Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Home insurance with Bike cover
  • dan45a
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 bikes totalling about £8k in replacement value.

Can anyone recommmend home insurance to cover this value?

I have been with M+S but had a £4k claim when my DH bike got stolen, so they will not cover me again for bikes.

failedengineer

I’ve just renewed ours. The M&S quote was £450, which I thought was too much (3 bikes totalling £5500 & a £2000 watch). Used Compare the Meerkat in Ms Engineer’s name and got Sheilas Wheels for £300 ish.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

What bike cover to Sheilas Wheels offer? I need to shop around too.

My M&S policy just cost nearly £800 to renew, zero years no claims and 4 bike thefts in the last 5 years.. But that’s the premier level buildings and contents, with accidental loss and cover outside of the UK, which is useful.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

What bike cover to Sheilas Wheels offer

Do you cover bicycles?
    Yes, our contents in the home (high risk items) would give you basic cover. If you’d like cover away from home, you should add “personal possessions cover away from the home” to your policy. There is a limit of £500 per pedal cycle. If your pedal cycle is worth more than £500 you’ll need to tell us about it so that we can class it as a “specified item”.

failedengineer

Yes, I specified the bikes as requested. They are listed on the policy. I guess if I change any of them I should inform Sheila.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

How much did the bike cover cost, as a percentage of their value?

dan45a
    Free Member

M&s won’t cover me. £500 per cycle isn’t good enough.

Any other companies out there that approach it like m&s with blanket cover?

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Use MoneySupermarket, fill out your details and see what prices come back.

I would then contact the firm with the best quote directly as I took out home contents with Budget in July to cover my new FS. I then went to add my new HT this week only to find that the broker who provided my policy will not accept bikes with a total value of over £5k.

I had to cancel at a cost of £45. Which I’m still fuming about as ‘their’ policy does not meet ‘my’ requirements.

Anyway, I’ve now gone with AA @ £160pa. So cheaper and covers both bikes.

jonathan
    Free Member

Hiscox cover is good (and they’ve improved it recently too). Not cheap, but cheaper than M&S after they’d hiked it 25%.

Be careful about not declaring that claim for the DH bike, most insurers ask what claims you’ve made in the last 3 or 5 years,

dan45a
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Really struggling now. No one will cover the bikes, seems company’s are limiting bike cover to about £1500 per cycle unless an under writer is involved.

Money supermarket quote come up but as soon as you link to site and add bikes they either can’t offer cover or need you to deal with an underwriter.

Tried a bike only policy, that was £717 per year plus about £250 for my household!! Cycling is more expensive than ever 🙁

seanodav
    Free Member

try AA they were pretty good for me…
    edit: you will need ring them though and list the bike.

njee20
    Free Member

More Than weren’t too bad when I looked.

flashes
    Free Member

I believe if you ring Direct Line and tell them exactly what you need, They’ll quote.

Scapegoat

I use Axa.

Various clauses about bikes in the garage, so they need to be locked, secured etc, but otherwise included in the up to £10k per item away from the home.

Always worth checking with them as some people simply cannot comprehend that a bicycle can cost more than £500 to replace

wheelie

i’m with NfU and have frozen the premiums for 5 years! You can talk to a humanoid too!

frazered
    Free Member

AA do not do new for old on bikes !

Direct line seem to be rated well, I am with Barclays

thered

I reckon you can’t beat M&S tbh

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’ve just gone with Co-op – had to tell them about one of the bikes that’s over £1000. Covered away from home “if locked to a fixed object”.

Grim
    Free Member

I’ve just gone with Aviva, they wanted to know the value of the most expensive bike which was £2500. They cover each bike and will pay up for each one. They provide cover away from the home.

Grim

Suggsey
    Free Member

I too found that my new £3.5k bike would not be covered by AA home insurance when locked to a locked carrier which is connected to my vehicle alarm system and would be secured with Gold Sold Secure Lock. To be fair M&S would-for a ridiculous renewal price and only on a new policy as they are trying to get everyone off their old policy which I had kept running till switching to the AA based on cost.
    I ended up doing a search for bike specific policies and have had to cough up £249 for a years cover, which I will keep up for the next three years as its new for old etc etc etc and will be covered when locked with the gold secure lock to the locked and alarmed bike rack-common sense hooray. Not that I leave it out of eyeshot even when locked as I am untrusting of a lot of human beings. The cheaper AA home and building plus the bike specific now adds up to the old M&S policy after all.

dan45a
    Free Member

Sorted….I played with AA website a bit and finally got it to quote instead of sending me to the under writers. Got £3.5k cover per bike 🙂

Spoke to my old company and sounds like axa who under write MS… plus many others have changed their cover so that’s why I was having trouble.

Thanks again all for comments.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Home insurance with Bike cover’ is closed to new replies.