Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Hope brake hose – shorten – problems
  • scoobmw
    Free Member

Ok folks – who’s successfully shortened Hope brake hoses?

I’ve just followed the very simple Hope video to do it on Hopetech. Great video – makes it look easy.

But – the process involves ‘peeling’ out the brass insert from the brake hose. All I eventually got after much use of the same size of screwdriver they use (and then some pliers to tug it out) is 1.5″ of the internal clear bit of the hose (didn’t realise there was two parts to hydraulic brake hoses – now I do).
    So – I now assume therefore my brakes are goosed, as for 1.5″ of the inner hose to be out at the top end presumably it’s detached from the bottom end.
    Why are these things never simple.

Tried the same with the rear brake, can’t get the brass olive out of that one either.

So – two questions for anyone who’s done it.
    1 – any tip for removing brass insert?
    2 – is my front brake now f’d as a result of hose inner coming out. I’m guessing it is (well in that I need to replace the whole hose now and buy plenty brake fluid)

Cheers

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

1, If sorting hose cut the hose to lenght first then remove the insert.
    2, I would say it f’d, But if the hose is going to be to shorted, you cut away 1.5″ of hose (the U/S bit) so you can see the inner tube/hose. if you sorting the hose anyway you prob cutting off more than 1.5″

If not you can get new hose, inserts and olives. One tub of brake fluid well be pleanty.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Tip when shortening hoses

Measure twice
    Cut Once

Infact, make that measure three times!

scoobmw
    Free Member

1, If sorting hose cut the hose to lenght first then remove the insert.

Yep – and will prob have to. Should get away with losing 1.5″ at either end. Just a pain when these ‘easy’ procedures turn into removing the whole hose which means inserts at the other end too 🙁
    Not sure what the Hope guys have in their video but clearly not as tightly fitted as mine.

scoobmw
    Free Member

Some helpful stuff from Hope manual on a USA site.
    They actually go into more detail and describe it thus.
    —-
    Use small thin bladed screwdriver at end of hose. This must be prised off carefully or the inner will separate from the outer.
    Or words to that effect
    —-

And various other helpful instructions.
    Manual I found is here in case it helps someone else one day.
    http://www.greenspeed.com.au/pdfs/userguide_hope.pdf

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Hope brake hose – shorten – problems’ is closed to new replies.