Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hope hubs, bearing feel
  • ampthill

Just a recieved a wheel in the post. Its second hand and unused. Condition indicates it really never has been used.

But the wheel bearing don’t feel great. If I spin the wheel and hold the axle it has a slight notchy feels. A sort of slight increase in friction then release.

It won’t be noticable once the wheels on but is this normal for new cartridge bearing? Will they bed in?

globalti
    Free Member

There will always be “stiction” in the seal, if that’s what you mean.

As long as the bearing turns smoothly without roughness or play that’s fine. If it is rough, it’s no train smash; just remove the bearings and take them to a local bearing stockist for a match. Alternatively your Hope dealer can fit new without the butchery you will need to undertake.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Evo?

I’ve seen a pair returned to hope due to an incorrectly machined axles. Felt just like you describe.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

notchy? Knackered bearings IMO

jonk

The bearings will be slow moving because of the seals but not notchy if they have never been used.

ampthill

Oh I’m stuck now. There is a notchy ness beyond the seals dragging, you can feel a few positions where the axle is slightly keener to sit

But its obvious that the wheel has never been ridden

Thinking aloud

I paid 87 plus 10 for the wheel (hope hube and mavic 819) unused. It camewith an unused michelin wild gripper UST and an unused sram 990 11-32 cassette. I’ll get something for the casette and tyre so even if i new bearings I don’t feel I’ve done too badly. So at the moment I feel like seeing if a ride helps bed things in….

globalti
    Free Member

Stop worrying about it and just get riding. Those bearings are very robust though once water and mud get in they will wear fast. You can carry on riding with a fair bit of slack in the bearings, nothing’s going to happen.

It’s a bit like the old Land Rover doctrine on transmission noise: “Keep driving the vehicle until the noise becomes unbearable for the operator. At this point, consider an overhaul”.

ruscle
    Free Member

I agree with globalti, just ride the wheel till the bearing stops turning. Do you think you will notice a slight notchy feeling when riding on rough ground?!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I recently bought some new Hope bearings to rebuild my rear hub. Of the two main axle bearings one had no grease in and the other had very little.

IIRC the bearings site pretty flush with the outside of the hub so without removing them you could gently lever the outside seal off and check if there is any grease in there. Tip of a Stanley does the job nicely

ampthill

I feel better already

Just ride it and then worry about bearings when I have areal problem with them, cheers

Might look at grease but use will mean that I can’t dend them back and I need to stop wondering about that

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I paid 87 plus 10 for the wheel (hope hube and mavic 819) unused. It camewith an unused michelin wild gripper UST and an unused sram 990 11-32 cassette

You jammy dodger! You’ve had a right bang result and no mistake!

Just ride the flippin’ thing. New bearings often have a slight ‘gritchiness’ IME, this soon goes after a couple of rides. And if it does go, then it’s simple enough to swap the bearings over.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

as others have said, you got a bargain, you can easily lift the seals and regrease the outer bearings without dismantling the hub (just take end caps off), then ride it. Worst case scenario you need to pay a few quid for a new bearing (it’ll only be one giving the notchy feel).

Its about to explode and it will kill you. I’ll give you a tenner for it, for your own safety.

kaesae
    Free Member

I would use a needle or a pin to leverage out the seals, a lot better than a blade!

I will try and do some kind of guide for greasing up bearings later on if I can find the time.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

1) lift seal carefully with pin
    2) add grease
    3) replace seal

HTH

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hope hubs, bearing feel’ is closed to new replies.