Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hope reservoir cap screws overtightened, options?
  • kimbers

So….
    Got a bargain tech3 lever on eBay to pair with the left one I bought ages ago

Turns out not such a bargain, reservoir cap screws are immovable.

The torx are almost rounded I’ve hacksawed a slot for a flathead but no joy.

I’m picking up an impact driver (the hit with a hammer type) tomorrow

I can try & saw thru the cap but not sure my lbs will have a replacement & probably a seal b4 a ride on Wednesday.

So chuck it in the freezer, would that help?, Heat ?

oldnpastit

Easy out? A very small one?

scaredypants

Do you know what everything’s made of? If the screws are steel and the threads alu then maybe heat would help loosen the threads (though if the cap is also alu it might actually put more pressure on the screw when it expands). Try heat and then if no good then try cold, maybe that ‘cycle’ will free something up anyway.
    or drill off the heads so you can just lift off the cap, then hope that there’s enough “stud” to get a grip on.
    I guess it’s too late to send it back 🙁

teethgrinder

Might have to sacrifice the top cap, but can you file flats on the sides to get mole grips onto them?

andyl
    Free Member

anywhere near Bristol/Mendips as I’m sure I have some spare tech 3 caps and seals somewhere.

Has anyone else found the top caps are sometimes very hard to remove on new ones from the factory?

singlespeedstu

Easy out? A very small one

Best of luck trying to drill a pilot hole in a stainless bolt that small before you even find an easy out to fit in there.
    Best option is drill the head off remove the cap and get some grips on what’s left of the stud.

ajantom

Best option is drill the head off remove the cap and get some grips on what’s left of the stud.

^this. Though he prepared to have to replace the top cap too. The bolts are diddy, so easy for the drill bit to slip.

austy
    Free Member

How about fitting the lever and turning the bike/brakes upside down and bleeding from the caliper until you can get a new top cap and screws.

drnosh
    Free Member

Impact driver……noooo

You will probably end up distorting the whole body of the reservoir.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Only if you do it wrong.

Great tools if used right.

I certainly wouldn’t be doing it on a bike and it would require a home made support jig for the lever body and a vice. But it would save me paying to replace parts.

I think if I’d got as far as the op has though I’d follow ssstus advice…..

montgomery
    Free Member

Could be worth contacting Hope before going any further. I had an issue with a C2 lever BITD, can’t remember what exactly but something was stuck or stripped. They told me to send it to them and they did a rebuild for a nominal sum. Always worth asking, even if it’s just “what would Hope do…?”

kimbers

Its the update youve all been waiting for………..

with the help of £14 impact driver from screwfix both screws came away!

brakes bled, bike ready

hopefully get 6 hours sleep b4 I have to leave for Afan tomorrow!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Very under rated those impact drivers.

Love mine would replace in a heart beat if it broke.

weeksy

Nice job OP 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hope reservoir cap screws overtightened, options?’ is closed to new replies.