Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • High 5 tablets with caffeine and not sleeping – anyone else have this problem?
  • brooess
    Free Member

I usually drop one of the High 5 tablets (the ones with caffeine) in my bottle when I go riding my road bike. On a hot day I’ll take two bottles, so 2 tablets in total.

A few times, when I’ve either drunk both bottles, or just gone riding later in the day (rather than a 9am start) I’ve not been able to sleep that night – in a Red Bull wide-awake kind of a way…

Anyone else had this problem or am I super-sensitive to caffeine?

neilm
    Free Member

I use them a lot, although usually just one in a small drink bottle.

I’ve never had any trouble getting to sleep after using them, but then I’m 54 and after a hard ride I’m absolutely knackered, so sleeping is never a problem.

timidwheeler

No problems at all.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Yes. I avoid try to avoid all caffeine after 4pm. This includes tea, coffee and, most definitely, energy drinks with added caffeine!

If I do have caffeine later in the day I can’t sleep. It’s a powerful stimulant!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yep, caffine stops me sleeping too, who’d have thought it!

They are good for early starts in winter though, get’s the blood pumping.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes, so I give them away to other people if any caffiene ones come my way now.

Only use them if racing, and then sparingly.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Used them on the LEL. Kept me going nicely for the first couple of days, had no problem sleeping (for average of 3 hours/night for 4 nights) each night. Cut back for the second half though so I wasn’t ruined when i finished.

rocketman
    Free Member

I’ve not been able to sleep that night

As above one tablet has a fair old dose of caffeine (200mg, two cups of espresso) with a half-life of 6 hours so it’s hardly surprising you have difficulty sleeping 🙂

I find them very effective but I won’t touch ’em after 3pm

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Your probably one of the 1/10 people that is caffeine sensitive probably best to avoid caffeine later in the day, for the other 9/10 caffeine is normally metabolised pretty quickly with the average cup of coffee only lasting 30-45 mins in the system before needing topping up as its spent. and on average a red bull only stays in your system for around the hour mark all depending on how fast your body’s metabolism is unlike the effect it has on your bowel that like energy gel’s takes a good meal to before it stops 😆

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

I have never heard this 30-45 min thing, I thought as mentioned above that 6 hours is the normal half life. Some things can make it much longer.

I thought the tabs were 65mg each. If you dont have any other form of caffeine then I guess a couple of tablets can keep you up although it would not affect me. I find 250mg is okay as long as it is before 3 or 4pm.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘High 5 tablets with caffeine and not sleeping – anyone else have this problem?’ is closed to new replies.