Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • High BP
  • tjagain

With a BP in the levels you have I would try a 3 month serious attempt at better lifestyle. Reduces salt and sugar intake, lose weight, learn stress reducing exercises, cycle home from work or exercise for 20 mins after getting home etc etc. If no improvement then go on meds

On BP readings – watching the monitors means you get biofeedback which alters the readings – usually in the way you do not want

After many boring nightshifts I can alter my heart rate from 65 – 85 and my BP from 105 / 50 to 135/ 80 just by thinking about it

So don’t get too hung up on individual numbers but look at trends over time

burko73

I seem to be yokaiser. Same age same issue. Currently on ramipril and amlipodene. No Ill effects.

Feel fitter than ever this yr but had a bit of a stressful one at work perhaps. Got into running but suffering with my shins a bit.

Need to lose a bit of weight, get out on the bike more. Kids plus work equals less time for yourself than ideal – need to get a turbo perhaps and try swift or whatever for the winter.

Drac

Stop eating cheese.

Dear me this keeps getting worse.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Stop eating cheese.

Dear me this keeps getting worse.

My Grandad ate cheese. He’s dead.

My son doesn’t like cheese. He’s still alive.

Makes you think.

Drac

#fact

😂

yosemitepaul

Why is it that whenever a subject comes up at home, then STW has an appropriate thread just started!!
    Am watching with great interest.
    My own BP has for the last 5 years been on the edge. Probably about 135/80. However over the last couple of months due to a knee injury and lack of exercise its being slowly rising. Now hovering at 165/90
    I’m off to see the Doc tomorrow morning. I never knew about caffeine. I don’t drink much coffee but stopped 15 mins ago when I read this thread. I drink a couple of beers a week and am a stone overweight.
    Hopefully I’ll get a telling off and told to shed a few pounds. I only had my Meniscus fixed 5 days ago, so am laid off for another week or so, I could certainly start getting fitter. I only ran a half marathon a couple of months ago; where has the fitness gone??

robbo1234biking

Beetroot is good for blood pressure isn’t it? You can get tablets now rather than juice or eating lots of it!

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’m trying beetroot juice to see if it has any effect, also trying bananas. I’ve read something relating to the level of potassium Vs sodium. I’d also recommend trying my fitness Pal for a week or so, get an idea of your salt intake, it’s amazing where it sneaks in.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

How are any of the high BP folks getting on? I’m currently back at the docs, medication has work wonders but still on the pre/high side.

v8ninety

Mines hovering around the 135/85 mark now, on ramipril and amilodipine. I’ve got an appointment with nephrology next week to look into primary causes for my rather extreme hypertension (200/110ish pre meds) as it doesn’t fit well with my lifestyle, diet and habits. I’m hardly a paragon of virtue, but I don’t smoke, drink sensibly, exercise regularly and maintain a reasonable diet, when compared to the genpop. I’m not sure whether I’m hoping they find something or whether I’m hoping they don’t, to be honest 😳

boomerlives
    Free Member

I’ve heard recently that one of the biggest reducers of BP is apparently more sleep.

Get an extra hour a night and see what happens.

#notadoctor

lowey

I started on ramipril last March nut moved to Amlodipine due to Ramipril giving me a horrendous cough.

BP now generally reduced from high 160 / 110 now hovering around 138/90. Still not great.

maccyb
    Free Member

Joining the club here… I could definitely do most of the lifestyle things to improve my health (though I have low stress and get plenty of sleep), but high blood pressure is on both sides of the family, and my sister, who is active and certainly doesn’t need to lose weight, still has ‘Unexplained Familial Hypertension’ and thus high BP despite a battery of tests. She’s on Ramipril now, and I’m going to be following suit shortly – not that it means I won’t have to do any of the lifestyle improvements, but it will hopefully mean I won’t be incurring any longer-term damage while I work on it.

shermer75
    Free Member

The other lifestyle change you can make is a new job within a 30-60 minute cycle commute. I had that for 3 years and was the slimmest and fittest I’ve ever been! It’s good because it forces you to do the exercise, so no motivation issues, plus you’re making use of your commute which is otherwise pretty unpleasant and non-productive

Freester

OP here was about to update this thread and noticed a few new posts.

Last Saturday (4th Jan) I started following Michael Mosley’s Blood Sugar Diet. Although aimed at Type 2 and pre-diabetics it also has been proven to lower BP.

I’ve followed the BSD for 8 days now the results have been astounding. By Thursday my BP was down to an acceptable level.

The BSD is about cutting out sugar, refined carbs and starch so bread, pasta, rice, potatoes. But also no low fat products so cheese, butter milk etc are ok in moderation. A bit like Atkins but get your carbs from plenty of veg.

It’s taken a bit of thought and planning especially with 3 nights away but I stuck rigidly to the diet this week. Saw my GP last night where he just said ‘wow’ after taking my BP.

Currently the diet is calorie controlled. The plan is after 6-8 weeks follow the same diet with the same ingredients but up the portions.

I like the food / recipes. I haven’t been too hungry and when I do get the odd pang it passes by drinking water or tea.

This does have to lead to a lifestyle change around how I eat. I’m still exercising / riding but as my GP said last night you can’t exercise away from a bad diet.

v8ninety

Have any of my fellow newly medicated peeps noticed an effect on cardio performance? I regularly run a 5k route and have found that I’m 3-4 mins slower post meds now. I’m trying not to let this bother me but it is somewhat demotivating, which is counterproductive with the whole health thing, tbh. Still, my BP is definitely healthier.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘High BP’ is closed to new replies.