Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hope SS vs Pro Evo for singlespeeding
  • mbqwerty
    Free Member

Is there any big advantage to the hope singlespeed hub over the pro evo for singlespeeding duties. Obviously the pro evo can be run geared on single which keeps the versatility up, but can it hold up well enough to the chain tension? Apart from the engagement points, are there any other key difference that are worth the weight penalty and lack of versaility? (and compatibility!)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Steel freehub on the ss is more tollerant of single cogs , how ever ive run on one armada wide bottom cogs on my pro 3s and evos

lerk
    Free Member

Surely if you were building a SS wheel you’d take advantage of the more symmetrical wheelbuild by not having a sodding great freehub on the driveside???

mbqwerty
    Free Member

In terms of wheel strength would it make it a lot stronger then? My old single used a bmx-style screw on freehub that was great with a track chain but can’t seem to find many of those around!

everyone
    Free Member

I use a normal freehub so that I can swap wheels over if I want.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Yes a SS specific hub is stronger as is more aligned.

nemesis
    Free Member

lerk – Member
    Surely if you were building a SS wheel you’d take advantage of the more symmetrical wheelbuild by not having a sodding great freehub on the driveside???

I wouldn’t – I’d rather have a wheel that can be used for other bikes if necessary. IMO the ‘benefit’ of a less dished wheel if you have a SS specific hub is massively overstated – standard wheels aren’t regularly folding because they’re not up to the job.

SS specific ones look neat though.

spawnofyorkshire

Dear god the noise of the SS hub drove me mental when i rode my bro-in-laws. I was pedalling just to shut up the clicking

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

True but there are limited ss hubs out there.

kerley
    Free Member

Not sure about the advantages but the disadvantage for me is that they weigh quite a bit more.

I use wide base cogs that don’t dig into alloy free hub bodies so don’t need the weight of steel.
    Also agree about the strength of the wheels, I have never bent a back wheel when doing single speed stuff that was down to the less than symmetrical hub…

Gotama
    Free Member

Used a normal pro2 hope freehub hub for SS with no issue. Plus the new ones are noticeably faster on engagement if that bothers you. Basically get a SS specific hub if you want the posing points and aesthetic benefit, otherwise a normal freehub will do the job perfectly and give you flexibility should your desires change.

TiRed

Normal Pro hub here with 17T and 15T Surley sprockets means that you can change gear in a phenotypic way (any bigger difference is hard to accommodate in chain length). Considered a SS hub, but decided I might want to use the wheels in other bikes – I haven’t but do have the option.

jameso

IMO the ‘benefit’ of a less dished wheel if you have a SS specific hub is massively overstated – standard wheels aren’t regularly folding because they’re not up to the job.

It’s a very minor benefit or a non-issue compared to wheel swappability for some, for others who only want a SS wheel, particularly a 29″ one, non-dished is a better way to make a wheel so why not. Assuming the wheelbuilder makes a good job of it of course.

Clobber
    Free Member

Couple more bearings in the ss hub to support the freehub as well

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hope SS vs Pro Evo for singlespeeding’ is closed to new replies.