Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Holiday WIFI
  • jaminb
    Free Member

Morning IT gurus.
    We are away next week in Cape Verde which does not have the benefit of EU roaming. Unfortunately i need to take some work with me. What would be the best way of getting Internet connection without using my EE phone – which was ludicrously expensive last time i tried.
    I was thinking of buying a prepaid SIM card when we get there but do I need a dongle to plug into the laptop.

Will this work? Are all dongles created equally? I need amazon prime or currys as we go at the weekend.
    Thanks

nickjb
    Free Member

Have you got an old phone in a drawer? Just put the sim in that phone and use it as a WiFi hotspot

kilo

What would be the best way of getting Internet connection without using my EE phone

Asking your employer to provide a solution, would be my guess.

sharkbait
    Free Member

We’ve done this a number of times when on sailing holidays – we need to use two as we generally have 12 on the boat. Get something like this
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-M7200-Portable-Unlocked-management/dp/B0797VW7FG/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=3g+dongle&qid=1581674594&rnid=1642204031&s=computers&sr=1-4

and stick a PAYGO sim in it when you get there – or just use the wifi in cafe’s (or use an old phone as per nick ^)

johndoh
    Free Member

Asking your employer to provide a solution, would be my guess.

Is a good point.

Although the OP might just be self-employed…

OP – have you checked at the place you are staying to see if they have WiFi available?

jaminb
    Free Member

thanks for replies. Yes self employed so need to take the work unfortunately. No WiFi in the apartment and seems to drop out in the bars and restaurants when anyone else logs on.

Is Sharkbates £40 example noticeably better than a £6 example?

P20

Have you asked ee? They added USA roaming for a month for me last year. £10 one off fee, gave me 15gb (quarter of usual contract). Sorted through their webchat

Cougar

Last time I went abroad I got Three PAYG after shopping around.

It looks like they’ve changed their offer since I last used it, but they offer free data roaming up to 20GB and Cape Verde is on their list of covered countries. Used to be ten quid for the month, dunno if it still is or not.

You (probably) don’t need a dongle unless you need your existing number to be reachable and don’t have a spare phone. Put the SIM in your phone, enable the Wi-Fi hotspot and then connect to that from your laptop as nickjb says.

Worth a look on moneysavingexpert, they’ll almost certainly have a round-up of the current best deals.

CraigW
    Free Member

Is Sharkbates £40 example noticeably better than a £6 example?

What sort of 3G/4G dongle can you get for £6? The cheapest ones are probably on a contract, or locked to one network.

If it is just for a laptop, a USB dongle is probably cheaper than something with wifi. And means one less device to charge. Maybe worth getting a USB extension cable, so you can move it around for best signal.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Holiday WIFI’ is closed to new replies.