Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Hmm, SunRace 💩to Deore or SLX 11Speed ?
  • tdog
    Free Member

Right so I paid good money fir that 12Speed SunRace kit and wow is it pure 💩ty pants

£225 I paid so not looking to spend more than £180 for rear mech, cassette, chain & shifter.

Would like durable slick shifting at a reasonable weight.

yes yes pick 2 etc etc…

Thinking of going back to 11Speed due to nonsensical chain line issues –

SO

Is the new Deore & SLX 11Speed?

Weight differences between both?

Where to buy from?

mucho thankios! 👍

simondbarnes

Is the new Deore & SLX 11Speed?

New Deore is 10spd, 11spd or 12spd
    New SLX is 12spd

piemonster

I’ve a Deore 11 speed rear mech.

It is good!

tdog
    Free Member

Thank you both 👍

that’s all I really needed to know I reckon.

Deore 11Speed here I cooooooome…

oioi

kelvin

Chainline issues?

Deore 10spd is the one.

joebristol

I’ve got XT 12 speed, GX 11 speed and just put together a mish mash setup of bits for my nephew – new deore 5100 11 speed mech, SLX 11 speed shifter, Sunrace 11-46 cassette and NX cranks and chainring.

I’m not sold on 12 speed or the new style of shimano rear mech so far. My 12 speed is ok until it gets muddy then it seems very noisy. GX 11 speed is bullet proof in comparison. So I’d go 11 speed in your case I think – my new hardtail is going to be Sram 11 speed and think I’m just going to stick on a 30t ring for a reasonable lower gear and see how that goes. Sunrace do a 10-46 cassette, I could be tempted to try that in future.

If I were in your position I think I’d go 11 speed – either with the older style of shimano mech – probably slx – or go GX 11 speed – probably on a Sunrace cassette if you have a standard HG freehub.

drob59
    Free Member

tgog try https://www.bike-discount.de/ for Shimano 5100 stuff.

jeff

+1 for bike discount for this.

Deore 11 speed 11-51t fits onto bog standard shimano HG free hubs.

@joebristol
    , I have just fitted the exact same deore 5100 11 speed mech with SLX 11 speed shifter combo. (I wanted an i-spec B shifter.) How is the shifting for you? I’m wondering if I’ve set it up wrong as I’m getting some slow/noisy upshifts.

unovolo
    Free Member

To be honest the 11 and 12spd deore rear derailleurs look identical to me (bar the holographic logo), I have the 11spd one (5100) and its spot on.

joebristol

@joebristol, I have just fitted the exact same deore 5100 11 speed mech with SLX 11 speed shifter combo. (I wanted an i-spec B shifter.) How is the shifting for you? I’m wondering if I’ve set it up wrong as I’m getting some slow/noisy upshifts.

I think it’s just tricky to setup correctly. Also very sensitive to the rear mech being perfectly straight – even though I had a brand new frame I had to adjust the mech hanger with the relevant tool.

Even still I think it’s sensitive to b screw and chain length. Have you sized the chain according to the instructions – rather than old style + 2 links. The chain needs to be longer with the new style mech.

To be honest the 11 and 12spd deore rear derailleurs look identical to me (bar the holographic logo), I have the 11spd one (5100) and its spot on.

I think they’re basically the same to look and as they have to hit the same range near enough. Might have a different cable pull ratio though.

tdog
    Free Member

Hmmmm all intriguing info!

thank you guys 👍😁

jeff

Even still I think it’s sensitive to b screw and chain length. Have you sized the chain according to the instructions – rather than old style + 2 links. The chain needs to be longer with the new style mech.

Yes, done that, got the chain length right, got it the right way round, and got the power link in the right direction 🙂

Thanks for the tips, I will dig out my mech alignment tool from the shed. Assuming the rear wheel is still true…

piemonster

FWIW

Im running Deore 5100 1×11 with a Sunrace 11-51

And on the other bike new XT 12 speed Sunrace 11-51

In use I prefer the Deore 5100

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I got a full slx 11 speed groupset inclduing cranks and bb for 250 a few weeks ago. Shimano are doing a run out as moved slx to 12. Speak to your lbs

tdog
    Free Member

Thanks Steve for headsup on the remaining SLX 11speed stock

👍😁

jeff

Fixing the mech alignment has sorted out my shifting here.

joebristol

Fixing the mech alignment has sorted out my shifting here.

Nice work! I’ve borrowed the tool to do the bike I was building for my nephew.

Whilst I’ve got it I’m going to check my bike too, just in case that makes it slicker when muddy (can always hope).

Think I need to buy one of these tools myself if I ever catch one in a sale – plus a headset press that’ll cope with 44/56 semi integrated cups.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips, I will dig out my mech alignment tool from the shed. Assuming the rear wheel is still true…

Don’t want to teach anyone to suck eggs, but the wheel doesn’t need to be true. You use the valve for reference and move the wheel around with the alignment tool.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Hmm, SunRace 💩to Deore or SLX 11Speed ?’ is closed to new replies.