Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Hope XC freehubs – where are you!?
  • finbar
    Free Member

I have been searching for months – months! – for a Hope XC freehub, to revive my commuter wheels.

I believe an old-style Hope Mono or Ti-glide freehub will fit also.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Got a pic? I may have one.

tomhoward

Have you asked Hope?

nixie

Try on retrobike if you haven’t already.

What is dead on the existing one?

finbar
    Free Member

I did try a wanted ad on Retrobike but no-one seemed to have one unfortunately. I haven’t asked Hope but as none are for sale new anywhere, and they’re not listed on their website, it seems unlikely. (They were less than helpful when I asked about spares for an old Hope Enduro headset a few years ago…)

What is dead on the existing one?

It doesn’t exist (and therein lies the problem). I have the wheel, with axle but sans freehub – sadly lost in the mists of time… 🙁

Got a pic? I may have one.

If you could have a look please @mattsccm that would be very kind. It’s the 3-pawl design with tiny coil springs for the pawls, e.g.: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-mono-xc-freehub-body/rp-prod155

mattsccm
    Free Member

sorry. Thats not it.

nixie

Ah that sucks. If it had been pawls I might have had some floating around but don’t have the while thing.

oldnpastit

You could swap the hub. If you can find one with the same or very similar dimensions you can keep the old spoked.

It’s more time consuming than swapping rims but not impossible.

andrewh
    Free Member

Long shot but….
    I have one. You can’t have it, I need it, but I won’t be using that bike again until spring so if anyone on here has (access to) a CNC machine and could copy an existing one you could borrow it for a bit to make a copy. It may be cheaper to buy a new hub though…

deft
    Free Member

I may have one lurking in the garage, will be able to check this weekend before you go down the wheel rebuild route!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Tbh you’re probably better getting another XC as a donor I sold one (that I regretted as I immediately needed it) to someone who wanted to replace their 7 speed freehub. I think @dyna-ti had bits at one point but I’m pretty sure they were sold long ago.

Check the drawings on the hope support section, a freehub from a mono, bulb or big ‘un may be a fit. If they do then the 5 bolt screw on adaptor types go cheap on ebay for obvious reasons.

nbt

I have one that has the race from a collapsed bearing stuck inside it. You can have that if you can lay your hands on a blind bearing puller

dyna-ti

For an XC freehub, either mono,sport,ti-glide will fit. Bulb and big un are wider and dont fit.

There is honestly not a lot can go wrong with them. Any play would usually be down to bearings or even a bent axle. There should also be a spacer sits in the inside recess between the back of the freehub and the main bearing in the hub- Check to see that is there.
    I’ve checked my box and only got a couple of slightly damaged bulb freehubs sorry to say, as above with S/King i sold pretty much all the saleable hope bits to pay for the ebike.

I also see your wanted ad was posted Feb, so maybe give it a bump. RB’s a bit quiet these days and not everyone comes in daily.

In all honesty I would look to see if its something other than the freehub itself. As said, not a lot can wear with them,and there is a very slight wobble normally, and I couldnt say they are as play free as todays Hope freehubs.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@dyna-ti haha, knew you would bring the knowledge. And yeah, they don’t randomly fall off like my Pro2 does (or did, it hasn’t done that for a while, maybe I should be worried).

FieldMarshall

I have one you can have. Complete with 3 tiny coil springs and pawls.

Bearings still seem ok.

The hub is shot. So it’s no use to me anymore.

finbar
    Free Member

Yessss 🙂 !

Sorry for lack of replies, I just spotted this thread reappeared (I forgot to turn on notifications) and thought it had sunk without much trace, but anyway that’s amazing @FieldMarshall, thank you very much. I will message you.

Thanks also everyone else for ideas, offers and suggestions.

Great knowledge @dyna-ti, I’d forgotten about the Hope Sport hubs and that tip on the spacer is a good one to bear in mind when I rebuild.

Now I can get rid of the horrendous grumbly Fulcrum wheel I’ve been using as a stand-in.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Hope XC freehubs – where are you!?’ is closed to new replies.