• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Alex.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • HipLock v Abus Bordino Folding
  • Alex

As per my Vibe thread, need a new lock. It’s not too dodgy where we live and this is just for locking up in local town. It’ll always be somewhere public. I really don’t like D-Locks in the frame. When I used to commute, the mounts were always rubbish and they got in the way of everything! So considering one of these two:

Hiplock: https://hiplok.com/product/hiplok-gold/

Abus: https://mobil.abus.com/int/on-road/Locks/Folding-Locks/BORDO-GRANIT-XPlus-6500-85-black-SH

Similar security and price. I do have a spare bottle cage mount now, but it’s right above the charging plug. So the Hiplock seems a better option, but I can’t get my head round a 2.5kg ‘belt’ not being uncomfortable.

Not going off-road, short-ish (< 10km mostly) trips.

Any recommendations, or something else I’ve missed.

fossy

I have the Bordo – use it for locking my front wheel, with a d-lock for the rear – this is at work though. I’ve actually got three Bordo’s !!!

Alex

Wow, that’s a recommendation in itself 🙂

fossy

Had one years – the slightly longer version, then picked up two ‘red’ short ones in a sale. Used to keep one at work in case anyone ‘forgot’ a lock. Aldi did a copy for a while. We’ve a fair selection of the Bordo’s and Aldi copies at work – they offer pretty good protection and are a bit ‘unusual’ – i.e. not a d-lock, cable or chain.

They come with bottle cage holder.

Alex

Ta. I think I’m going to go with one of those. Those Hiplocks get great reviews but I’m not quite sold..

fettlin

I have a Hiplok Spin HERE which i use for work and locking in town when i pop to the shops. Neither are particularly high risk, work i can see my bike from my office window and in town its always in a visible public place (and not left for very long).

Less than a Kg, combi lock and surprisingly robust means its very practical to take and use. I’ve had bigger locks that i’ve been reluctant to take as it’s too bulky so i didnt end up using the bike. The chain is solid and so is the locking mechanism, i dont worry about the bike when i leave it for a short time. Comfortable to wear as well, considering.

I do have a big D lock that i occasionally use if i need to leave the bike in town for a long time, but that goes in a panier bag.

Alex

Thanks @fettlin – that’s the thing isn’t it. I have loads of big, heavy locks I used in the bike shed but I wouldn’t carry any of them with me. Mostly as they weigh a ton.  Mostly it’ll be left for only a few mins in public spaces or in the pub (where we already have a big lock attached to an old mill wheel so that’ll be fine 🙂 ) – I guess there’s two types of tea leaf – opportunistic if there is no security and ‘we’re having it even if it involves major power tools’.

I’m hoping I’m mostly dealing with the first type.

sanername

I’ve had TiGr locks for me bikes for a while. Been left overnight in deepest darkest Dalston and there are a few marks on them, but nothing has ever managed to get through them. Not cheap though.

dyna-ti

I’ve also got the bordo type. It can at least be folded and live on the bike.

Bordino

Sounds like a Spanish brothel 😕

fettlin

@Alex, exactly. The one i use is more than good enough to stop the opportunist. It’s pretty tough in itself and i’ts also the hi viz version so stands out as a visual deterrent a bit more. Along with being parked in a visible place i’m comfortable with it. If your local scrotes have the time and the brass neck to use major power tools, then even if they cant get through the lock then there is nothing stopping them cutting through the frame/lamppost/tree and pinching the bike anyway. Stripped and spares on ebay.

Alex

@fettlin – I’ve made a £30 punt for one. It’s certainly better than the old cable lock I have that’s just about transportable. We’l see how we get on. Knowing me, I’ll end up with both types!

Alex

Vax'd to the MAX!

It’s had it’s maiden voyage. The fact I was in and out of the surgery in about 4 mins (and that’s Covid + Flu jab!) didn’t really test  it properly. Still it’s easy to carry, really don’t notice it and long enough to get the wheel and the frame in. Still good luck unbolting that rear wheel!

I did have a moment of panic as I’d set the combo on the ‘wrong’ side of the housing. Thought I’d set it to some unguessable 4 digit number until I realised what I’d done. Before that, thoughts of angle grinders were at the forefront of my thinking 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.