Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hope floating rotor clicking noise – normal?
  • flyingmm

Hi. Just bought a 160mm Hope saw rotor off ebay having previously used a standard M4/ Mini rotor.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/CTrjZj2JXxq3CNKyHrtMFw?feat=directlink%5B/img%5D

Looks in great condition but produces a clicking noise on braking with my hope mono minis. Seems to click as every saw tooth passes past a pad – they are definitely on the right way round too. Is this normal? Just wondering if all hope saw tooth rotors are compatible with my brakes? Thanks for your help.

DickBarton

Think mine did but not sure now…wasn’t a big click though.

lunge

Mine click when they are hot and are cooling down, I think this is perfectly normal.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

check it’s not the bobbins rubbing on the caliper body or caliper mount. On some setups (Shimano calipers especially) the space is very tight and the mount needs some filing to clear the bobbins.

bazza17
    Free Member

Are your nuts tight?

shiny
    Free Member

Make sure you have 180 mounts and a 180 rotor and not 180 mounts with a 183 rotor, sometimes this can click as the rotor collides with the spring and pin that hold the pads,
    cheers
    shiny

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Make sure you have 180 mounts and a 180 rotor and not 180 mounts with a 183 rotor

It’s a 160mm; no variants.

Can you recreate the noise with the bike in a workstand? It seems most likely that you’ve just got something of a caliper alignment issue. It might even be a non-rotor issue, like a stuck piston or even just a need to reset the pistons/pads.

flyingmm

Thanks for your tips everyone defo a 160mm rotor. The calliper is slightly misaligned so hopefully adjusting that will help. Will try the workstand test too. Clicking is not too loud – kinda like a wind up clock ticking in the background – if that helps 🙂 Cheers Andy

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The calliper is slightly misaligned so hopefully adjusting that will help

It’ll also mean that your brake works properly.

D0NK

kinda like a wind up clock ticking in the background

good chance it’s just something rubbing, slightly warped rotor or misaligned caliper/pads.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Mine clicked slightly and it was the caliper catching on the bolts that hold the rotor onto the spider – just needed some careful tweaking.

StuE
    Free Member

If the pads are worn it could be the anti rattle spring catching the rotor

flyingmm

Hi guys, thanks for your advice – I no longer have a clicking brake! In the end it was simply the spring arm catching the rotor on one side – due to not balancing the pistons evenly, which led to the uneven pad wear. Thanks again for the tips. Andy

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hope floating rotor clicking noise – normal?’ is closed to new replies.