Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • HoNC 2022
  • 100psi
    Free Member

Anyone else riding this year? I will be on a black On One Scandal and hoping the weather holds till I get back

mrmo
    Free Member

I’ll be the last rider on the first half of the route, so if your slow please leave Winchcombe early and I might get home before the rain.

peteimpreza

yeah Ill be there early doors hoping to get 100km in before the rain.

jamesfts
    Free Member

yup, similarly aiming for an early 100k on the gravel bike.

ajantom

Me and a mate are doing it. Hoping to get around the 100km, but if it’s minging we’ll cut it short and do the 75km.

I’ll be on a drop handlebar Surly Krampus 😀

grahamh
    Free Member

Just about to head out, see you all there.

cakefacesmallblock

The wife and I have been wiped out by a post-Covid lack of energy and need to recover. Very late to post – the organisers know- but entries 268 and 270 aren’t going to be used, so if anyone is there with mates and don’t have an entry , please go and ask if they are still unused.
    Good luck everyone, hope you can dodge the rain.

onewheelgood

Well that was a nice day out. Did the 75k on my new hardtail. Great route, lots of trails that I’ve not ridden on a HONC before (think it’s my 6th attempt), very well signed as usual and the weather just about behaved itself. Bit of a shame that the feed stop ran out of feed with a lot of riders still to get there, but kudos to the organisers anyway, it must be a lot of work to put that on.

100psi
    Free Member

What a great ride. The Scandal was great on the 2.25 Mezcals I managed the 100k in 5 hours and 10 mins. I got to the food stop before the supplies ran out and enjoyed a pre packed slice of Bakewell Tart. Was looking forward to some bread pudding though!
    Thought the route was great with some new trails and some super fast downhill sections toward the end where I was glad of my suspension fork. Did see a few gravel bikes suffering with punctures. As above kudos to the organisers for putting on a great event again.

kayak23

Sounds cool. I ride around that area quite a bit but have never tackled HONC as frankly I think I’d die trying to do 100k around there. 😂
    Respect to all who did it. 👏

ajantom

Lovely day out 😎
    Weather behaved itself remarkably well considering the forecast.
    Got to both food stops when there food left!

Happy with getting round the 100km in just over 5hr30 on a singlespeed 😉

https://strava.app.link/BWxo4WBs3sb

Oh yeah, and fair **** play to lad who was riding a DH bike!!! Did he finish?

jamesfts
    Free Member

Great ride, lovely part of the world to explore. Managed the 100k in just over 5hrs with a few stops to regroup. Glad I was on the gravel bike – few ploughed fields were a bit uncomfortable but overall the right tool for the job.

Soooo lucky with the weather and great to see such a varied range of bikes and rider out enjoying them selves. Big thanks to the organisers, cracking day.

grahamh
    Free Member

Well, sign clearing I picked up the following items, 2 gel wrappers, 2 water bottles and 1 helmet. The helmet was picked up within the grounds of Sudley Castle, about 200m of the finish.
    Thank you every one for being so careful and not discarding your rubbish.

mattsccm
    Free Member

It was good. Really enjoyed that last descent through no cycling land and even better, no Cleeve hill! Didn’t seem as rough as in the past. On 35mm virtual slicks on my CX bike and they were fine. I wonder if running tubeless was a bonus.
    I do miss the proper food though!

grahamh
    Free Member

I do miss the proper food though!

Please do give feed back on different food options (veterinarian/vegan), it does help us provide better options for next year

mattsccm
    Free Member

Feed back? Most certainly. Where? LOTS of good things to say. Feeling amongst my mates is that the food is too “modern”. Gels, munchies bars etc. Even the cake was wrapped. Where was the bread puddding? Real food was always a good point of the event. Wrappers! Guess its a mix of covid, sponsored provider and ease of handling. Fair enough.
    Savoury would be nice.
    Am I the only one who prefered the traditional time of year?
    So many helpful marshals, amazing. Fantastic route marking. No Cleeve hill! Jury out on the new type of start.
    Can’t wait until next year.

kayak23

Please do give feed back on different food options (veterinarian/vegan

Just nice to see that pets are being catered for too.

peteimpreza

Got round the 100km in just under 6 hours which was my target.

Brutally beautiful course as ever.

Loved to new start format, so much less stressful than the mass start of old. These always used to end up with a spectacular jam of riders on the first hill.

I also preferred the new time of year.

Thanks to all the organisers and volunteers.

onewheelgood

Rolling through Winchcombe on the mass start was fun, the carnage on the first muddy climb less so. So on balance I think I prefer the more relaxed staggered start.

As for the time of year, the September date makes it a more pleasant ride, but what happened to the ‘Hell’? I love the dry and dusty riding, but I do miss the challenge and utter brutality of the muddy years when it really was hellish. But in my mid-sixties, a return to April would probably have me returning to the 50k. Can we do it in April and September?

hoopyfrood
    Free Member

Thank you every one for being so careful and not discarding your rubbish.

+1 on this! For the first half of the 100k route (after the split) all we picked up one bottle and an ass-saver.

@mattsccm
    – what’s wrong with Cleeve Hill? It’s worth it for the views alones surely? It does seem to be pretty consistently on the route every other year, so it should be pretty easy to avoid.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.