• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by dab.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Homemade shoe dryers
  • ayjaydoubleyou

As its getting wet out there, who has made their own shoe dryers – hot air hose type things.

Any pics or links to the critical parts to help me on my way?

40mpg

Hardly worth making one when you can get this for a little over £20. Works very effectively, timer etc too. Wouldnt do without mine now, even take it when I go away biking or walking.

whatgoesup

you can get this for a little over £20

Very timely – the idea of buying something similar just came up last week.
    What’s the hive mind’s view on what’s “good enough” or what’s “good” if there’s any difference in these things ?

chakaping
    Free Member

That thing is great. No need to spend more IMO.

ayjaydoubleyou

You know what, its friday, i’m impulsive, and that was a lot cheper than I thought.
    Ordered the one 40mpg linked to.
    Will probably be able to report back how it works after this weekend.

doomanic

I also have the drier linked to above. It’s very good.

sandwicheater

Please do OP, currently just bung wife’s hairdryer on/in if really soggy/need the next day. Above would help with the scornful looks.

40mpg

Top tip – If, like mine, your soggy smelly cycling boots are relegated to the shed/garage, its also great at gently warming then before a winter ride. You can thank me later.

whatgoesup

Life is too short – just ordered the one that 40mpg linked to.

desperatebicycle

Tempting that. Recently bought some Leatt shoes, soooo comfortable (compared to the usual disco slippers), but they got rained on and took 4 days to dry out!

kayak23

I have the one linked to above.
    Meh. Don’t use it much. You seem to have to put it on for donkeys.
    I mean, it works…eventually.

I usually just end up rotating a couple of pairs and leaving the wet ones in a small room with a radiator.

flannol
    Free Member

HAIRDRYER ON COLD

Takes 2-5 mins for damp shoes, 10mins for properly soaked through

Pure (just highly accelerated) air/wind drying, no heating, so no banking in of the smell

Those ones linked above warm the shoes. So bake in the smell. And take forever because they don’t push much air volume.

scotroutes

I use the Maxxdry. It has four outlets and will dry most stuff in one 40 minute session. Handy for wetsuit gloves and socks too.

ogri
    Free Member

Newspaper stuffed inside,replace as needed till shoes are dry.

fazzini

As per @ogri + radiator = job jobbed

augustuswindsock

What’s newspaper?

fooman

What’s newspaper

You can get news on an ipad now so you could try shoving one in your boots. Or buy a dedicated shoe dryer and guarantee dry shoes. We have one that’ll get 4 pairs dry in an evening even if we’ve bike hiked through rivers, we take it holiday with us now.

desperatebicycle

ogri
    Newspaper stuffed inside,replace as needed till shoes are dry.

Yeah, I grew up playing football in the 70s too. And radiators have to be on to be effective. Have you seen the price of gas?

grum
    Free Member

I had one like this but with a couple more loops which was pretty effective but I swear it was nowhere near as expensive as this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Thermostat-Electric-Shoe-Dryer-Shoe-Boot-Drying-Machine-Drying-Rack-220-GF-/114929854348

The wall mounted ones they have in ski boot rooms would be good.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

About a bazillion years back I made one from a 12v adaptor, a chunky resistor, a pc case fan and some hosepipe.

Worked… But so did the toasty warm boot lockers in the ski resort hotel basement.

kirkg
    Free Member

Just had the one linked above delivered the other day. Had left my shoes out in torrential rain and seems to have done a pretty decent job of drying them out.

P20

We keep looking at these things. Will have a look at those linked above. Thanks

ogri
    Free Member

Rads don’t have to be on,the shoes are “comfortable” to use afterwards.I forgot that newspapers are dying out for most folk.

dab

I’m running a “Thermic” one from Deacathlon that cost all of £28, bloody ace for bike shoes, snowboard boots and ski boots, had it a few seasons now & super happy.

When you are in the alps nothing beats war, dry boots in the morning 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Homemade shoe dryers’ is closed to new replies.