Home Forums Bike Forum Hope fortus 30 replacement rims

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Hope fortus 30 replacement rims
  • ac505
    Free Member

I can’t find any, purchased a pro 5 27.5 rear wheel a couple of weeks ago, lasted 4 runs at Fort William before it was taco’s courtesy of son chasing PB’s

i can’t find anywhere that sells the fortus 30 triple cavity rim, all the single rims are the lightweight single cavity.
    has anybody stumbled across the triple cavity 27.5 /32 hope rim for sale?

pothead
    Free Member

Fortus 30w Rims

Personally I’d be looking at other brands (DT Swiss) if it only lasted 4 runs

hatter

If your nipper managed to crump it in 4 runs I’d gently suggest replacing it with a readily available aftermarket rim so that the next time he does it you won’t need to hunt around.

Even it costs you new spokes it should save faff and money down the road.

bensales
    Free Member

Four runs on a two week old wheel? Sounds not fit for purpose to me, especially for a 300 quid wheel.

pothead
    Free Member

DT Swiss EX 511 Rim

Cheaper than Hope

airvent
    Free Member

Next time run some inserts like cushcore.

ac505
    Free Member

He was running inserts but thanks for the friendly advice.

i just built up a DT511 rim, unfortunately the weld on the rim was so crap, air bleeds past the tape. And yes I figured that out after building the wheel and fighting to put inserts in (twice).

hatter

The weld should have no bearing on air retention as the tyre should seal against the tape, not the rim, hence why you can run pinned or sleeved rims tubeless.

Which tape did you use and was it 32mm wide?

joebristol

As long as you’re running wide enough tape you should be fine – you aren’t relying on the rim to hold air in – that’s for the tape. I mostly run dt swiss tape in there – although I think the Schwalbe tape might be the same type of stuff. That said the Wtb yellow tape (think the same as Stans and Tesa) has worked fine for me too.

If he’s taco’ing reasonably strong rims I’d go up to the FR range of Dt Swiss rims tbh – they aren’t hugely heavier and it doesn’t sound like lightness is something the lad needs for fast runs down DH tracks.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

I’d go for DT Swiss FR541

chakaping

+1 for the DT FR rim

Dunno which insert he was using, but I’ve found the Rimpact PRO model to be much better than their standard ones (and possibly other brands) at preventing rim damage.

matt_outandabout

You have my sympathy about an over keen rider destroying wheels…my eldest went through about 7 wheels in about 18 months once, with inserts. We ‘solved’ it by him running better inserts and DH tyres, and a dose of awareness that things are not unbreakable! But good luck persuading a youngster of that!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.