• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Home Barberists, What Clipper?
  • lambchop
    Free Member

So I’ve recently given in to male pattern baldness and gone number 1 all over. Got my barber to do it, was more than happy to pay for a clipper cut as I like going to the barbers, nice chap good chat etc. Just found out he’s retired and shut up shop, fair play to the guy apparently he had been cutting hair for 40 years. So Id like to have a go at DIY barbering. I’m guessing it’s possible to run a clipper over ones bonce? If so what are the go to clippers?

binners

As a fellow baldy, having had quite a few sets, these are the best

Its logical really. Other clippers are designed for a barberist to cut your hair. These are designed to do your own. Simple, really. And they come with a small set of ‘normal’ clippers. They’re brilliant!

longdog
    Free Member

Wahl dog clippers are my current ones, cut much better than previous human ones I’ve had. I just use the bare blade on it’s shortest setting.

Dead quick and easy once you’ve done it a few times and figure out the spots that you miss if not being careful!

CheesybeanZ

For a basic no1 all over – anything cordless. I think mine are Remington, Lidl had some clippers in last week .

austy
    Free Member

My recommendation would be a wahl clippers but not the maintenance free ones.
    Get a set that just needs a dribble of oil every now and then.

thepurist

Wahl mains for simple reliable solution. Rechargeable if you cut your hair miles from a socket.

zippykona

Wahl cordless. You can cut your hair in the shower. No mess and no itchy back.

firestarter
    Free Member

Wahl balding clippers no guard and adjusted to shortest cut, still debating the wet shave option though tbh

longdog
    Free Member

I’ve debated wet shave too. My brother does it without a mirror, but I’m worried about shredding my head!

I don’t have an electric razor, but I wonder if that would be any better over the shortest bladed setting on the clippers?

firestarter
    Free Member

I had pondered that too but didn’t want to risk a rash but I might work

sweepy
    Free Member

Wahl corded, they weren’t marketed as maintenance free but in 15 years I’ve done nothing to them but clip my head.

jamj1974

I use a beard trimmer – mine is a Babyliss model. Rechargeable and quick to use as I don’t have to pause between head and beard! Cuts both bear and head hair well.

batfink
    Free Member

I have cordless Philips ones. Cordless makes sense if you are using them in the bathroom, however, if/when these die I will be replacing them with a set of corded Wahl ones for longevity/singletrackworldness

funkmasterp

Used to use clippers or wet shave with disposable razors. I then bought a headblade moto a couple of years ago. Best thing for baldies by a mile. I now just quickly shave my head in the shower every couple of days. Neat idea having a razor that fits around your finger. You can shave without a mirror with little chance of slicing your noggin. Just need to be careful around the ears for your first few attempts. Blades last a fair while too.

Moto

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Wahl corded here, now at least 10 years old, paid for themselves many times over compared to a visit to barbers.

alanw2007

Another vote for Wahl “Balding” (really) corded clippers. Rock solid.

zippykona

Another good thing about cordless is that they work on holiday. My corded ones wouldn’t work in Greece.

DezB
    Free Member

I use this Philips thing – less than half price on Argos at the mo –
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4441586
    Bargin

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Home Barberists, What Clipper?’ is closed to new replies.