• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by bsims.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hi Viz for kids
  • bsims
    Free Member

Mini has outgrown his orange riding hoody and has reached an age when he is very picky about the colours he wears. Not being an extrovert he would not have the red option and now has a dark blue soft shell for riding in. He has agreed to still wear his orange helmet on the road, so that is something.

Anyway the question is what other visibility products could I coax him to wear – he has some bright gloves still. I was thinking that one of those fluorescent sash type things would provide contrast against the blue and provide some independent movement over a hi viz vest (assuming he would wear either) making him more visible. he will be using lights.

I don’t want to force him to wear anything as he will point blank refuse to ride, cutting off his nose to spite his face as it were.

Any experiences and ideas welcome.

Thanks

benv
    Free Member

HIV is not for kids.

bsims
    Free Member

Thanks for the positive response!

kayak23

When I was a kid we wore fluorescent socks, but odd colours on each foot.

We were so cool. That was the eighties mind…

Try him with that.

benp1

Tricky one this. My older two (7 and 8) wear a hi vis vest when sitting on the back of my cargo bike and to be honest rarely ride on the road. They ride to school everyday but it’s a short trip and all on the pavement (it’s a 7 minute walk)

What about reflective and hi vis ankle straps, they’re good at identifying you as a cyclist. motorcyclists sometimes wear something called an H belt, it’s a hi vis sam browne type thing, that might also work but is it really that different from a straight up hi vis vest?

I’d recommend lights but it’s an extra layer of faff for the kids and sometimes they forget to turn them off

Bez

HIV is not for kids.

Thanks for the positive response!

Let’s talk about visibility aids…

Anyway, personally I’d say get lights. IME younger kids love lights and hate being made to dress up in safety gear. (Which in our house is fine, because I’m of exactly the same view.)

Surprisingly, dynamo lights seem to go down really well—I’ve had my kids ask for them, and it means you don’t have the usual issues with lights. Admittedly it can be a bit of a faff as you work through the lower wheel sizes (and to be honest I’ve always used battery lights on their bikes) but it’s an option.

How old is he, anyway? I assume old enough to be riding alone on the road in the dark if you’re bothered about this stuff?

MoreCashThanDash

Lights are cooler, and often more effective,than hiviz.

Reflectives also better when it’s dark, especially on pedals, shoes and ankles due to the movement.

Ultimately, safety is more important than cool, so dress safe, or don’t ride.

Bez

Ultimately, safety is more important than cool, so dress safe, or don’t ride.

You are Dangerman AICMFP 😉

NewRetroTom

We just had Viz when I were a lad, no Hi-Viz.

mogrim

We just had Viz when I were a lad, no Hi-Viz.

It was funnier back then, too.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Reflective ankle straps work really well – I use WOWOWs that I got from Halfords some years back. You can still get them – the ones that wrap themselves are better than toe-clip style or velcro ones e.g. https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/branded-bicycle-parts/wowow/wowow-reflective-band/

You can also stick reflective tape on Helmets and bike frames to make you and your bike more visible: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/stick-on-reflective-strips/?sku=101819597

bsims
    Free Member

Thanks all,

He already uses lights, the orange hoody is a strong colour and stands out well but perhaps I am being overly concerened. He has his flat pedals on so no reflectors there, the bike is black with orange accents -Orbea MX24 trail

@Bez
    – He is 8 so not out on his own yet but we do often get back from rides in poor light. Also, as I wear an ornage soft shell I dont want people to see me and not him, there is some awful and truely inatentive driving both in town and on the lanes around here.

@MoreCashThanDash
    – He will take the no ride option and I really dont want to put him off when there is another way. He has agreed to wear his orange helmet when riding on the road is involved and I have added some reflective tape.

@mogrim
    and New Retro Tom – there is no zoo around here so a moped will be useless!!

@kayak23
    – Can you even get them now, I always wanted a pair to wear to school like my friends but was not allowed. I understand why now.

@bartimaeus
    – I was thinking about that kind of thing, so could be a winner.

Esme
    Free Member

How about a little Camelbak with a hi-vis cover?

bsims
    Free Member

Thanks Esme, he has a camelbak which he would be wearing in that event, its light blue so that will contrast against the dark blue. It looks quite dull against his orange hoody!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hi Viz for kids’ is closed to new replies.