Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • High Roller rotation direction question
  • swoosh
    Free Member

is there a right way round to put these on?

I know on the side wall there is a rotation arrow but someone once told me that you should turn the front one round so that it digs in under braking but run the rear on the way they recommend so that it reduces the drag of them. is this true or was someone just talking horse-dung?

steveh

Run em both the way they say. Slightly less braking grip but much better round corners and will roll better.

Michelin comp 16 is a similar tread pattern and the arrow states to run them in the opposite direction but everyone ignores it as it’s wrong.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Lots of dh’ers run the rear in the opposite direction so it digs in better under breaking. Never heard of anyone changing the front.

bomberman
    Free Member

hang on a minute, i thought if you run them the right way round they have max braking effect? it’s the back one you turn round to get a better grip/drive/scoop effect

DustyLilac
    Free Member

I’ve only ever seen a reversed front Highroller. Never tried it myself, but I do run a Highroller on the front and a front Minion on the rear on the big bike. I reckon running one in reverse would increase the drag a lot, specially a 2.5 supertacky ground anchor.

solamanda
    Free Member

The marked arrow direction on highrollers is the direction for best braking grip. On the comp 16s the arrow direction is for power traction, so fit them reverse.

nickc

They are very draggy the wrong way round.

very draggy.

Did I mention how draggy they are?

tinsy
    Free Member

I have heard they drag the wrong way around, not sure where I heard it now…. 🙂

glenh
    Free Member

Due to the ramped bocks, they roll and brake best in the indicated orientation.

You might get better traction under power in loose conditions with the rear reversed as the edges would dig in, but it would also be worse on hard surfaces (eg. wet rocks) due to less of the block’s rubber in contact.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

I reckon they put that little arrow marked ‘rotation’ on there for a reason

geetee1972
    Free Member

I defy anyone to tell the difference. So confident am I in this assertion, that I will give £100 to the first person who, in a blind test, correctly identifies which was round the tyres are facing. You can use your own bike if you like.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

I’m not riding my bike blindfolded, even with the tyres on the right way round.

I can tell the difference between Swampthings and Ignitors though, so there

theotherjonv

I run the rear reversed, perfect for loose loamy climbs that are quite common in my neck.

adstick
    Free Member

A blind test! sounds dangerous. 🙂

the ‘corners’ on the tread are the bits that make any tyre work. High Rollers are meant to be run so that the corners will work in the braking direction, the chamfered edge on the other side is the reason they are called High Rollers…

Some tyres are similar enough in both directions that you’re unlikely to notice a difference, however I’m pretty sure I’d notice if my front HR was on backwards.

james
    Free Member

“I defy anyone to tell the difference. So confident am I in this assertion, that I will give £100 to the first person who, in a blind test, correctly identifies which was round the tyres are facing”

I’ll give it a go, an easy £100 up for grabs there. Just feel/touch the tread to work out which way round it is. It’d be dead easy

solamanda
    Free Member

I’ll take that bet thank you. Quick brake test over some soft steep ground will easily differentiate.

rolymo
    Free Member

my continentals have seperate arrows for front and rear use on the same tyre.

suppose you just stick to what the designers advise, different patterns will work better reversed on the front -others may not be designed to be switched.

dont think i would reverse the rear, it would have to be seriously loose to make it worth the extra drag everywhere else.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Try fitting the front wheel in backwards, and see if you can tell the difference….. ❓

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dave_aber

easy, no front brakign when the rotors on the wrong side :p

FWIW i ran my 2.1’s with the rear set to act as a paddle wheel on loose surfaces, and the front the other way round.

although running them both flat faces foreward would yield traction in certain contions ( bigger surcace area in contact and transfering the force, so lower shear stress, analogy: rub your hands together, now rub your fingernails accross your hand, which has the most friction?)

nickc

I’d take that bet as well, I reckon High Rollers are about the only tyre you’d notice the direction change

geetee1972
    Free Member

Er yeah, Dusty Lilac and Ad Stick got the joke! The rest of you are welcome to ride your bikes blindfold. 😀

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘High Roller rotation direction question’ is closed to new replies.