Edenefield

After all, it’ll be downhill all the way home afterwards. 😉

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

At least my legs would be warmed up for the coal road. I’ll let you know if I can get out early. You’ll have to tell Lee we are setting off 1 1/2 early for him to be ready 😉

binners

Ah yes. I’ll factor in Lee’s Vortex of Faffing 😀

binners

Have we got a roll call for tomorrow night then? Looks like its going to be hot as hell, with possible thunderstorms! So where you want to be is right on the top of some exposed moorland, surrounded by whopping great big lightning conductors 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Will let you know. I need to give the bike a test flight.

Bregante

binners

Harry – I’ve told you you can borrow my full suss for the climbs, and my hardtail for the descents 😉

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

I’m still in athough both my body and bike are in bits after Antur Stiniog today.
    Rear mech snapped
    Chain bent (somehow half of it flipped over 180 degrees)
    Oil leak on forks

Anyone know where I can get a xt mech from tomorrow? Have one reserved at leisure lakes but its a bit dear.

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

Leisure lakes have a pricematch policy providing its not grey oem kit

binners

Are you familiar with the ancient Chinese prover: stick a deore on it, you’re only going to smash it anyway’?

Bregante

Japanese, surely? 🙂

jaqsobo
    Free Member

After joining last week’s Darwen jaunt I will be coming along tonight, especially as it’s my ‘hood.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’m oot.
    got no dosh.
    and no fully working MTB now (the fork on my norco is in dire need of a service).

derek_starship
    Free Member

Sorry. My bike is in St. Cookson’s Hospital with multiple injuries.

It’s gonna be a big bill….

trolleywheels
    Free Member

How very dare you : I do not faff… I just have a very bad sense of “how long things take”

See you at the Urn upon my carbon steed.

Trolley.

binners

Have Cooksons been sabotaging bikes then? Seems like there’s an awful lot of deaded bikes in North Manchester at the moment. All destined for Cooksons field hospital

You’re meant to kill your bike in the winter! Not when the suns out. Silly!

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

Can any of you guys please guide me, I’ve just ride up the coal road and got to the cross roads with the turbine service roads which way do u go now to get back over to crag quarry, I don’t normally come up this way but thought I’d give it a go

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

Found it I guessed right 🙂 its riding very fast enjoy…

binners

Jonny – The best way is to drop down Waughs Well – straight on, in front of you, at the top of the Coal Road. Brings you round the back of Cragg. Thats where we’ll be headed later 😀

jonnyb1972
    Free Member

Cheers mate that’s the way I went, its a nice change from going up through lee or up past edenfield cricket ground 🙂

binners

An absolute corker of a run tonight! There were bits that are a permanent bog that were bone dry tonight! Cragg was superb fun! And the descent from the turbines to Owd Betts had us all cackling like deranged psychopaths! Just brilliant!

Oh… And Happy Birthday Daz! What a way to celebrate it! You kept that one quiet til we got in the pub. 😉

hallz
    Free Member

Thanks to Binners for showing me round a great place to ride! Had a ball tonight… wasn’t sure that i was up for it before i set off but it was fantastic! Company was great too – shame there were no free chips this week though the bar certainly had other attractions! 😀

Will definitely come back up there and have another go!

Bregante

Belting ride tonight binners. That last descent is a corker.

trolleywheels
    Free Member

Hopefully this’ll work.. The likely lads..

trolleywheels
    Free Member

Widescreen viewing..

trolleywheels
    Free Member

oh, and for those that were there – 49th out of 200 for my scoot up the coal road according to Strava… I’m way off!!!

binners

Yeah but we’re joint 14th through the turbines, with an average of a smidge under 40k. Which was pretty damn good considering how sketchy it felt. The back was sliding all over the place! 😀

Downhills are where it’s at! If you’re a porker, then gravity becomes your friend!

trolleywheels
    Free Member

Yeah, noticed that – how good is that!! We must have really give it some down through there!

hallz
    Free Member
    trolleywheels
    Free Member

Brilliant Blog mate! Keep it up – 🙂 Lee

binners

Great Blog hallz! Nice to have the record of a fantastic ride!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Monday Night Pub Ride : Turbines’ is closed to new replies.