Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda dryer warning
  • mrsfry
    Free Member

Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda dryers bought between April 2004 and October 2015 are affected

Customers facing lengthy delays to have tumble dryers fixed after fire risk warning

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah I got an email from AO back in January, replied, still waiting for a date for the engineer to come out.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I emailed in November, got in the queue, then an email from them in January saying I would be sorted in February. Then a phonecall last week from some irate woman from the people saying I needed to do something on line see my email. The wife took the call and didn’t know anything about it, so when home from work, showed her the email and it didn’t have anything on there to do, just they will book me for Feb. Still not sorted. If the replacement they offered was better than the nasty thing they have, I would go for a new dryer, as ours is 7years old.

dmorts

The Birmingham Mail treading a fine line there. Two potentially related stories mashed together to almost insinuate a Hotpoint/Indesit/Creda dryers hasa already killed someone

thestabiliser
    Free Member

We’ve got one, turning it on at bed time’s added that excitement that’s been missing in our lives.

miketually
    Free Member

We know of a few people who have had their dryer catch fire. Glad ours is in the detached garage.

We’re waiting for them to get back to us, but our neighbours just got a new one as there aren’t enough engineers in the North East to carry out the repairs.

nealglover
    Free Member

The advice is to carry on using it, so why didn’t they do that instead of buying a new one?

Clean out the filter after each use, and provide adequate ventilation are both in the user manual as things you should do anyway.

dmorts

The advice is to carry on using it, so why didn’t they do that instead of buying a new one?

Clean out the filter after each use, and provide adequate ventilation are both in the user manual as things you should do anyway.

Plus don’t leave it unattended!

jam-bo

i registered just after they announced it.

so far all I’ve had is emails and phone calls trying to sell me a new tumbledryer at a reduced price.

fasthaggis

Dryer warning

Drier warning

Dyer warning

nealglover
    Free Member

Which has been generally advised for as long as I can remember.

http://www.clevelandfire.gov.uk/safety/home-safety/tumble-dryer-safety/

fionap

My gran was affected by this, they weren’t able to get an engineer out for months but sold her a new “£299” machine for £99 instead so she’s happy.

nealglover
    Free Member

Can I have her old one ?

bear-uk
    Free Member

There’s hardly any fluff in our filter. I think most of it is going inside the machine, hence the fires.
    Still waiting for repair after a few months since reported.

loddrik
    Free Member

My gran was affected by this, they weren’t able to get an engineer out for months but sold her a new “£299” machine for £99 instead so she’s happy.

This is what I got. In fact the new dryer was delivered this morning. I’m happy with £99 for a new condensing dryer. The one it replaced was 7 years old, in use every day and never given us any trouble.

Looking at the money saving expert forums regarding this issue, there are some miserable bastards around. Some people threatening legal action unless they get a brand new dryer free of charge. Although there does seem some inconsistency as to who got a free one and who had to pay, the general rule was supposedly anyone with a dryer under two years old got theirs replaced free of charge, older than that and a repair or a subsidised dryer was offered. But apparently it is all over the place.

But even still, some people carry on like they are ‘entitled’ to a free of charge top of the range dryer.

Cougar

*Anyone wishing to check whether their tumble dryer is affected should visit http://safety.hotpoint.eu/ or http://safety.indesit.eu/ , or call their freephone helpline on 0800 151 0905.

johndoh
    Free Member

so far all I’ve had is emails and phone calls trying to sell me a new tumbledryer at a reduced price.

I haven’t heard a thing since I got my confirmation email.

jam-bo

I’m going to wait for a repair, mine works fine, I’m following their advice of cleaning the filters after every load and not running it unattended.

My guess is that eventually I’ll get a new one as its got to be cheaper than sending someone out to fix mine.

johndoh
    Free Member

My guess is that eventually I’ll get a new one as its got to be cheaper than sending someone out to fix mine.

You do kinda think that don’t you – cost of a call-out, parts, time versus just coming out and giving you a new unit that probably cost them £75 to make, pack ship etc.

jam-bo

indeed. and if it sets fire in the meantime. I’ll sue them… 😀

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve just paid £60 for a replacement one. Given that the original (Creda) is about 7 years old and well used, I’m pretty happy with that.

I always cleaned out the fluff but it certainly did collect a lot and after the recall we delved in further and managed to pull a load more fluff out so I can see how they could catch fire 😯

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

The £60 one offered isn’t as good as the one we have . If they offered a better one for a few quid more, with a built in moisture sensor like ours, which switches off when dry rather than keep running until the timer stops, then I would buy it. But they don’t, so I will keep our 7 yr old one, which did go pop under warranty but they fixed it many moons ago. We’ve already had our monies worth out the machine, as I bought a cheap one and paid for a 5yr warranty , which covered the repair and I just thought that at 5yrs , it was worth nothing and any longer was a bonus. So to have a strip and clean out and modified heater may mean it will last another 5 years….. Must admit that the unit vents through the kitchen wall and the amount of fluff dumped on the floor is quite surprising and I did clean the tube out in the summer, so even the filter doesn’t stop if going through the machine.

simmy
    Free Member

Mine is about 2 years old and I’ve gone for the replacement at £59, which is being delivered tomorrow.

At least I get a bit of warranty with the new one.

It’s unbelievable the amount of fluff they accumulate under the filter. I even got my STW signature Henry vacuum in and there was still fluff in it.

Im happier paying £59 and knowing I can nip to the shop whilst it’s running without worrying I’m coming back to 3 dead dogs and no house.

LoCo
    Free Member

Thanks for posting this, just checked ours and it one of the affected models 😀

iain1775
    Free Member

Ours is one of the affected ones too, I’ve moved the bikes out of the garage (where the drier is located) and into the kitchen until it gets repaired/replaced 😀

ssboggy

Ours is affected too, that’s a good idea iain1775 as our drier is in the garage with the bikes 😀

dmorts

Which has been generally advised for as long as I can remember.

http://www.clevelandfire.gov.uk/safety/home-safety/tumble-dryer-safety/

I know, but I was shocked when recently reading reviews of tumble driers where the moisture sensor was a bit sensitive, that they complained they “couldn’t put the machine on and go out” 😯

nick1962
    Free Member

Our’s is less than 3 years old and they came and repaired it within 2 weeks of emailing them at the end of last year.They replace the back panel with a new one with a better seal so stray fluff can’t get near the heating element and set on fire. The repair guy said some people run it without the filter in 😯 and others rarely clean it.I clean my filter after every cycle and never run it for more than 40 minutes anyway.My main complaint is that driers shrink your clothes.My mum and sister in law recommend White Knight driers and to get one with a higher load capacity than your likely to need as clothes dry quicker and get less creased. I feel i should be posting this last bit on mumsnet.

ctk
    Free Member

Mine is one of the ones affected its under a year old and they say they are coming in June to fix it.

nickewen
    Free Member

Couple of my mates shared a house for about a year. When one moved out I took the room and noticed the dryer performance was sub-optimal… I pulled (yarked!) the filter out and i could have made several jumpers from the material in there… I enquired with my mate as to when the last time he emptied the filter was. His response?

“what’s that then?” 😯

mrsfry
    Free Member

You lot to posh for washing lines or a clothes horse. Bet you chaps drink from China cups as well 😉

Murray

Just got the letter. I always clean the filter (wife does less so) so I’m hoping we’re OK until it is fixed.

jam-bo

I doubt a load of washing I’d put out three months ago would of had a chance to dry yet.

project
    Free Member

Article in Daily Mirror today about the fires

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda dryer warning’ is closed to new replies.