Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • horrible crash, big thanks to riding mate and A&E
  • iainc

😛

Its my 8yr old’s bedroom and his wardrobe !

tpbiker
    Free Member

Stuff like this really puts me off biking. Falling off whilst trying to do something beyond your skill level is a risk I can manage, but its when you end up on your face having just been riding as you do all the time that worries me.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

but its when you end up on your face having just been riding as you do all the time that worries me.

^this

I’ve had too many falls this last year or two that were on familiar or unchallenging trails. I’m thankful I’ve not made too much of a mess of myself, but I’m expecting achy problematical joints in my *ahem* later years.

mega
    Free Member

I’m sending healing vibes doode
    We’ve got the same blue lampshade – high five!

Out of interest – for the folks who are saying they landed on their face, anyone ever done that in a full face helmet? Do they provide extra protection in that scenario? I’d imagine a big ‘yes’ but interested to hear any 1st hand experiences.

chakaping
    Free Member

anyone ever done that in a full face helmet? Do they provide extra protection in that scenario?

Yes, landed on my head/face after wheel washed out landing from ladder drop on Megavalanche course.

Had some cuts and bruises to upper body (landed on rocks), sore neck, helmet cracked in several places – but face just as beautiful as ever.

Got my arm broken by some **** in the actual race, but that’s another story.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Glad your healing well, if you pick your scabs remember to feed them to the dog.

Would never have happened on a 650b! 🙂

iainc

Thanks for good wishes. It did make me wonder about full face as I reckon with that I’d have no face damage and same achy nech and chest that I have now. I’d have thought that the loss of ‘the experience’ and the feeling of constriction and sweatiness 99% of the time when its not needed probs not worth it.

My wife may disagree 🙂

ell_tell
    Free Member

Ooof! Hope you’re healing well and were quite lucky by the sounds of it.

I had the same sort of accident in June and my inuries looked identical to yours. Did you break your nose or just fracture it? Mine was just a fracture but they didn’t reset it and its a little crooked now 🙁

Did they give you eye ointment gel too?

iainc

Ell-tell, yes nose broken and they have reset. The eye ointment stuff that you spread all over the wounds to keep them moist ? Yes, loads of it ! Stitches come out Fri which I think is going to nip a bit. Out of interest, how long did it take for the soggy scabs to go ?

funkrodent

Crikey! Glad you’re recovering well. Had a bad smash, going at speed on the Edale Loop. Managed to cut, bruise and batter the whole right side of my body but somehow missed the face. Only thing that stopped me going into shock was a bottle of lucozade sport downed quick time. Few weeks later OTB’ed on a drop and lost a tooth for my trouble. Subsequently started riding in my Alpine full face (and going a lot slower), but in truth it’s not practical and soon reverted to the standard helmet. Keep thinking I’ll get a mouthguard at the very least, but then I’ve got to remove and store my denture somewhere 😯 . Recently did Jacob’s again on my new bike and happy to say that I seem to have regained most of the speed that I had lost 🙂

Hope the recovery continues to go well

TiRed

My Eyes 😯 That up lighter… Hope you are feeling better soon and get your riding glasses sorted. Rule 64 – not just for roadies 😉

iainc

BoardinBob – Member
    Jeebus!

So was this on the three drop section near the start at the wind turbine? I’ll be riding round that for the foreseeable!

Bob, no later than that, after you come up the steep alpine switchback style climb and across the flat section you have a left turn descent with 3 options, I was on the inner line with the 2 rock drops

Bunnyhop

Nice to see you are healing up nicely and hope it continues.

I too landed on my face back in August (not from a bike though), ended up with cuts from glasses, broken nose and arm and many facial bruises. My face took a couple of weeks to seem normal but my arm is still on going.

Hope you can get back on the bike very soon.

Pigface
    Free Member

You will have a great story to tell, get better soon.

In your hospital photos you look well out of it, much better in the photo above.

Back on the bike and ride the bit that bit you again, just to show it who the boss is.

penguinni

Are you absolutely certain the Soul is ok? 😉

Help fast and well.

P

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

piedi di formaggio – Member
    Yikes! That was a proper mess!

I know! That blue paint! That lightshade! Shocking!

😉

iainc

Penguinni – yes, washed it and looked over in daylight. I think it landed on me 🙂

….and my 8yr old thinks his room’s awesome 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

His room?

HIS?

Oh dear…

😉

binners

OOF! That looks like it bloody hurt! I can empathise. I did the same myself a few years back. Getting your face stitched up is a bizarre experience, isn’t it? Heres me straight after after my face plant….

OW!!!!! by binlidski, on Flickr

That was immediately after I did it, and was still giddily concussed. I wasn’t smiling for long. Again I have someone sensible to thank (waves to Paul) for calming me down, and getting me back to civilisation, and into hospital. Looks like I got off lightly compared to you though.

It does slow you down when you get back on the bike, thats for sure

iainc

LOL@CFH 😛

He does break dancing as a hobby though 🙂

ell_tell
    Free Member

The eye ointment stuff that you spread all over the wounds to keep them moist ? Thats the stuff. I think it also acts as an antiseptic as no doubt you had a face full of dirt which they can’t be certain of cleaning.

Out of interest, how long did it take for the soggy scabs to go ?

I had quite a bit of stitching and different types too (dissolvable whiite ones and blue ones to be removed) and like you a lot of scabbing. Being my face I wanted to minimise the potential for scarring so was quite astute in following the surgeons advice and resisted the urge to pick! After 2 weeks of the eye ointment I just used vaseline twice a day and in time the scabs eventually came off of their own accord. If I recall that was about 4 weeks post accident.

iainc

ell_tell – many thanks, useful info

downshep

Healing well Mr C. Massive difference from Saturday. Is your new helmet likely to be a Met Parachute style with chinguard? Cratoni C Maniac and Casco Viper MX spring to mind.

rickt
    Free Member

Ouch… Wish you a quick recovery!!

iainc

Face coming along well, external stitches out yesterday and had a shave this am so looking much more civilised. Weirdly though the aches and pains, neck, headache have been really bad last few days and made the error other day of not keeping food and fluids topped up. That combined with big dose of 2 no 30/500 cocodamol 4 times a day led to zombie state. Now onto over the counter 8/500 three times a day and almost off the brufen.

Hoping to keep on at the veg soup and omelette and will shortly warn SEPA that the sewerage system, which hasn’t known me now in 7 days, may be getting an abnormal load soon 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Healing vibes to you, n-a-s-t-y

Full face helmet next time.

chiefgrooveguru

Ouch, that looks painful! I had a big crash back in July (you may have seen the video of me losing all my ability to ride a bike exactly when I needed it…) and the full-face did a great job. I landed on my head vertically so hard that I suspect I’d have destroyed a trail helmet and I then bounced/tumbled down a steep rough landing suffering more injuries – but at least my head was safe in the full-face. My ribs still hurt from landing to flat on my Camelbak with such force but I’m hopeful I’ll eventually get back to normal.

I do think it’s improved my mindset and decision-making with respect to risk management on the trails – and since then my mates have been crashing less badly too, which is nice. Not a fan of larger drops to downslopes still though – even though I’ll land them to flat.

Get well soon!

iainc

Thanks, aye, sorer after a week than I thought and zero energy, still a bit wobbly, and that’s on feet, not tyres.

Think it will be another week till back on a bike..

nosaintangel
    Free Member

well done Stuart..
    get well, and back on the bike soon mate.

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘horrible crash, big thanks to riding mate and A&E’ is closed to new replies.