Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Hope seat clamps
  • Helios
    Free Member

I've broken two now…

If I don't do it tight enough the post slips… But then if you over do it by a teeny tiny fraction… Well…

Today (having not changed anything from last time I took the post out) it shattered in my hands as I did it up…

I've just looked back over a couple of previous forum topics and some people seem to love them to bits… Has anyone else had the same experience as me?

tragically1969
    Free Member

I dont like em either

I need to find a nice replacement, is yours in a smaller size by any chance, i just wonder if the cam action becomes less effective in the smaller sizes ?

matthewlhome
    Free Member

mine seems to work ok. i do it up tight on the qr then twist it a bit like on an old skool ringle.
    however, i just got a chromag qr collar for my other bike and it is a milion times better. probably simply due to the really long qr lever on it.

simon1975

Sent my new style one back to Hope and they replaced it straight away. 30mm size.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I agree and I'm also getting pissed off with their skewers which are either too loose or impossible to tighten.

I know it's heresy but I was glad to ditch my hope brakes too.

scruff
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40622

Worth the £ is you have had enough of Hope and Salsa.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

scruff – that's what i just got. clamps lots better than the hope.

Jase_MK
    Free Member

I just put a Hope QR on my seatpost recently. What's the advice then, are you saying be careful not to overtighten it?

tragically1969
    Free Member

😯 £32 for a seat clamp ?

oldfart

Bizzarely i couldn't get the bolted version to hold my post so had to get a q/ r !

uplink
    Free Member

I've never had a jot of trouble with Hope seat clamps in years of use on many bikes – I don't have the new type mind

Never was fond of the skewers though

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Had no problems with mine in almost 2 years. Occasional bit of oil/grease on the area where the cam rubs and its perfect

.duncan
    Free Member

Fraction of the cost and i haven't had any issues yet – http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15692

Helios
    Free Member

Well… At least I'm not the only one…

Mine's 31.8mm – so not the smallest size they do, I've managed to shear through the bolt both times without putting a huge amount of pressure on it (as I said – I hadn't adjusted it since last time the post came out and so can't figure out how it failed this time as opposed to last time i did it up…)

It was 3 years old in all fairness… But I'd still think it should last a bit longer…

I'm considering going back to a bolted clamp like I use on my single speed… But in a triumph of Hope over experience (see what I did there?) I might give them one more go with the new design…

br
    Free Member

try lubricating the cam now and again?

tragically1969
    Free Member

Yup do that fairly regular that, there just seems to be very little tolerance between slipping and overclamping

Helios
    Free Member

tragically1969 – Member

Yup do that fairly regular that, there just seems to be very little tolerance between slipping and overclamping

I do the same – but even then, I don't see how a bit of lube on the cam is going to stop the bolt shearing off…

HansRey

i've got a dirt cheap £4 alu jobby from LBS. Does the trick, negligible weight difference and it's reliable, lasted me a year with no slip. Why buy hope/salsa, except for the bling?

neilnevill
    Free Member

I've had same experience, had a post that kept slipping unless clamp was uber tight, then one day snapped one tab clean off the hope clamp as I tightened it. I went to salsa then….and promptly snapped the bolt in that. replaced the bolt with a high tension one but cured the problem by….making a coke can shim. Postwas nominally the correct size but did seem a tiny fraction loose so I cut a section of cok can up and made a small shim, bent the top of it over the seat tube top and tuck it neatly under the seatclamp so it is held in place. Seat post now doesn't slip and the clamp doesn't need to be so absurdly tight. Voila, no more problems (well, not for a while anyway…fingers crossed)

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

It's the bling innit. Matches my red Hope headset, piston caps and brake levers

naokfreek
    Free Member

Used one for 5 years, no props at all. Would happily buy another. Which i will do soon, as have gone up clamp sizes.

clubber
    Free Member

It entirely depends on your frame and seatpost whether they'll work or if you need one that can be done up tighter. On some of
    my bikes, they've worked perfectly while on others I've had to change to other bolt up ones to stop them slipping.

billyboy
    Free Member

Same problem. Hope QR seatclamp. Climbed out of Minehead, experienced seatpost slippage, tightened seatclamp….crack, bust seatclamp..all the way back down into Minehead……. bought new seatclamp, climb all the way out of Minehead again.
    Not impressed. It ain't as if they are cheap!

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Jeez people! £30+ for a frigging seat clamp. Still its your money….

Gordymac
    Free Member

Hmm im running a new style Hope 30mm and to start with the post a 27.2 Raceface Evolve kept sliding down so instead of raxxing the clamp up tighter i used some Pace carbon grease that i have and voila it doesn't slip anymore with the clamp still at the original position/ clamping force. I now use the Pace carbon grease on all my alloy seatposts ;o)

Gordymac

taka
    Free Member

ive got 2 an old one which is working well and a new one which broke last week into 3 pices

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Paid £18 for my Hope qr & it's the first one for ages thats actually kept the seatpost still! Love mine.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Hope seat clamps’ is closed to new replies.