Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Holme Valley MTB Challenge
  • dickydutch

Don’t suppose anyone has their name down to do this do they?
    No idea what to expect as it’s a completely new area to me in terms of riding. Looks hilly enough to be fun.

https://www.1sthv.co.uk/About/Bike-Challenge

MrSparkle

Did this many years ago. Seem to remember it was ok. Nothing too technical or owt but a nice challenge ride.

dickydutch

I suspected that might be the case. Looking forward to riding somewhere different anyway – fact it looks to be dry is a bonus.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ve done it years ago. Seem to remember a lot of road and lanes. No idea if the route is still the same.

I did the Calderdale MTB Marathon last weekend. Pretty similar I think. Going at full chat was motivating and made things more challenging. Massive turnout.

dickydutch

Ah shame I missed that – I had it noted down but family commitments prevented entry. Hope Holme Valley lot get a decent turnout too.

Garry_Lager

I’ve done it once a few year back – route was anticlockwise then. Remember thinking it was mainly smooth and could have stood a cross bike, just 1 or 2 more technical bits – but it might be different now. Still really enjoyed it – these sort of events are all about riding new areas like you say.

gingerflash

I did this a long time ago, like maybe 10 years ago.

The only thing I really remember was absolutely smashing my balls on my stem somehow. Was sore for days. Having said that, it was a stupid nothing-stumble, there were no difficult sections I don’t think. I seem to remember quite a bit of tarmac though.

However, I’ve just signed up for it, so I’ll be there on Sunday.

Nice to make some money for the Scouts too.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

https://1sthv.co.uk/About/Page1

maps on link above, alot of road and metres to climb, cheesegate nab is bypassed which is a shame, such good riding around the holmevalley but much of it is footpath.

definately do-able on a gravel bike, although cartworth could be hardwork, as are a few other tracks/climbs

gingerflash

little xc hardtail for me. 🙂

tewit
    Free Member

Tempted by this event. I’ve done similar events years ago around the area and really enjoyed them. I’ve done bog all riding this year though. 30 miles? Reckon I could manage it.😬 Best go and check the Soul.

dickydutch

Did think about the cx bike suitability but I’ve got an mtb day in my head now. Really looking forward to it. First bike event of any real sort in 9 or so years.

scuttler

CX OK if you’re very confident on cos there’s lots of gravel and tarmac. But, it is an MTB race best so if in doubt take that. There’s five sections that are loads better on a mountain bike.

mos

Yeah, probably quicker on a cx but the descents would be horrendous.

dickydutch

MTB it is then!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Holme Valley MTB Challenge’ is closed to new replies.