Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • horrible crash, big thanks to riding mate and A&E
  • iainc

On Saturday, leisurely going round Cathkin, which I ride pretty much weekly, with a mate. On the steepest of the 3 descents, manual off the first drop, land ok….next thing I’m in an ambulance on way to hairmyres. Dunno what happened but think front wheel washed out. I went down hard on my face and was unconscious and blood pissing out. My pal Stuart did a great job of securing area and getting ambulance in. Was fitted with neck brace and had loads of xrays and ct scan before getting moved to monklands plastic surgery unit where they sewed my face together and reset my nose. Home today, can only eat yogurt and porridge but feeling better. Bike is perfect. Prescription specs and helmet totalled.

Could have been sooo much worse :-[

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Ouch. Speedy recovery mate.

Speeder

Well done to your mate and get well soon.

iainc

Aye, for a guy that gets squeamish at the sight of blood he did an amazing job. I think it shook him up big style….

wwaswas

glad to hear you’re mostly ok, seems to happen so easily and 99 times out of 100 we get away with it.

Do make sure you take all the recommended ‘head injury’ precautions. A guy I work with still can’t remember most of July after coming off his bike and hitting his head…

anono

Would it be in bad taste to say “Pics or it didn’t happen”

Either way, all the best for a speedy recovery

stevied
    Free Member

Good work from your mate, recovery vibes for you!

Drac

Heal well and hope they make you good looking.

iainc

Drac – they are surgeons, not magicians 🙂 thanks though !

Drac

Hehehe!

iainc

Anono – wife has forbidden me uploading pics for now 🙂

Sandwich

Upload and blame the drugs? 😈

kcal

oooyabugger /:

glad you’re OK, main thing.

hora
    Free Member

Glad you are ok

Securing area? Did he make sure no one could attack/did a sweep ready for your heli-vac? 😆

wiggles
    Free Member

Ouch. Make sure you send your pics off for injury related prizes in the bike mags

pingu66
    Free Member

Glad you’re ok and a speedy recovery. Hope you heal for your turkey.

matt_outandabout

Heal quick!

murf
    Free Member

Is that the left turn descent from the flat moor section that has 3 different lines varying in difficulty?

Hope you get well soon!

tenfoot

Oof. Get well soon

rOcKeTdOg

I still can’t remember one day in August when I hit my head on the ground at the FoD, very weird sensation.Take your recovery slowly and GWS

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Get well soon.

Just aswell your mate was with you.

pistola
    Free Member

Having seen the pics, I’d call it an improvement. 😉

pistola
    Free Member

It could of course all be an elaborate cover story and you’ve actually been off and had a nose job and facelift…

chakaping
    Free Member

Healing vibes.

Had a similar one in the Alps this summer and was v thankful for my full face helmet.

franksinatra

can only eat yogurt and porridge

WIN!!!!!

iainc

Murf – yes that’s the bit. Pete – I’m not that vain given pain level 😉

Speshpaul

Nasty, i hope you are well and back on the bike soon.

Mates – you got to love em:-) Geoff and Al did a grand job when I bust my leg, and like you say neither of them are very “brave” – sterling work.

number18
    Free Member

Just as well we have mates like that, I did something similar last year!

I was very eager to ride again, although I’ve become much better in the time that has passed I’m still not as quick as I was downhill as a result of my crash and subsequent face-plant!

Good luck with the recovery. Are you off work now then ’til after xmas? I had a week off eating yoghurt and soup and watching Wimbledon!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Sounds nasty, get well soon Iain.

iainc

Thanks for all the good wishes,off work till Mon 23, in for 2 days and then off till 3rd Jan. New helmet ordered today and going to optician fri after I get stitches out to sort out new specs (other thread)

chives
    Free Member

Get well soon. I’m still working through various ongoing problems with the physio after a heavy OTB 10 weeks ago. Take it easy, I went back to work almost immediately, which with hindsight was clearly a bad idea.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Best wishes for a speedy return to the saddle.

Nobby

Ouch!

Hope you heal quickly.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

All the best.

Earlier this year I used my front teeth and a rock to stop myself on a rocky descent. Highly recommend Smash as a easy to make, easy to eat food.

iainc

Smash – great idea 🙂 am getting sick of the sweet stuff so will try that tomorrow, poss mix in some spices and stuff, cheers

rickon
    Free Member

I landed on my face from a 5 foot drop, doing a very similar thing, about 6 months ago.

I was a real mess for about 4 weeks, but look totally normal now. Tiny little scars, that no one can notice.

It’ll hurt, and be a real painful experience for the next couple of weeks, but I’ll improve really quickly. I promise.

Eat what you like,drink what you like (and can).

Be careful of too many painkillers, I had a huge come down when coming off 70mg of codiene for a week.

I was a nervous rider for about 3 to 4 months, and now am back to being normal. So expect to be apprehensive, but I’ll all come back. Just think how long you’ve been riding and how often you done something like this.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

I was a nervous rider for about 3 to 4 months

I am still on this stage after my smash. Its horrible, but everyone I have talked to has said it comes back. Just takes time. Just need to MTFU and show myself not every steep bit is going to make me fall off and hurt myself.

Be careful of too many painkillers, I had a huge come down when coming off 70mg of codiene for a week.

It also bungs you up (poo) 😆

iainc

Thanks for info. Amy trying to reduce pain killers a bit from this evening as been on high dose brufen and cocodamol, which combined with eating challenges is bound to be cementing the bowels…..

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Sounds nasty, I seldom ride alone these days, even on familiar trails. High five your pal for keeping it together. Heal quick.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Wow. Just goes to show you shouldn’t take your local trails which you know so well for granted as I’m sure most of us do.

Get well soon dude!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘horrible crash, big thanks to riding mate and A&E’ is closed to new replies.