• This topic has 40 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by TedC.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Home Insurance – PedalCover T&C’s changed – ideas?
  • Hob-Nob
    Free Member

So, upon renewal it seems PedalCover will no longer insure bikes in ‘outbuildings’.

Which leaves a problem, as we have quite a collection of bikes to what would be considered a high value.

This seems to be a bit of a trend with insurers right now – putting in some hefty restrictions on items in outbuildings. Anyone got any suggestions on other insurers to try?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

What’s their definition of an outbuilding?

Do they specify anything?

DT78
    Free Member

would be good to know the definition as it potentially crosses them off the list….

I’m with admiral with specified bikes.  non more than £2.5k which seems to be the magic number after which the online calculators don’ work…and they want a conversation

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

I’d like to think they cover brick built garages. The line below is a copy and paste from their renewal email.

£unlimited Contents cover <b>(</b><b>would cover all your bikes at home</b><b> – <u>no limit in the garage unlike other insurers</u>)</b>

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

What’s their definition of an outbuilding?

Do they specify anything?

Yep, the obvious of a shed etc. Garage was a bit more of a grey area, but we don’t have a garage so I didn’t clarify further – they did state on the phone that garages aren’t covered any more though, probably worth a call to clarify.

High value, multiple bikes & not inside the house seems to send them a bit loopy this time round.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Will have to check at renewal time, wonder what they will make of bikes stored in an Asgard in an alarmed shed.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Interesting, my renewal is due start of July. Will see what comes through.

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve just spoke to pedalcover as I’m due to renew soon. They said my bikes still covered in my Concrete shed just not if it were a wooden one as they can no longer cover wood sheds.  Hope that helps

njee20
    Free Member

Interesting so one person being told garages are out (contradicting their website text), someone else being told concrete shed is ok… one would assume garage ≥ concrete shed.

Shall also be seeing at renewal, as that’s them out.

firestarter
    Free Member

Sorry I will clarify concrete or brick outbuilding shed/ garage fine wooden not covered

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Clear as mud – they were blaming AXA as the underwriter for a change of policy…

Yet just gone to a small independent broker who has spoken to AXA, and confirmed they will cover again, for the same price…

So we have gone with a broker who has matched the previous cover. Pedalcover were insistent we wouldn’t cover with them this time round.

Oh well, their loss.

njee20
    Free Member

Sorry I will clarify concrete or brick outbuilding shed/ garage fine wooden not covered

Yep, I realise that’s what you meant – but Hobnob was told garages not covered. That seems mental, to market yourself as the insurer for cyclists, but exclude bikes stored in garages. Even excluding sheds seems a bit shit. But then they’re basically a broker who only have one relationship (with Axa) and as such if Axa change things they’re a bit screwed.

It’s interesting, because when M&S was good and was the default choice for cyclists it was underwritten by Axa, so they’re obviously pretty cyclical with their attitudes toward high value bikes!

DT78
    Free Member

hob knob can you pass on your brokers details

njee20
    Free Member

Just had a really interesting chat with Darren at PedalCover specifically about this thread.

Outbuilding cover is not excluded

Axa are very supportive of PedalCover, and are working closely with them to enhance the cover, we’re not going to see a gradual shift away from what we’ve got, as happened with M&S previously. There’s no unilateral changes being made to T&Cs that cause problems.

Garages are fine.

Brick/concrete sheds are fine.

Asguards are fine.

Wooden sheds on renewals without claims history are fine.

Where they’re looking at cover is on sheds where there’s a claims history. PC have a panel of insurers (where Axa is the ‘default’ choice – my mistake, I thought they only used Axa) but because they still speak to every customer at renewal they are looking at cover levels, and it may be that Axa isn’t the best option, and cover can’t be offered without demonstrable improvements in the security.

Now obviously Hob Nob I can’t attest to the conversation you had, I don’t know who you spoke to or whether there was a misunderstanding somewhere, but Darren was emphatic that they’re not removing outbuilding cover, they’re working to improve the cover and ensure everyone is getting the best level of cover for their requirements.

I have no vested interested whatsoever – Darren connected my username here with my email address for my policy, but I did say that I’d post something to clarify the situation. Obviously anyone with specific questions can contact them directly.

Nick

5plusn8
    Free Member

I also checked my policy documents as my renewal has just come through, nothing about wooden sheds or anything. In fact here are my t & c’s, see what you can find?

