• This topic has 30 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mjsmke.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Hip pack/Bum bag
  • Bucko

I think it’s about time I try one on local rides. Has anyone seen any bargains before I decide if I want to spend proper money?

ads678

The Dakine hotlaps (I think) was on sale at a few places a while back. Stif and tredz had it for around £20 or something.

It didn’t fit me so I got a camelback one from wiggle that came with a bottle for about the same price and it’s really good. Not massive, but enough room for tools and bits and bobs for local rides. Nice in the summer when you don’t want a pack making your back all sweaty….

Edit: mine was a camelback podium, Merlin have them for 25.

biggee

I have just been through this process and started off with a Dakine Hotlaps 2, but found found it just too small to be useful. It’s a nice bit of kit but not for me.
    Next I moved on to an Evoc Hip Pack Pro (the version without the bladder) and have found it works brilliantly for my use. Just enough room for essential tools, mobile phone and a lightweight jacket – perfect for local 2 to 3 hour rides. It really does make a difference on summer rides not having a hot sweaty back and makes you think about what you “really need” for a quick blast out. I use a bottle cage to carry my H2O supplies and this makes the pack so much lighter – I even found myself having to check that I was still carrying the hip pack.
    When you start overloading a hip pack I have found it starts to get uncomfortable and I’m happier using a backpack when I need more kit, or want to take the camera along for an outing…

weeksy

Blacks £5…. does the job well… cheap and cheerful.

TheBrick
    Free Member

got a link weeksy?

chakaping
    Free Member

camelback podium, Merlin have them for 25.

I’ve started using mine recently.

Nice little pack, great bottle, bit too small to fit my pump (Blackburn Mtn Air IIRC) though so I just use it when I’d be happy to ride back on a flat tyre (with an insert).

Deffo worth a go if they still have them for £25, it could take a smaller pump I expect.

phil5556

I splashed out on the Evoc Hip Pack Pro too, after mates complained about there others flapping about.

It fits really well and doesn’t move about much, even when it’s loaded up with bottles.

My wife has the same with the bladder which she uses occasionally but it does limit the space, bottles on the outside for maximum capacity.

the00
    Free Member

The Osprey ones include a bladder, which I think makes them good value. I’m very pleased with mine. Just be sure to upgrade the hose magnet to a proper clip.

lawman91

+1 for the Hot Laps, I have the Stealth and 2L one and they are awesome, very comfortable and just choose which one for whatever type of ride I’m doing, but been doing longer 25+ mile rides with the 2L one recently with an extra bottle.

Bucko

Thanks guys, lots to think about. Nice to know I don’t have to spend £75+ to get something usable

pothead
    Free Member

I bought a cheap North Face bumbag and found it to be useless on the bike as it bounced around too much. Now have a Bontrager rapid pack (not the bladder version) and I rarely use a backpack any more

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/bags-racks/hydration-packs/bontrager-rapid-hip-pack-black__317731

phil5556

I tried the Bontrager as well and if it’s big enough for what you want is a great choice (I wanted bigger).

argee

I’ve gone up to the evoc hip pack pro like others, just more room and the ability to carry 2 extra bottles on hot summer rides, prefer bottles over bladder, as I can just stick normal off the shelf bottles in and bin them when done.

It’s got the best fitment as well, so much easier than the ones I had previously to adjust and use.

masterdabber
    Free Member

The Osprey ones include a bladder, which I think makes them good value. I’m very pleased with mine. Just be sure to upgrade the hose magnet to a proper clip.

What clip are you using?

Bucko

the00

Which model do you have? The Seral 4 or 7?

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve an alpkit one, it’s brilliant and it’s currently on sale

Vora 6L

adds

For local short rides i got a Bannana industries one. Good quality and i fitted phone, snack, small lightweight jacket in (Howies Dyfi). Simple padding and strap so if you don’t stuff heavy items it would be alright for most MTB stuff, well unless its really rough i reckon (Not had chance to fully try it yet)For the money for short rides its decent.

