• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Hit by a drink driver last night. A poor quality rant…..
  • beaker

On my commute to work last night I was hit from behind whilst stationary at traffic lights. The other driver was later arrested for being over the limit and probably uninsured. I’m ok and it’s only a car but I’ll be out of pocket and inconvenienced. All because some scumbag can’t play by the rules the rest of us follow.

Gah!

Sorry STW, I needed to get that off my chest. I apologise for correct spellings, punctuation and lack of random capitalisation.

globalti
    Free Member

Was it in one of the uninsured driver hotspots? This inability to comply with the rules, which the rest of us follow, is one reason why Mrs Gti and I can’t wait to retire to a fairly deserted corner of Scotland.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.gov.uk/compensation-victim-uninsured-driver

Compensation for victims of uninsured or hit and run drivers
    You may be able to claim compensation from the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) if you’ve been injured or your property has been damaged because of an uninsured or ‘hit and run’ driver.
    Contact the MIB directly for more information – eg to find out what you can claim for, the deadlines for claiming and how to claim.

May be some help, on the plus side he is off the road now and hopefully for a bit

bikebouy
    Free Member

Check your insurance, some companies underwrite uninsured drivers on your policy so you can claim but don’t loose your NCB. Probably excess dependant though, could be worth a phone call.

beaker

Thanks for your input…. wasn’t in a black spot and retirement in a remote corner of Scotland sounds perfect to me. Thanks for posting the link, anything will help at the moment. I’m phoning the insurance company in a bit, I’ll see what they say. I’m not holding out much hope. I was giving a statement to the police until nearly midnight, ready for when matey boy wakes up this morning.

GrahamS

Bummer OP, but be thankful it is just metal and money, not bone and blood.

I’ve never really understood the uninsured situation.

Surely the point of insurance is to protect you from unexpected costs?

So if the other party doesn’t have insurance then that should be their problem, not yours. They should still need to pay out the full amount requested by your insurance company. It should make no difference at all to your claim or required cover.

To me the fact that it doesn’t work like that is part of the massive scam that is insurance.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Phew, for a couple of sentences or so I thought you were on a bike – glad to hear you’re well.
    Not much else to add other than what GrahamS said makes sense. If the insurance companies were footing the bill, surely something more would be done about the large number of uninsured drivers (maybe).

twistedpencil

I got rear ended by an uninsured driver in March this year. The insurance company have been great though still waiting to find out what’s going on. Car was picked up and sorted within a week. They are now pursuing the uninsured numpty who only decided to return my calls when the company got heavy with him, after the car was sorted, would have gone off book with him if he’d actually spoke to me shortly after the bump.

Had to shop around this time around but premium is roughly the same.

Thankfully you’re okay, hopefully your insurance will sort the lump of metal out.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I’ve obviously not understood that either. I thought you claim off your own insurance and it’s up to them to recover what they can. Unless you only have third party.

Junkyard
    Free Member

They should still need to pay out the full amount requested by your insurance company. It should make no difference at all to your claim or required cover.

The chances of the uninsured driver having the money or paying up is not high

I thought we all paid an extra premium to cover this in every insurance policy so in effect all of us who pay for ourselves also pay to cover those **** who dont pay

OP glad you are ok as cars are repairable/replacable

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I thought we all paid an extra premium to cover this in every insurance policy so in effect all of us who pay for ourselves also pay to cover those **** who dont pay

That would be the link and text in my post up there…

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I too was worried at first you where on your bike ! I hope it get’s sorted without too much pain and inconvenience. The wife had a bad run with her car, three bumps in 12 months (*) none her or my fault, all sorted without cost but stress especially about losing ncb even for non-fault. We feel your pain.

1) car pulled out of a turning and hit us broadside – big 4×4 vs Micra wasn’t fun
    2) Neighbour reversed into us whilst we where parked (his son was playing loud music and he could not hear reversing sensor !)
    3) Van side swiped us rushing for Eurotunnel “ffs mate we are late for our crossing and have a long way to go”. Tried to leg it without exchanging details and did not have their insurance paperwork – legal requirement in France

Junkyard
    Free Member

😳

rmacattack
    Free Member

Jambalaya reason number 2 is why more technology should not be in cars. He had come that dependant on the sensor he didn’t even look.

I did a job at an old guys house one Saturday for a favour. Car was parked up in a huge yard, I must have been 5m from his car. The old guy was that used to throwing the car in reverse and going about his daily routine that he didn’t even bother to look and slammed right into the front wing of my car.

molgrips
    Free Member

He had come that dependant on the sensor he didn’t even look.

No, it just needs better technology that mutes the stereo when you select reverse. Or it automatically stops if it detects an imminent bump unless you manually override.

People were failing to look long before parking sensors were common. A neighbour reversed into my then girlfriend’s car during the day in a shared driveway, she didn’t look because “there isn’t normally anyone there at this time of day”. FFS. Didn’t even notice the car in the driveway when she exited the house.

zilog6128

No, it just needs better technology that mutes the stereo when you select reverse

my van mutes the stereo when the warning beeps go off. It also has “zones” visible in the rear camera monitor that go green/Amber/red to show how close you are to something so there is visual feedback also. More tech is a good thing 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s when it partly fails that it’s a problem. The reversing sensor system on our car (Skoda) stopped working: it still beeped when you put it into reverse but there were no warning tones or indicator bars on the display unit.

The first time it broke I was in a supermarket car park and only just noticed as I had turned round and was watching where I was going and realised that there were no warning tones even though I was within a few cm of several cars.

The car is now so old it’s not worth repairing the sensor, back to the good old Mk1 eyeballs. 😉

beaker

Quick update….. yes was in a car and not on my bike, apologies for the confusion. I rang to start the claims process this morning and fortunately he is insured, which was very unexpected. Thanks for all your input STW!

CountZero

Hope everything gets sorted quickly for the OP. One of the team I work with was just in the process of getting a car ready to drive away from an auction site hub, when a transporter driver reversing a car off his truck ran into him!
    Now that’s embarrassing!

sbob
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member

Check your insurance, some companies underwrite uninsured drivers on your policy so you can claim but don’t loose your NCB.

Instaban!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Hit by a drink driver last night. A poor quality rant…..’ is closed to new replies.