Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Kinesis Decade Virsa Frame Cracked
  • Nipper99
    Free Member

My virsa frame has cracked around the bottom of the seatpost front slot (from the outer / widest part of the round hole at the bottom of the slot). Frame about 10 months old so am guessing it will be replaced under warranty. This happened to anyone else? Much p###ed off.

gee
    Free Member

Which seat post? Overtightened clamp? How much post sticking out? I had that happen on one frame after a couple of years and couldn’t attribute it to any of these, so random failure is possible.

boxfish
    Free Member

Hmmm, that’s annoying. I think I’ll check mine in the morning then.

Chris-S
    Free Member

Yep!

I got one of those – no obvious explanation!

Ridden the bike loads with and since noticing it.

I plan to chop it off and get it re slotted when and if it eventually go’s.

Nipper99
    Free Member

27.2 / 400 seatpost. 28.6 Hope q/r seat clamp so not overtightened. About 1/3 of the post in the frame – well above the min mark. All this should be ok?

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I know 2 people with those frames, both cracked (although not sure where), sounds like there has been a problem somewhere along the line! At least it is still under warranty.

Nipper99
    Free Member

what are Kinesis like on warranty – am i going to be bikeless for weeks?

damo2576
    Free Member

I’d imagine all these small producers need to be pretty swift on warranty

allyharp

I’d imagine all these small producers need to be pretty swift on warranty

Kinesis are about as far from a small producer as possible! They just tend to build bikes for other brands, rather than under their own name.

But still, we should be hoping for a positive response from them.

bigsi
    Free Member

Dom at Decade is a top bloke so would imagine it will get sorted quickly for you.

Good luck

Nipper99
    Free Member

fingers crossed that Decade will come good then.

kiwijohn

It’s predecessor the DMR Switchback suffered the same problem. Still riding mine, cracks & all.

PJay
    Free Member

I looked at the Decade Virsa and someone on here pointed out that a 27.2mm post with a 28.6 clamp leaves a very thin walled tube. As a heavier ride I gave it a miss. My Pipedream Sirius takes a 27.2mm post but needs a 29.8/30mm clamp which would be the same as the other 2 steel frames I’ve ridden. May not have anything to do with it though.

bol

I have a feeling it might be a feature of frames with dropped top tubes (lots of seat tube above the top tube join) and front-facing slots. I’ve had the same thing happen on a similarly designed frame, with tones of post in the frame and no abuse. I think it is why Brant puts the slots on the back on Ragleys.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Having looked a bit closer and checking the seatpost tube on my Singular Gryphon frame i think they have reamed out too much metal on the Virsa seatpost tube. 27.2 Easton seat post nice interference fit on the Gryphon but a couple of thou of play on the Virsa so see-sawing on the top of the seatpost tube by the clamp hence the cracking.

bol

I think that the fore and arft movement on the long, front-slotted tube might cause them to stretch and then crack, rather than be the wrong diameter to start with.

Nipper99
    Free Member

seems to be play all the way down, past the slot, below the point at which the top tube joins the seat post tube!

Nipper99
    Free Member

new frame received within the week from Upgrade. New version of the versa out soon apparently with beefed up seat tube.

parkesie
    Free Member

Not cracked mine (runs off to check). Mines an early one stickered up virtue. is a very thin walled seat tube.

themanfromdelmonte
    Free Member

I’ve just built one of these up. Think I might invest in a double bolt seat clamp to spread the load a bit. Anyone tried this already?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Further to PJay’s comments. I have an earlier, badged a Virtue, model. The seat tube is very thin wall. I spoke to the guys at Kenesis about getting a QR seat clamp as I found that their standard type for this diameter seat tube actually grips the seatpost before it clamps the frame. Kenesis machine out their QR seat clamps specially to suit this frame alone and they tell me that no other will suit, due to clamping the seat post etc.
    I am running a Thompsen 27.2 seat post and it fits like a finger in a bum (MOD engineering term for limits and fits, does not appear in your Zues book).

parkesie
    Free Member

I spoke to early my seat tube slot just split 🙁 back to kinessis it goes then.