Bucko

After doing some more thinking, and checking out all the above recommendations, I’ve realised that I really want a bladder for hydration. I suppose i just want to replace my Camelback Lobo backpack for something off the shoulders to feel more free.

So the Osprey Seral 7 for £53 at Go Outdoors seems like a bargain

Bucko

Or the Camelbak LR4…

the00
    Free Member

I have the Serial 7. Big enough for 1.5 litres, a proper compliment of tools and pump and tube, a thin jacket and a little food too.

The hose clip is I think Vaude, but it was just whatever was suitable and available. It cost pennies so I bought a couple.

redthunder
    Free Member

I like the harness. My current bum bag has a simple rope and larkshead hack. Just takes that bit of weight of the hip and no tummy squish.

Might try one of these 🙂

coynie09
    Free Member

Just got myself The Dakine hotlaps 5l (bladder for hydration) from Stif only used it a couple of times so for so good but had to change the magnet clip as i couldn’t get on with it so swapped it for a spare Camelbak one way better

docrobster
    Free Member

I have had a camelback podium for the last couple of years. It’s all I need now for summer rides up to 3 hours. Bottle isn’t huge but is really nice. Easy to access and replace on the bike. I tend to have a second bottle on the frame and swap them over when first bottle is empty. I can fit my lezyne micro pump in along with multi tool zip ties snack keys etc. For some reason I keep my phone in shorts pocket but it would fit.
    Spare tube strapped to frame. Don’t notice I’m wearing it.
    It’s not big enough to take a waterproof as well so I tend to take the backpack on days where multiple clothing options are needed

el_boufador

Went over to bumbags a few years ago and never looked back.

Bontrager rapid pack is my favorite – just big enough for most local rides and doesn’t move around.

Osprey savu if I need something a little bigger

I hardly ever wear a full backpack now. Probably only ever when bivvyig and I have run out of space.

For those of you who don’t get on with the smaller bumbags, are you still trying to carry everything in them? Bumbags work better when combined with a strategy of strapping stuff to your bike..e.g. bottle in cage, micropump on holder next to bottle, small saddle bag for inner tube and tyre levers

Etc.

chakaping
    Free Member

So the Osprey Seral 7 for £53 at Go Outdoors seems like a bargain

I have this bag, it’s excellent and I would buy again for sure.

momo

I’ve got a Seral 7 too, really nice bag, good fit, plenty of adjustment on the main strap and smaller compression straps to pull it in a bit when not full. Bladder is easy to fill.

Bucko

I picked up a Osprey Seral 7 today, it’s a really nice bit of kit. The Camelbak Repack LR4 was very tempting but it just made sense for me to go for the larger pack when I’m coming from a 9lt Camelbak Lobo

Cheers for the help guys

masterdabber
    Free Member

I’ve got the Seral 7 and the drink tube magnet arrangement is as bad as I knew it would be from reviews.

I’m planning to try one of these retractable badge jobbies.  Plenty of diferent types available.

retractable badge jobby

Alternatively better magnet/clasp

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got the Seral 7 and the drink tube magnet arrangement is as bad as I knew it would be from reviews.

I broke mine by shutting it in the van door.

Now I just tuck the hose under the waist belt. It’s more secure than the magnet and no additional bother.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve got the hot laps 5l. Picked up from the PSA on here sometime last year.

Works well enough, can be a bit flappy if I don’t stay on top of the adjustment straps as the water bladder decreases in volume. It’s got enough space for stuff for most rides.

Its not sufficient for a day ride unless I have a guaranteed water top up. (As a bona fide sweaty giffer™, my record is 5l for a summer day ride) and it can be a squeeze for adequate food for the long days.

Its been really good for allowing me to run cooler overall, which is something I wasn’t expecting.

mjsmke

I have an Evoc 1l hip pack. Doesn’t move about much. But if you have a small waist it might not go tight enough. I have it on the tightest setting for my 28 inch waist.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.