Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hope Singlespeed hub – how tight?
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Hope hub in track ends, how tight do you do the 8mm bolts up? As far as i can tell from the Hope exploded diagram for the hub the load will be placed on the end caps and then the axle so by cranking it up tight i am not excessively loading the bearings. So on that basis i can errr on the side of tight to avoid any unwanted movement in the rear wheel. By tight i mean using a normal size allen key, not a three foot monster. Wheel is on a bike that is likely to case jumps with regularity (bikes fault, not the riders) and go through some reasonably rough terrain at a fair pace hence why i am keen to get it tight.

ajantom

As tight as you can, then a grunt more.
    Mine has always moved a little over time however tight I’ve done it up.

Gotama
    Free Member

Think a bit more grunt then. Wanted to be sure i wasn’t squashing the bearings.

ajantom

Yeah, all the force is on the bolts and axle.

Klunk
    Free Member

i put “proper” bolts in mine and carry a 17mm ring spanner, not because of slippage but the original hex bolt were made of cheese and doing the above was not recommended.

TiRed

I switched to a normal Hope hub with QR and spacers for SS with two Surly cogs for gear choice (not moving obviously). But I ride a bike (Genesis ioid) with rear facing bolts to provide tension in the drop outs. Wheels have never moved. To drop the wheel out I can remove the skewer. By contrast my fixed wheel road bikes all have track nuts cranked up tight and I carry a sawn off spanner.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Hope Singlespeed hub – how tight?’ is closed to new replies.