Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Home electrics – will I die?
  • cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

Are there any sparkies on here?

I’ve got a device that uses a transformer with a two strand output and a large right angled connection on the end – similar to this one:

https://picclick.co.uk/Replacement-for-12V-120V-15A-125A-10A-075A-401394458109.html#&gid=1&pid=1

The device has to be in a particular location to work properly – and getting the power to it means drilling through 3 x 15cm solid walls. Due to the connector on the end this means 25mm holes to get enough wiggle room.

Rather than destroying the house with massive holes could I snip the end off the cord, poke it through a smaller hole and then use a choc bloc to rejoin the cable?

The output is 12v / 1.5a if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any expert advice.

wwaswas

12v in the cut wire? You’ll be fine. Make sure you label the two strands before you cut so you reconnect the correct ones to each other.

[edit] although tbh why not use the holes to just run a mains spur out to where you need the 12v power and not worry about cutting the wires ont he transformer?

Kahurangi

If you struggle to mend the cable after it’s been split can you get hold of another adaptor easily?

spennyy
    Free Member

Don’t use a chock block, use something like a wago connector, much safer and all round a better product

dovebiker

Snip the cable, drill the holes and use a 10 or 12mm plastic pipe through each wall to act as a ‘conduit’ / makes it easier to push the wire through.

gobuchul
    Free Member

The output is 12v / 1.5a if that makes a difference.

Of course it makes a difference.

TBH even a choc block would be overkill. You could just strip them, twist them together and tape them up. If you want to be posh use heat shrink tubing.

dannybgoode

Yes. Everyone dies…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Home electrics – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.