Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hospitals – who looks after a patient’s records?
  • bob_summers

Short version – Dad’s having palliative treatment for prostate cancer which keeps spreading. Is more or less housebound with badly swollen/blistered legs. 2 weeks ago admitted to hospital after not being able to get out of his chair – high fever and turned out to be sepsis (?) so IV antibiotics etc and is currently having a lung drained.
    I flew over last week to see him, but my eyes and ears are his partner, and my sister who are going up every day. The problem is, with so many shift changes it’s hard to find one person who knows what’s going on. Eg. yesterday he told my sister he’d be going home after a chest xray showed the fluid had cleared. He has apparently invented this (I’ve noticed he’s getting gradually more confused) as none of the ward nurses knew anything about it.
    The question, I guess, is who can I/my sis speak to who has access to his records? Can I ring someone? It’s quite frustrating being far away and he said he doesn’t want me visiting until he’s at home…

perchypanther
    Free Member

‘s all computermabobs these days innit?

Any of the ward staff with computer access should be able to pull up his records including all the x rays and test results etc.

Drac

While he’s on the ward they will have recent records and/or digital access to them.

Hope he recovers soon.

bob_summers

Cheers. Can I just ring up and ask for that?

DrP

probably not. confidentiality etc are key for offering healthcare to the public.
    Even if your father signs a consent form, giving you ‘access to his records’ probably won’t answer your question.
    I guess my advice would be to think of a few questions you want answered, and to book a time to speak to teh team or nurse in charge.

DrP

martinhutch

You’re more likely to get joy asking about the likelihood of discharge, and possible dates with the justification that you need to set up continuing care for him at home. Chapter and verse on his condition will be harder to come by over the phone.

Drac

Cheers. Can I just ring up and ask for that?

Nope.

See DrP.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Nope.

See DrP.

I understand that. May not be relevant to the OP but does it make any difference if the patient has signed a Health and Welfare LPA and it’s a named Attorney who’s asking? Assuming the patient’s condition is such that the LPA is in effect.

theboatman
    Free Member

With regard to the LPA H&W then providing your father lacks capacity then yes, you should be treated as if you were your dad.

Drac

What theboatman says but probably not over the phone unless they’ve already met you face to face.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You need to speak to the Registrar or Consultant if you want to get the right answers. The only way that will happen is if you go in though. They will speak over the phone but only after 1-1 meeting.

If he’s having palliative care there should be a plan drawn up, and family should have been involved?

theboatman
    Free Member

You will need to provide proof of the LPA.

richardkennerley

perchypanther

‘s all computermabobs these days innit?

Any of the ward staff with computer access should be able to pull up his records including all the x rays and test results etc.

Nope. Not all trusts have electronic patient records. Still see huge bundles of paper being wheeled from one end of the hospital to t’other all the time. How anyone finds what they’re looking for in them I’ll never know!!

bob_summers

Best way to do it then is probably to pass my questions on to my sis to get them answered I guess? She’s good with the technical stuff being a vet but I think is a bit freaked out by everything. We did talk about POA…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Best way to do it then is probably to pass my questions on to my sis to get them answered I guess?

Yes in the circumstance. As I said though she needs to ask to the Consultant in charge of his care if it’s a direct medical question, not the junior doctor. If it’s a more general question about what happens next the MacMillan nurses tend to be very good.

fossy

You’ve got to be there if the patient doesn’t/can’t relay the information to the family. We’ve had issues finding out what’s going on with MIL many times, as she’s ‘all there mentally’ so they discuss with her, but we don’t get the full information as MIL doesn’t listen to any of it (deliberately). You need to be there when the consultant is there, which is difficult. Your other option is the most senior nurse on shift, as most of the times, wards are manned by HCA’s with two qualified Nurses at any time. If you need to be there, mid morning might be good, after 10am (spent 6 weeks in Spinal myself busted up).

We only got the low down when she was early dying last Feb. She is still here though !

devbrix
    Free Member

Ask to speak to the consultant preferably with your father if you are there and if not then your father can give his consent for the consultant to speak to you. If he is confused and can’t consent then family should be involved with his care anyway under the Mental Capacity Act.

Prepare your questions and don’t be afraid to ask for clarification. The how long question is the one we (I’m a consultant) dread if it doesn’t look imminent as we’re usually crap at predicting it, hence all the ‘the doctor only gave me a couple of months and that was 5 years ago’ type stories.

If it doesn’t happen then you can raise it with the Patient Advice and Liaison service (PALS), all Hospitals have one and contact details should be on the hospital website. If you still don’t get what you need write to/email the CEO – the contact details should again be on the hospital website. Making a reasoned fuss on the ward usually helps.

DrP

Prepare your questions and don’t be afraid to ask for clarification. The how long question is the one we (I’m a consultant) dread if it doesn’t look imminent as we’re usually crap at predicting it, hence all the ‘the doctor only gave me a couple of months and that was 5 years ago’ type stories

😂
    Me and the daughter of a 106 year old used to laugh every time I’d tell her “I think this IS the time….”… The old bird kept going for at least 5 years… Genuinely looking on death’s door for the whole time!

Agreed..!

DrP

Superficial
    Free Member

Confidentiality is taken very seriously – you won’t get any real information from an unsolicited phone call. It’s hard in your position.

What I suggest is you get your dad to say (ideally to his consultant) “I’d like my son to know everything about my condition, please could you call him on 07xxxxxxxxx”. That way it’s all above board in terms of confidentiality.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hospitals – who looks after a patient’s records?’ is closed to new replies.