Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Homemade Cat Food?
  • dafoxster
    Free Member

Does anybody feed their cat homemade cat food? Thinking of giving it a try with some poultry and rabbit.

While researching this I found vegetarian cat food which I think is just wrong!

philconsequence
    Free Member

google ‘natural instinct pet food’ .. they do cat food and it wouldn’t surprise me if the website listed ingredients and percentages, should give you a good starting point?

Cougar

You shouldn’t give cats (exclusively) a vegetarian diet, they’re carnivores. IIRC the RSPCA class it as cruelty, though this may be an urban myth. If it offends your vegetarian sensibilities, don’t get a cat.

Cats need taurine in their diet, without it they’ll go blind. Commercial cat food is fortified with the stuff (which is why you shouldn’t feed them on Pedigree Chum). If you’re making home-made food, can you guarantee they’ll get this?

Short answer; it’s probably a bad idea.

rocketman
    Free Member

vegetarian cat food

Fail

Our cat loves roast chicken scraps. We also give it the (cooked) turkey giblets at Xmas it eats the lot then passes out for 24hrs. Also partial to porridge, Pringles and pork scratchings.

Will eat tinned/packet cat food but only as a last resort

peachos
    Free Member

Cats need taurine in their diet, without it they’ll go blind. Commercial cat food is fortified with the stuff (which is why you shouldn’t feed them on Pedigree Chum). If you’re making home-made food, can you guarantee they’ll get this?

How did cats evolve to have eyesight without anyone feeding them tinned cat food for millions of years?

philconsequence
    Free Member
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How did cats evolve to have eyesight without anyone feeding them tinned cat food for millions of years?

By accessing whole raw prey.

peachos
    Free Member

ok, we give ours plenty of raw meat & fish so i’m sure they’re fine (though they do have tinned food too).

cheers.

footflaps

Our cats absolutely go mad for Allbran – they finish my bowl every morning (and it’s not the milk as I have it with water).

Jeff is also partial to water cress, so I reckon if I blended the two I could have vegetarian cat food they’d love.

Jeff the killing machine by brf, on Flickr

meehaja
    Free Member

See, thats a cool looking cat. Mine just eats and eats and then pukes and shits everywhere. Wont go outside. Hundreds of pounds in Vet bills and apparently she just eats too fast. Try restricting the ammount of food she eats and she just getd nasty and attacks either me or mini meehaja. Nasty, nasty cat. The other 2 are ok though.

philconsequence
    Free Member

its the tie that does it.

*not ashamed to admit i’ve spent 5 minutes googling shirt collar and bow/ties for my dog*

Trimix
    Free Member

I feed a cat that comes to visit each day and am considering feeding it something spicy so it kind of marinates from the inside out.

Then when it dies I can eat it and it would taste good.

Anyone feeding their cat tinned cat food has been feeding it horse meat.

footflaps

its the tie that does it.

They both dress for dinner, as any self respecting feline should. Here is his brother, George:

George by brf, on Flickr

IanMunro
    Free Member

Does anybody feed their cat homemade cat food? Thinking of giving it a try with some poultry and rabbit.

My cat loves both of those providing they’re fresh.
    I’d post pics, but I’ll get banned again as apparently meat is too disturbing for more sensitive STW membership.

maccruiskeen

I’d post pics, but I’ll get banned again as apparently meat is too disturbing for more sensitive STW membership.

its not the meat that upsets people – its the way you spin it. 🙂

spchantler
    Free Member

cats, invented 25 million years ago,
    cat food, invented about 60 years ago.
    meow

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Homemade Cat Food?’ is closed to new replies.