Nipper99
    Free Member

parksie, you might be able to get one of the new beefed up versions by now.

parkesie
    Free Member

Will see what happens will post up the outcome. Already got an itch to look for a new frame in the mean time 🙂

luckydog
    Free Member

mine’s just cracked too: two splits either side of the slot, about an inch in length. Plus a 2″ crack further down the seat tube on one side only, going past the top tube weld: just thought it was a crack in paint until I removed the post and saw daylight. Is it just a one year warranty on these? pity, its a great ride!

parkesie
    Free Member

New frame is on its way 🙂

PJay
    Free Member

It’s a 3 year warranty according to the Kinesis site (I assume this applies to the Decade range) and it does sound likes it’s a design issue so I’d get in touch.

parkesie
    Free Member

My lbs sent my frame back last week a replacement is on its way under warranty big thanks to the guys at east street cycles.

boxfish
    Free Member

Another cracked frame by seat tube slot. Spotted today. Frame 18 months old. Already spoken to LBS and will be dropping off frame at the weekend. Hope the replacement is the beefed up version. This frame has been used mostly for commuting and has been off-road less than 20 times.

donks
    Free Member

Yes, mine too. I’m on the second one now and have just ten minutes ago stripped the frame down stuck it in a box and am sending it to upgrade bikes tomorrow. Apparently they have just taken a delivery of rectified Decades with a thicker seat tube so hopefully all sorted. Apart from this its been very good. The pain in the arse is having to do without it for a week and also getting the damn headset out. I was wondering when someone would pipe up with this post.

parkesie
    Free Member

Got my replacement frame has disc brake tabs semi integrated headset and amazingly a thicker gauge seat tube 🙂

donks
    Free Member

Just built my replacement frame up today. Went for a black one this time. All looks good so far, although I had to obtain a headset shim from the LBS as they forgot too send one out with the integrated headset. Nice thick seat tube now though, and the disc brake slots seem to make a difference now as I can get the wheel off without taking the brake off and I have now done away with some washers that were spacing the caliper.
    Just need to get it out for a thrashing now.

boxfish
    Free Member

Picked up my replacement frame yesterday. No green ones left so plumped for black rather then wait 6 weeks. Didn’t realise that the new head tube was oversized. There goes another £60 for the headset!

luckydog
    Free Member

picked my new warranty replacement frame up today: very nice-looks beefier especially that oversized headtube(out with the old hope-in with the new cane creek!)and that new disc brake tab much better.
    Thanks to blazing saddles for sorting that out-running a p7 as a singlespped whilst waiting was a right pain in the…anyone want a dmr chain tensioner, hardly used? p7 frame, used more?

anyway, just need to build and ride

inkster
    Free Member

Seat-tube is very thin indeed, I bought the specially designed ‘decade’ quick release when I got the frame, seems there was a dodgy batch as it gripped the seatpost before the tube.

Phoned upgrade and they went and checked if their stock of the special ‘decade’qr’s would fit a 27.2 post and they found it wouldn’t, They reamed a qr to fit and sent it out for free.

The modified qr has a really narrow lip [the bit sits at top of seat-tube] so it seems that it’s not just that its a thin seat-tube that’s the problem, it’s also the issue of getting a qr that will clamp up tight enough before touching the seatpost.

parkesie
    Free Member

Replacement frame rebuilt as a bit of a frankenbike.
    Best bis that the wife built it 🙂

daveagiles
    Free Member

Same happened to me, got new frame through within a week.

Great service and looking at the changes made to the frame it would seem that they have really taken on board the feedback from version 1.

Well done to Kinesis I say.

neilogue
    Free Member

I’ve had the exact same problem, a crack around the top of the seat tube. But I’ve had a pretty woeful experience since returning the frame. It’s been 4 months and the bike shop have done very little about it other than give me the contact details for their supplier (Dirtworks). Apparently it’s beyond them to deal with themselves.

Dirtworks are dealing with Upgrade in the UK. It’s taken 3 weeks even to get an email response and still there’s no resolution in sight. Dirtworks have even tried getting in contact with the factory in Taiwan. Is Australia a continent too far or something?

wwaswas

Email the three names on this link http://kinesisdecade.co.uk/contact.php at Upgrade in the UK – I’m sure they’ll be able to help you out.

Does seem odd that your local importer can’t get it sorted though.

neilogue
    Free Member

Thanks mate. I’ll try those contacts. I’ve now learned that Dirt Works Australia, though liaising with Upgrade, have actually been sourcing frames direct from the manufacturer in Taiwan so I’m not sure how much Upgrade will be able to help as it’s the factory that’s proving unresponsive.

Whenever I talk to the guy at Dirt Works about what’s happening the whole thing sounds confusing. Ultimately the responsibility rests with the bike shop I originally bought the frame from and I’m sad to say it’s starting to look like I may have to tell them to give me my money back and buy a new frame from someone else. This is a real shame because up until the crack developed, I found the frame was ideal.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Kinesis Decade Virsa Frame Cracked’ is closed to new replies.