Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Using Garmin Edge with OS X 10.6.8 and synching with Strava
  • jamesfts
    Free Member

I’ve recently given a Garmin to a friend who is trying to connect and synch with Strava via OS 10.6.8 and is struggling.

As far as I’m aware Garmin has stopped supporting such an old os but have also read that it may be possible to do this either manually or using some older software.

Updating the OS would be the easiest solution but is apparently a no-no as last time they tried to do that they somehow screwed their machine up.

Does anyone have any experience with the above combination and if so how did you go about it?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

just upload from file, OSX sees the Garmin as a mass storage device, just browse to the activities folder and select the ride, takes 30 seconds tops

mav12
    Free Member

have you tried garmin express it syncs automaticly as soon as i plug the garmin in but i am on the latest osx so dont know if that makes a difference, i think you can also go into the garmin and find the file and drag it to the mac then upload manually

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 to what dirtyrider says.

All the other sync methods are just wrappers on top of this and are for convenience.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, I thought it should be doable manually but he’s saying it doesn’t show up when connected – I’m guessing it may need the drivers updating/installing.

tom.nash

I got so fed up of Garmin, the poor interface and useless Garmin Connect I bought a TomTom Multi-Sport GPS watch; brilliant. Very simple, seems very accurate even in dense woods, is slim on the wrist and uploads to a very easy-to-use TomTom software that you can link to Strava. Within 30 seconds of connecting to my MacBook all my latest rides have appeared on Strava!!

Bye bye Garmin

whitestone
    Free Member

First thing – be methodical, check one thing at a time.

In the SAME USB port plug in a USB memory stick. Does it appear in Finder?

The cable may be broken so try a different USB cable to connect the Garmin to the machine, again using the SAME USB port.

Try the Garmin on a different machine, if it doesn’t appear then it’s likely that this is the fault.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Which mode of Edge? The 205 and 305 don’t automatically go into mass storage mode (which you will need for it to be recognised as a drive).

http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B1e363b70-fed6-11dd-ffba-000000000000%7D

jamesfts
    Free Member

It is an Edge 205 I believe – this could be the reason it’s not showing up…

Just having a wade back through what I used when I had the unit – could this have been it?

Communicator Plugin for Mac

benji
    Free Member

Strava is about to pull the support for the plugin as the plugin framework is not supported in a lot of modern browsers, this means those with older macs can’t upgrade the os any futher as it’s not compatible with there machine, and neither can they upgrade the browser as they are incompatible with the older os.

Superficial
    Free Member

For some things to appear in finder, you still need to install drivers even if you don’t use the software layer. This may be the issue of the above doesn’t solve it.

10.6 isn’t very old so is be surprised if you couldn’t find drivers somewhere.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Using Garmin Edge with OS X 10.6.8 and synching with Strava’ is closed to new replies.