• This topic has 20 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by gray.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Hip protection
  • gray

Supposing somebody had broken their hip, and wanted to give it a bit of extra protection just in case they happen to fall on it again… does anyone have any good recommendations for protective shorts?

I’m thinking relatively light weight, not full on body armour, and for fairly modest mountain biking and gravelling, at least at first. The Endura MT500 Protector ones look like they could be good, but does anyone have any first-hand experience?

My old 661 action pants from about 20 years ago might be in the loft somewhere, but they were pretty basic thin foam, and ideally I reckon a decent chamois would be good. Though I guess padded shorts could just go over some comfy ones…

fazzini

I was going to suggest something like the endura ones, or as a ‘cheap’ option, some American football hip pads – however, I’ve just seen the price of them nowadays (how times have changed since my playing days) and I’d probably recommend cycling specific ones.

duncancallum

Ahhh my thread has arrived I got a THR at 31. I used fox armour pants for a year then the paranoia went away and I don’t worry now.

Took a couple of years and a couple off offs to settle me down though.

gray

How did the THR pan out, if you don’t mind me asking? How long ago was that?

My break was fixed with screws, but whether that lasts or not all depends on whether my bones restore the blood supply to the head of my femur. If that doesn’t work out then the head will essentially die (avascular necrosis) within a year or two and then THR will be the likely outcome.

1timmy1
    Free Member

I bought several hip protection shorts after wanting something for uplift days. They vary wildly with fit, so the only way to try them on is to buy several and send back the ones that don’t fit you. I found some fit my legs but not waist, or the protection didn’t stay on my hips when peddling, or the chamois really wasn’t comfortable.

So long story short, I ended up with the Endura’s! They are comfortable,I can wear them all day and the protection stays where it should. They are machine washable (some are not!) which was important to me. I’ve not crash tested them yet and hope I don’t anytime soon!

gray

Thanks, that’s good to know!

TheBrick
    Free Member

I was looking for something similar and came across decathlon hand ball shorts. Haven’t tried yet but looks good not as thick as some snow boarding shorts

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-padded-shorts-hsh500p-black-white/_/R-p-310690

sillysilly
    Free Member

I picked up these in the Chain Reaction sale https://sixsixone.com/products/evo-compression-short. Chamois not a good as my best road shorts but perfect for MTB. Wanted for enduro, seems very low pain for the protection they offer.

duncancallum

Gray if you want I can give you a call.

It’s a longish story.

THR is mint

The break @25 and the 6yrs to that point not brilliant.

I broke my pelvis and damaged the femoral head

VanHalen

I gave the fox titan hip protection and the poc d30 hip. The fox is basically soft foam and useful for rash protection only not impact. The poc will do impact to a point but it’s still foam. The poc would have saved my hip as I hig ground rather than a pointy rock.

When I went to revolution 8weeks after breaking my hip I used both at the same time! Fox under the poc as the poc felt too firm against my hip.

I use the fox more as the poc isn’t a great fit. If the fit was better the poc might be used more. They are both hot to wear.

The chamois is odd in both. The fox is massive and the poc tiny. I don’t really give a crap about the chamois though. I only use them for when things are getting spicy.

paton
    Free Member

Google impact MTB shorts.

O’neal, Dainese, Fox, poc, Raceface, Alpinestars etc

Something that you really need to try on before buying.
    Some impact protection shorts have the pads too high up or too far forward for some.

paton
    Free Member

Bone health is dependant on good diet and quality intake of protein.

Google bone health protein.

paton
    Free Member

The screwplate that is used in hip fractures can be slightly obtrusive for a while.
    But it can be the internal stitches and staples used that causes the most discomfort. And possible irritation around the hip, making you more aware of that area of your body.

paton
    Free Member

Has anyone who trains to power ever broken their hip?

Some people recover quicker than others from a hip fracture.

The blood supply is affected by how soon after the bone is broken to the operation to fix it.
    Only a few hours is good, a few days is not so good.

gray

Thanks very much guys, that’s really helpful. I’m now three weeks in. Surgeon said that I can ‘touch weight bear’, which means 10-15 kg on my bad leg for the first 6 weeks, at which point I’ll be seeing him again and having an x-ray, and then the following 6 weeks will probably be still on two crutches but with some degree of slow increase in the amount of weight.

They didn’t really give me any exercises to do, physio in the hospital was hugely overstretched so basically checked that I could get up and down stairs and use a loo (on crutches) then punted me out the morning after surgery. I’ve found exercise sheets from a different NHS trust that I’m following though. Just basic stuff, mainly for range of motion and perhaps to help reduce the amount of muscle wastage.

Duncan – I’m glad your THR has worked out for you, 6 years is a long time to get it sorted! Thanks for the offer of a call, but I won’t waste your time, everyone’s experience is a bit different. It is reassuring that so many people with replacements or resurfacing seem to go on to do active stuff, so as a worst case scenario it’s not the end of the world!

speedstar

Have both sixsixone compression and EVOC ones and both have been great. As said above, compression pad is fine for MTB.

duncancallum

I had nacrosis and being in my 20s had to fight for the replacement. Best thing I did.

My mate also knocked his femoral head off and has a big bolt holding it on. Think he did 18000miles last year on a road bike…

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’ve not broken my hip but I have broken my back and have brittle bones (if you search my forum history far back enough there’s whole threads on it..)

I use 661 Evo compression shorts although mine are now quite old so not sure if new ones exist / are the same etc. I have 5 pairs!! Remember to take the pads out for washing and they’re hot on a hot day but I’ve gotten used to it. Chamois seems fine to me but I also have been known to ride chamois free so am likely not the best judge.

I’ve been eyeing up some Leatt ones but haven’t got as far as actually testing any.

I also have some Gform but the sizing is terrible and the protection feels like it’s in the wrong spot (personal opinion).

I have looked at a few snowboarding liners but they haven’t looked as comfortable.

StirlingCrispin

I wear crash pants all the time due to a history of thigh haematomas.

My favourites for general use are Evoc. The PoC ones offer better coverage but are a bit bulkier. My 661 ones are too sweaty and are worn as a last resort.

They don’t all have a crotch pad – which really makes a difference for comfort – and this varies from batch to batch. So check before wearing.

symes
    Free Member

Sending healing vibes, I broke my hip 4 years ago and it is fixed with 4 screws. I tried to get back cycling too soon on a trainer and had to stop due to issues. Took about 7 months before getting out on the bike outside, 18 months before cycling another century but that was hard. Since then my fitness has wavered due to hip pain and never really having the power as before the break, I think the alignment is slightly out but not helped by age too. Just make sure you do the flexing that is recommended, it may seem unnecessary but will help a lot later.

gray

Thanks all. May be a bit premature, but I’ve ordered a couple of options to try on so that I’m ready as soon as I get the green light to ride!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Hip protection’ is closed to new replies.