Note mine is the pedal cover extra.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/45c31a990fd62ff90c2374163dd9e30920180606122628/df98df1a6989d37bcc667537d79e0e6620180606122628/506342?utm_campaign=WT_email_tracking&utm_content=general&utm_medium=download_button&utm_source=notify_recipient_email

Paceman
    Free Member

Thanks Njee20 🙂

jonathan
    Free Member

My renewal came up at the end of last year and I noticed they now excluded all records, CDs, etc from cover. A good 5-6ft of stacked vinyl adds up to a lot so I had to look elswhere. Went to Hiscox in the end. Shame as their bike cover suited me perfectly.

goby

Has anyone had any instance to claim on there insurance through Pedalcover? How was it? Where they helpfull and sort it all out with minimal fuss?

scaled
    Free Member

Has anyone had any instance to claim on there insurance through Pedalcover? How was it? Where they helpfull and sort it all out with minimal fuss?

about a 10 grand claim here 🙁 Bike stolen from the garage which is integral to the house, while we were asleep upstairs.

Pedalcover were great and renewed with them again this year with a massively inflated premium. There were quite a few bitsa bikes that were covered for the replacement value from photos where i didn’t have receipts etc. They really were great.

goby

Ah great many thanks as we just doing the look around for new cover at the moment

roverpig

Thanks @njee20 and others for the information. I’ve always found PedalCover great to deal with so would be disappointed if I had to stop using them as my bikes do live in a wooden shed. I guess I’ll just have to see what they say when the time comes, but for now I’ll keep wearing that natty jersey they sent me at Christmas 🙂

scotroutes

Jersey? I only got socks!!!

njee20
    Free Member

Jersey!? Socks!? I’ve only ever had a waterproof phone pouch thingy I think, and that didn’t fit in my jersey pocket!

Luckily I use them for insurance, not freebies!

firestarter
    Free Member

Bah I got nowt 🙁

AlexSimon

Major panic reading this thread. Pedalcover were hundreds cheaper than the nearest equivalent when I first went with them 3 years ago.
    Here’s hoping my renewal doesn’t throw up any surprises! (unless it’s another jersey – hehe).

DT78
    Free Member

ive claimed (burglary no bikes taken) very painless process, you deal with axa rather than pedalcover

unfortunately come renewal time, just as i moved house, the premium was ridiculous (an extra £1k on top of existing premium) so i went with slightly worse cover and saved myself £1200. They were very apologetic obviously as a broker they have their hands tied somewhat. i also thought they just used axa

hjghg5
    Free Member

Anyone with any experience of claiming for crash damage? I got taken out on a club ride this morning and my almost brand new £4k road bike didn’t come out of it well. I’ve called AXA and they are meant to be calling me back with next steps so fingers crossed!

ransos
    Free Member

The AA cover bikes in outbuildings on their higher level of cover. There’s a total limit of £7k I think.

They settled my wife’s claim for a stolen bike without fuss.

granny_ring

Thanks for heads up on this will look into this soon.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I got taken out on a club ride this morning and my almost brand new £4k road bike didn’t come out of it well.

In that situation, it doesn’t matter what Pedalcover’s service is like. Unless they insure the person who took you out, who you’re claiming from, surely?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I would assume Hjghg5 is claiming off the accidental damage cover provided as part of the Axa / Pedal Cover insurance.

hjghg5
    Free Member

Yes – going down the accidental damage route

nixie

Aren’t you supposed  to call PC not AXA for bike related claims?

legend
    Free Member

Unless they insure the person who took you out, who you’re claiming from, surely?

Do people actually raise claims against other club mates?

munrobiker
    Free Member

If a friend crashed their car into mine is claim off them. It being on a bicycle doesn’t make any difference.

stevied
    Free Member

Just taken out a policy with them and Hugh confirmed that my wooden shed is covered but he did suggest making sure it was as secure as possible.

AlexSimon

Thanks stevied – weird how they were pretty clear with Hob Nob

legend
    Free Member

If a friend crashed their car into mine is claim off them. It being on a bicycle doesn’t make any difference.

Youre riding in a bunch, it’s probably not even the fault of the guy who hit you. For me it’s a SIUP situation

J273
    Free Member

My home/contents is due for renew. Currently with M&S but their renewal is far too expensive with my bike included @ 6K.

Ive had a quote from AA which im tempted with and still waiting back from pedal cover. Im thinking AA but ill wait for the quote from PC first. Anyone with AA had any problems ?

Thanks

njee20
    Free Member

AA had low outbuilding limits and required locking to immovable objects IIRC.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Home Insurance – PedalCover T&C’s changed – ideas?’ is closed to new replies.